What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Star Trek: Insurrection - Special Collector's Edition (1 Viewer)

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Just got this (the Canadian version is in the same 2-disc alpha case as all the others :emoji_thumbsup: ) and I have to say that I've always liked the film, and I enjoyed it again this time around. Lots of action, some half-decent SFX, many funny moments and the chance to see the next gen crew in action one more time. It's got some clunky lines too ("How can I look at another sunrise knowing what my eyesight cost these people?" Sheesh!) but overall it holds up very well.

The transfer is very good. Not as detailed as I would like, but compared to the edge-enhanced mess that was the original I'd rather have it this way. The dts track is nice and spacious (although forced EX decoding didn't really reveal a whole lot) and the extras are great. There are a handful of easter eggs as well.

When you watch the 'Director's Notebook' featurette you'll see why a Frakes commentary was perhaps not necessary, given the amount of waffle in his First Contact track. I love that commentary ("Look at this: Yesssssss!" = comedy gold) but if he did another like that then I can see why it may have been dropped by the suits!

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

My brother got a Star Trek VI in a case like that. For that DVD set there were a few different cases. I think it came from Deep Discount DVD, but I'm not sure.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the first time i saw a double wide with 2 dvdson one side was about a year ago for the new ten commandments dvd.

Britton

Screenwriter

Ah, but as the Vulcans say, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Re: Nick's question of type of cases the CE came in, I purchased my copy of Insurrection here in a SF Bay Area Costco and it is also the same type of case that he's posted.

The current First Contact CE DVD set I purchased also has the same case.

As for the story of Insurrection, I'd suffice it to say it's a big screen adaptation of what could have been a good two part episode. I'm sure it's alreadt been said.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Yep, they do. But I think the key word there is "need". Spock sacrificed himself in TWoK to save his shipmates/family. The Defiant was sacrificed in DS9 so that the crew-her family-could live.

There is no such dilemma here. The people of the Federation would be abnormally prologning their lives through the use of the Ba'ku world. They don't need to live forever; they want to and that makes Starfleet and the Federation incredibly selfish.

If the planet could wipe out all weapons in the universe...or create everlasting peace...something like that, we need. No one needs to live forever.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Hmm...the DTS track on my copy had a glitch on the final moment before the credits - sounded like skipping or a dropout. Anyone else?

I bought it at Costco so an exchange is easy enough.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

My Insurrection came in the old style 2-pager. However, I've gotten 2 ST DVDs in the last year w/ the new, overlapping case: ST VI & ST II. There doesn't seem to be any pattern in how the cases are assigned.

I watched the Insurrection CE over the weekend. I, too, prefer the new transfer. It seemed more natural and film-like, but was still plenty sharp. I also always thought the first one was painfully edgy.

The DTS soundtrack is quite nice. It is one of Goldsmith's best ST scores, but, like the film itself, gets a bit redundant and excessively climactic, so it becomes a bit annoying toward the end of the movie.

Doug

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well I just recieved "Generations" and "First Contact" today through Columbia House ("Insurrection" should arrive tomorrow). The "Generations" case is the same as all the first six. However "First Contact" has the overlapping case that was posted on the last page of this thread. I really don't like that style, since you have to remove disc 1 to get to disc 2. At least on the shelf, with the titles facing outward, they look similar. It'll be interesting to see what my copy of "Insurrection" will be in. Guess I'll know soon enough.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
All of my 2-disc ST DVDs are in the same dual-page cases. The only Paramount DVD I've gotten that had the discs overlapping was last year's release of The Ten Commandments.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

PS I should have qualified the above statement by telling you that I'm still using a 32" CRT, so those with bigger/better/newer displays might have different opinions on the transfer.

Doug

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Maybe I'll cave when I can get if for $10. That tends to be how it goes with me.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Looks like the final 2 disc edition is due out on October 4th according to the digital bits.

Peter Raber

Stunt Coordinator
What could they possibly put on the Nemesis set that would make me double-dip. They already have a director's commentary, making of features and deleted scenes.

I will be interested to see the specs on it, but I doubt I will be picking it up. My CE purchases stops with Insurrection, which I haven't picked up yet but will soon.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Extended cut, perhaps? That's the only thing that will get me to buy this movie for the first time. I think there is a half-way decent movie left on the cutting room floor.

Britton

Screenwriter
Aren't there more deleted scenes that weren't on the first Nemesis dvd? Those scenes and a DTS track would be logical additions if they aren't going to do an extended cut.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

I think it'll be a different cut of the movie; plus don't forget the Okuda trivia track! (To a lot of us that alone is worth 15 bucks!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks