What's new

HTF REVIEW: "The Transporter" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't trust this movie when the advertising for it touted "from the creator of the Professional" but then never ever said who directed it - and the ads seemed to do everything possible to avoid making it evident who did what (including microscopic type in the newspaper ads so you couldn't see who did what).

At least Besson produced it - I thought perhaps the advertising was hiding something even more dishonest, like it was "from the executive who provided the cash for the making of the Professional" or something...

But generally I don't like it when they try to trick you into seeing a film, so I won't see it.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Will, I don't think they were dishonest, Besson not only produced but also co-wrote the screen play. They probably didn't push the director's name (Corey Yuen) because although he's had a pretty extensive career in Asian cinema he's not exactly a household name in the US. So don't let the advertising campaign keep from at least renting the movie if you think you might like it. :)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Watched it a couple of nights ago. Liked it alright, probably a C+ for us. We'd recommend it as a brain-off, nothing else to watch action movie.

And we sorta liked Ecks vs. Sever...

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I was going to buy this after reading Ron's review and plus since I'm a Luc Besson & Jason Stathan fan.
But, I decided to give it a rental.

I sorta enjoyed it, more than I actually thought I was going to.
So now I will have to buy it and add it to my library.

and I will ask the question again, since it was never answered from the previous person asking it.
WHAT IS SO FUNNY/GREAT ABOUT THE END?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Bought it yesterday, watched it last night. Linda and I both really enjoyed it. Basic plot with some holes, but the action made up for those short-comings. A worthy purchase for us. Good clean fun.

I did notice that the bass seemed excessive with the music yet lacked with explosions and the surrounds seemed weak at times.

Peace out~:D

Gregory E

Second Unit
Ummmmm.....Kevin....I think your footer is a little too big.
Might wanna cut that down a few hundred pixels. ;)

Edit: I see it's changed.Thanks!

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Based on Rons review, even though i rarely like movies like this , if i can find a bargain price ill get it. I rarely rent anymore.

Ian B

Stunt Coordinator
I did notice that the bass seemed excessive with the music yet lacked with explosions and the surrounds seemed weak at times.

I am with you on the bass. It started nice and strong and then faded away.specially during the bmv explosion and the house explosion I could not get enough LFE through my Harman Kardon receiver. I had the volume at -10 which is typically unheard off for this receiver.

If you like bass, rent it first.

Ian B

Andy Overby

Stunt Coordinator
I actually picked this up release week at my local Walmart for 13.88 with Drumline for the same price. Watched it last night late, and enjoyed it. Mindless and fun.

-A

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the same thing. The music was boom boom boom but the explosions, in comparison, had very weak LFE. I'm not a huge fan of excessive bass and boom, but I was a bit surprised at how lacking it was after reading numerous glowing reviews about the audio.

Continuning on the boom boom boom music, I thought it was detrimental to the film. I'm a huge fan of film music, but it pains me to hear such disjointed crap deployed in a film. Also, why do film makers constantly ruin their car chases with music? All I want to hear during a chase is the roar of the engine and some squealing tires.

It was a decent 87 minutes or so of mindless entertainment, but it scored zero for rewatchability. I'm glad it was just a rental.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
I don't watch disks. I watch movies. Personally, I'd like to see a double-sided two aspect disk with all the "extras" on the side with the full-screen, and the wide-screen side have only DTS and 5.1 sound - no commentaries, no extras, just the flick.

This is NOT a movie for bass shakers. The music is so bass/LFE oriented that they get a workout, but it's more distracting. I ended up turning off my shaker amp. The explosions, etc., just seemed lacking, regardless of the use of the shakers or not...

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
This is NOT a movie for bass shakers. The music is so bass/LFE oriented that they get a workout, but it's more distracting. I ended up turning off my shaker amp.
I had do the exact same thing. My couch was vibrating continuously from the bass shakers. I guess the next time my gf comes over I will know what movie to put in and turn on only the shakers. :D

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Freak,

One of the best actions shows I've seen in awhile. Really.

Yes I caught myself rolling my eyes into the back of my head a few times but cripes, this movie never slows down.
Well worth the rental - I'll be picking this one up used at BB when it's available.

BTW Eck vs Severs is one of the WORST action films I've seen in awhile. I rented that one hoping that the Antonio Bandares of "Desparado" fame would at least make a 15 min "kick ass" appearance. Utter crap. It's a shame someone thought to mention it in the same sentance as the Transporter.

Michael.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
This one definitely is a "guilty pleasure"! I enjoyed this one! The action was kick butt and the story while it strained credibility was certainly watchable.

Hey i'd like to see a franchise!

Ned

Supporting Actor
Rented this ho-hum flick a few days ago.

Video was 7/10 at best. Being only a single layer flipper all you get is 4.5gb and it shows. Wide shots have no detail, only closeup's looked sharp. Skin tones were rather orangey too.

The audio was rather odd. When he slams the trunk shut in 3 scenes, I could feel the slam from my SVS. But then the explosions had virtually no bass at all, even from the 3rd you-know-what at his house. The score was dull/lifeless at several points, especially noticeable in fight scenes where it should enhance the action (Blade 1 is a good example).

Far from demo material and only worth a rent at best :thumbsdown:

PS: that "15 minutes of unrated fight footage" was a big yawn too. Quality was rubbish (workprint stuff) and most of it was the same as the theatrical sequences. I was hoping they would allow the extra footage to be weaved into the movie with branching. What was I thinking!? :)

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Watched last night on my 106" screen and was blown away by the video quality. I watch a lot of HD and this DVD looks darn close using a HTPC with a Radeon card and WinDVD Platinum. Best transfer I have seen in a while.

Sound was also fantastic.

As mentioned by Ron, definitely popcorn flick, so pop some up and enjoy!

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
Fun flick, but I'll go with the french disc, which does not only have DTS, but also the uncut version of the movie (the deleted scenes from the R1 are in the movie itself) and some more deleted scenes as extras which do not appear on the US Disc.

-Mathias

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks