What's new

HTF REVIEW: "The Simpsons: The Complete Second Season" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Wow. Went home for lunch and plugged in one of my favorite all-time episodes, "Lisa's Substitute". What a blast hearing Dustin Hoffman (a.k.a. "Sam Ettic") again.
Can't wait to sit down and watch 'em all!
Link Removed

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I am totally in awe of the quality of these shows. The images are far and away the best they've ever looked, and I have to agree with the words of the commentary of one of the last episodes of this disc - the shows from this season are so consistant with episodes currently being produced.

The nitpickker in me concurs with comments made about the initial "spinning disc" menu - once is cute. 4 or 5 times is a pain in the ass.

Peter Staddon, if you're reading this, don't let future editions be saddled with overzealous menus - let them entertain, but don't make them a chore.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
All you do is hit menu and it immediately takes you to the regular menu. Doesn't seem overzerlous to me.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me or are the commentaries funnier than the episodes? Probably because I've seen all the episodes before, but the commentaries are absolutely hilarious. I love the way that James L. Brooks walks in halfway through the first episode commentary.

I must say, I do miss having coherent storylines like the second season has... alot of the current episodes would be great if they could just stay on one train of thought. It's like the last few seasons have had writers with ADD.

Just got my set in the mail yesterday (finally!) and am loving it.
One utterly unimportant glitch came with my set -- did anybody else get a season 1 sticker on the outside of his/her box?
I'm not kidding! I usually love to peel and save promotional stickers, but this one is on the wrong set: "Collector's Edition - 3-Disc Set - The Complete First Season." (FWIW, my set came from Amazon.)
I mention it only to reinforce what Ron et al. have been saying, that manufacturing these boxes, with all the various parts, must be quite an undertaking. Just the fact that the booklet wasn't included in review copies, and now this little sticker glitch, suggests that Fox must have to work overtime to get these boxes out.
Nonetheless, I do hope they'll have Season 3 out by 1Q03 or 2Q03 at the latest. Two sets a year would be a much better pace.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hi all.
I LOVE THIS SET! SIMPSONS RULE!
OK, thanks for letting me regress for a second.
Season 3 can't come soon enough. ;)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Man, I'm impressed with the box layout/art. Very cool touch to have the DVD art match the tray art, and that mix and match head theme to be used througout.

I like that touch actually, though I don't see any method of putting all the episodes on continuous play. Maybe I missed it as I haven't spent much time with it yet, just 4 shows only so far.

Michael Ballack

Second Unit
The Menus didn't really bother me like it does for most people. I just simply hit the menu button.

I've already watched every epiode with and without commentary for Simpsons Season 2 and I want more. Can't Fox release 2 or 3 Seasons a year without losing quality? I heard they did commentaries already for the first 5 seasons or so.

If it can be done with Star Trek it should be done with The Simpsons. I thought the only reason thay they were slow was the uncertainty on how well tv shows would sell. Both Season One and Season Two have been selling very well.

I hope someone can contact fox on this issue and find out what's the deal. Does it have to do with sindication and milking every little penny out of it? Please Fox!!! Pleeeeaaaaasssseeeeee!!! Me Want More!!!!!!!

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
I know what you mean, I can't imagine having to wait almost a year in between in each season. At that rate, their will be an entirely new format by the time they get to around season 9 or 10. Of course I don't know if I will be interested in the later seasons.:frowning:

Paul W

Second Unit
If pressing the menu button doesn't work, try hitting the return button. Works like a charm for me (Tosh 5109).

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I purchased the Simpsons: The Complete Second Season yesterday at Circuit City. I only watched the first 3 episodes already but it brings back memories of watching the older Simpsons episodes. It is an excellent collection. I also own the Simpsons: The Complete First Season (this is also excellent)

I just wish that FOX would release more Simpsons season-by-season collections faster than they are doing right now (a good number would be 2+ collections per year)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The button the worked for me to get straight to the menus was the skip chapter button, the one you use to go forward in still galleries.

And this was a really great season. The jokes aren't as laugh out loud funny as modern episodes, but the slower pace and better storylines makes them much, much superior to modern episodes where any sort of logic has been thrown out the window.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Great set. My only beef is that the security tag was stuck to the outside of the outer box and, while I fortunately didn't rip the box paper, it did leave a bit of a weird mark after I sloowwwly pulled it offf.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks