What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Star Trek: The Next Generation" Season One (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Just saw the episode "Datalore" again after so many years. I’m wondering how is this episode considered among the season 1 episodes? I ask this because I have very fond memories of this episode and it has a special place with me. It was the very first episode I saw of TNG. So I want to know if I’m just biased or it’s actually considered one of the better episodes of season 1!

todd stone

Screenwriter
Almost done watching the entire season 1. I have 1 episode left, "the neutral zone"

Me and my girl watch 2 a night, since I bought it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Sam, the episode "Datalore" is not only considered one of the top episodes of Season 1, it's usually in the polls listed as among the top 25 of the entire series!

I personally list it as among the top 3 of S1, but my mood decides which one is in which place at any given time: Datalore, The Big Goodbye, and Conspiracy.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Just saw again “Symbiosis” tonight. I was wondering what are your opinions on this episode. I have to say that it bothered me a lot. I think that Picard made the wrong decision. I don’t know why he gave the prime directive (PD) excuse for the one good thing that he could have done and yet again in the previous episodes they always go and do interfere with other people. Aren’t those also the violation of the PD? What do you think?

Britton

Screenwriter
I was too busy laughing at Lt. Yar's anti-drug speech to notice anything else about that stinker of an episode.

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
That whole Prime Directive thing was so inconsistent to be ridiculous. They used it when they wanted to. They probably never should have even created the "Prime Directive" in the STU to begin with.

In "Lonely Among Us" they bring one of the aliens aboard the Enterprise and show her around...yet later on, in later shows, they disguise themselves so as to appear to be from the culture that they were visiting.

THis season is just rife with stinkers. I mean, real embarrassing stinkers. I thought Babylon 5 started clunky! But I'm so glad that I bought the collection. There's a nostalgic feel to it. I remember thinking that I was getting old when I was watching Season One on the air.

I also know that there are eps here and there that are great that I've totally forgotten about because they weren't part of an epic event. For instance one of my favorite eps of all time, and I believe it was in Season 4, was the show where Picard is taught about the culture of a race that was lost and he learns to play the flute. God what a great show! I cried at the end of that one. Was it Who Watches the Watchers?

Here's a totally off-topic question. Now that TNG will be laid to rest with the upcoming movie, is there any chance we are going to see DS9 or Voyager movies? I'd love to see Benjamin Sisko in a movie!!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The one with the flute was 5th season, episode 5.25 (the next-to-last one of the season): "The Inner Light".
Trivia time! Did you know that the young version of the character Batai in that episode was played by Patrick Stewart's son, Daniel? :)
Anyway, this show was 2 after "I, Borg" (with Hugh), followed "The Next Phase" (Geordi and Ensign Ro "die" and become "ghosts" together), and just before "Time's Arrow Part 1" (the one with Mark Twain, played by the same guy who played "Deep Throat" on The X-Files: Jerry Hardin (who also showed in the TNG S1 episode "When The Bough Breaks").
Oh, "Time's Arrow" also had the actor in it who later played DS9's Gul Dukat! :D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and "Who Watches the Watchers" was a Season 3 episode where the Federation scientists are disguised (as you described they do "in later shows") and hidden on a planet, when an accidental explosion reveals them to the natives. In that one, Picard gets shot in the heart with an arrow!
Picard has an artificial heart, as revealed in Season 2's "Samaritan Snare", and the origins of which are shown in the S6 episode "Tapestry", so getting shot in the heart isn't really that much of a problem.

"Lonely Among Us" was the one where the 1701D flies through a strange cloud, the ship starts to malfunction, and then Picard is taken over by an energy being and beams out into the cloud "energy-only". Noone took a tour of the ship. I think you must be recalling the next one down, "Justice", when they brought the Edo girl up to the ship to look at her "God".
Oh, and words were said - unofficially of course - just after Voyager was cancelled that the production staff was glad to be rid of a cast full of troublesome actors who are ungrateful to be working in Star Trek, and that it will be a cold, cold day before a Voyager movie ever happens. That doesn't mean a movie couldn't be made with the most "pliable" cast members from TNG, DS9, and STV (and remaining crew from TOS as well!) that combined crew from all of the shows. In fact, an IMAX movie was being planned along those lines a few years ago, when the Las Vegas attraction first kicked off. The IMAX plans fell through, though...I never heard why. Could still make a cool feature film, though.
In fact, if I had my dithers, the beginning of Nemesis would be at Admiral McCoy's funeral, attended by Spock, Scotty (TOS), Arex, M'ress (TAS; they could be CGI'ed in...who knows how long those aliens live?), The TNG crew (who met him in "Encounter At Farpoint"...Data could speak), and Worf representing DS9 (and linking back up with the TNG crewmates as a result), and perhaps someone could bring along either Janeway or Seven to represent STV. Or maybe Tuvok shows up to represent his old Captain, the ailing Sulu.
Anyway, they decided to go with the happy occasion that you'll see instead (I won't mention the spoiler), missing an opportunity to theatrically acknowledge the loss of De Kelly since Insurrection was shown. Bad choice, if you ask me...especially as the happy event they're going with seemed to be a dead issue until the last movie, and we thought these characters had moved beyond that stuff a long time ago. :rolleyes: Oh well. I think this will be the suckiest even-numbered ST film yet!

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Man, am I confused. I just rented Disc 2 and it starts with episode 107 then 106 then 108, where is 105? Disc 1 ends at 104. What order are we supposed to watch these in? Could they just start at 123456, no that would be to easy.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
The episodes are numbered in the order they are made. They appear on the discs in the order they aired on TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks