What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "The Bourne Identity" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
Indeed a great review. I didn't get to catch this one in the theaters, but my mom said it is one to grab as soon as it hits the shelves. Thanks to your review and her constant reminder, I'll be picking it up for sure. ;)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

NickFoley

Stunt Coordinator
I did not see it in the theaters, but I'll check it out on DVD. Damon has some great movies under his belt.

Scott Barnhart

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Cees,

You said the 1988 version with Richard Chamberlain is out on DVD? Is it R1 by any chance? I have never seen this on DVD anywhere. My wife and I love this version and she will kill me if I don't buy her the DVD if it is available.

Actually, even if it isn't R1, I will probably still buy it since I have a Malata. How is the transfer?

Thanks,

Jim-M

Second Unit
Scott,

DeepDiscountDVD.com has the 1988 version for $14.39 shipped. BestBuy.com has it for $14.99 shipped and DVDSoon.com has it for $13.01 shipped, all according to DVDPriceSearch.com. I've seen it in Wherehouse stores too.

To those looking for a good spy movie, check out the 1965 (?) release of "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold". Richard Burton received a well-deserved Oscar nomination; he was robbed in a lot of folks estimation. Back in the days when a movie relied on plot development and character to be successful :D
Mike

ErichH

Screenwriter
This film was THE biggest supprise for spy movies in general.
The lack of spy toys was the very thing that made this a great film. The only impossible gadget was Bourne himself, which makes for great stoy telling. Damon was the perfect choice.
Best spy since Sean Connery(IMO)
I loved this one!
E

Carol Razavi

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't believe how much I loved this film when I saw it in the theater. This is now my favorite spy film I've seen right behind Mission: Impossible. It felt so realistic. That scene in the hotle room between Damon and Potente felt real. I don't know what it was...but for me..(sorry guys, he's boring) he beats any movie James Bond has been involved with.
Check this out!
Best Suprise of the year (along with Chicago):D

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Scott,
Yes the 1988 is (readily ?) available in R1. I have it in my hands now. Didn't view the film yet (for the reason mentioned above), so I cannot tell you anything about the quality, but it was a TV-movie.
I suppose most e-tailers will carry it. I got mine from Digital Eyes for $14.98.
Cees

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Thanks, Ron.

One of my favorite films this year. Very well done. Thanks for the review. I Hope to see more on Bourne on the big screen.

Take care,
Chuck

Scott Barnhart

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Cees and Jim,

Thanks for the info on the R-1 1988 release. I have now ordered it. Hopefully it will be good quality.

Now I will have to watch the new version and see how it compares with the older version.

Matt_P

Second Unit
Let's hope the B&Ms have a good price on this one...I'm considering a blind buy. I always enjoy these kinds of films. There's something about spying in exotic European settings that I find appealing (and yes, I did actually like The Saint--Philip Noyce can direct, dangit!)

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I'm buying this one on orders from the wife, who I think mostly likes it for Matt Damon. I liked to movie, but as a Ludlum fan I can't help but be a bit disappointed by the significant changes from the book. I didn't care for the 1988 version, I seem to recall it being more of a romance than a spy thriller.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I just watched this on DVD. I had seen the 240 min original TV movie and you can imagine that I was not that much impressed with this new remake. It’s not a bad movie. It’s actually good. What helps this movie is that they go natural and low-key. It never had the big Hollywood feeling and that makes it a lot more personal and believable.

I have to say that I’m a little disappointed that they never mentioned in the behind-the-scenes making of that this is a remake. It just irritated me when they mentioned several times how this movie is original.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Just got mine in and be careful with the cases. They have new "open" labels on each ends of the spines. This is hard to describe but they fold back, then you can pop open. Weird.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Undercover Brother also had these wacky new keep cases. I think Universal puts them on everything now.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Undercover Brother also had these wacky new keep cases. I think Universal puts them on everything now.
Just watched UB last night ("Solid!"), mine is in a normal keepcase. Do you mean like the case they used for "The Scorpion King"? That's the only one I've seen so far with the little locking tabs.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I highly recommend this movie to anybody looking for a slightly more realistic spy flick (though not TOO realistic to be sure) than xXx and the last... any... Bond movies :D. My favorite spy movie since Ronin to be sure.
The nice thing about this movie is that it really makes you see how the Bourne character is not just physically gifted but how he's mentally on the ball at all times. The scene in the first part of the film involving the embassy illustrates just how sharp Bourne is.
If they came up with a good script I'd love to have a sequel to this one. My favorite summer movie from last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks