What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Highly Recommended) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
I found the movie and the special features to be outstanding.

Only complaint is that the featurette with Greg Cox often zooms too close to his face so that his hair and chin are "framed" of "cut off" by the screen... I would NOT want to see my face that close to the camera. It was very distracting.

I am not an avid trekkie, but has Shatner held a grudge against Leonard Nimoy and Harve Bennett for a long time? His pettiness sort of shocked me...

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
His pettiness sort of shocked me...
It was a joke, couldn't you tell? I wouldn't take Bill Shatner seriously for one single second. After years of successfully teaming up with Nimoy to raise the stakes in their "favored nation" clauses (what one demands in salary, the other gets as well), plus his well-documented tendency to be a total prankster (hiding Leonard's bicycle on the Desilu set) as well as a groan-inducing punster, I feel very certain that Bill was just hamming it up for the camera again. He loves Leonard.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
Yeah, that totally was a joke. Just check out Mind Meld, they truly do come off as close friends. And the dollar amount quoted ($100 a week more) was so ridiculious it had to be a joke.

-- Matt

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
His pettiness sort of shocked me...
That's just Shatner.

I hate to admit it, but one of my guilty pleasures is some of his writing. "Star Trek Memories" and "Get A Life" have given me some great laughs in the past. You should see him rip into Nimoy in "Get A Life". It's just the relationship they have...they are close friends...

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
In fairness, he also has a wonderful ability to mock himself as well, as seen in the indie FREE ENTERPRISE.

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
Koenig got some of the biggest laughs talking about how Khan could recognize Chekov's face when his character was not around during the original incident. He said that when he read the script, "I immediately saw that Chekov could not have been recognized by Khan, because I was not in 'Space Seed.' I was faced with a real [dilemma] between professional ethics and personal survival. Naturally I chose the latter. I simply didn't mention it, hoping that it would go away."
But then Takei talked Koenig into giving his explanation as to how Khan recognized Chekov, one he used to tell at conventions, and Koenig fired it off rapidly and dramatically: "Actually I was in Space Seed... I was at the time suffering from [an ailment] called Malapropsky's Malady, which is a kind of 23rd-century version of Montezuma's Revenge, and I was ensconced in the bathroom and there for hours and hours, while poor Mr. Khan, genetically engineered kidneys about to explode, pounded pitifully on the bathroom door, banging, banging, and when the doors swung open, I stepped out, and he said..." (He went into an impression of Montalban) "Yoooou! Yoou, I will never forget!!"

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I love reading Ron E.'s reviews!
Always so thorough and informative!
Thanks, Ron!
Looks like I'll have to make room for Khan on the shelf! :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
David,

Thank You very much. Trust me, I work very
hard to do these reviews.

RobGG

Auditioning
Great review....this is the DVD that should have been released in the first place. I bought the first edition, so glad to have a lasting copy of the epic Star Trek....but was completely disappointed with the lack of anything besides the movie. What a waste of DVD capability.....glad to see they're finally making it right. What I can't figure, though, is why they still didn't include the original space seed episode. It would make perfect sense to be included. Oh well.

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
That and or a trailer of NEMESIS, they truly missed a good marketing opportunity here and it would of surely resulted in more Dvd sales, and all for free!
bodym:cool:v'n

Jim-G

Auditioning
I picked up this dvd yesterday.
I am glad I did! some of the new interviews are interesting.
I thought the video looked a bit faded, but it is a 20 year old movie, after all, i am probably just spoiled a bit by modern cinematography :emoji_thumbsup:

Todd K

Second Unit
Time to bring this genetically-engineered thread out of suspended animation.

I need someone to tell me I'm not going crazy (or crazier).

Isn't there a section in the supplements where they reveal that part of the Starfleet Academy set when Kirk and Spock are walking through was a matte painting or something? I watched all the the documentaries on the disc this morning and couldn't find it.

Does anyone know where I could have seen this, or was I just dreaming?

Todd

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Try watching the sequence when Kirk and Spock are walking through the corridor and discussing the birthday gift book. But listen to the audio commentary, that should explain it. I think.

Todd K

Second Unit
You are correct, sir. Many thanks!

It wasn't a matte as I had thought, but a model miniature.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
What I can't figure, though, is why they still didn't include the original space seed episode. It would make perfect sense to be included. Oh well.
The obvious reason for its exclusion: People might watch it and think "What a minute. When did Chekov meet Khan?"

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Whoever shot the extras did a bad, bad job. Could they get any closer to the interviewee? The backgrounds were dull, why not stick up a Trek 2 poster in the background? Liven it up!!! :thumbsdown:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Something weird is a'going on here Kevin, ancient threads resurrected for the skimpiest reasons, one thread was recently bumped up with a dot! ;)
Oh well since I'm here...
[rant]KHAAAAAAAAAN!![/rant]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks