What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Mickey Mouse In Black And White" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Definately not a flap case. It is a double DVD
case divided by a middle layer.

That's the best I can describe it as I can't tell
one type of case from another.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Sorry for my overreaction Ron, the thicker double case with a middle layer is generally referred to as a 'double alpha' alpha, because they use an alpha style hub. Double amarays like gladiator have a the flap for the second dvd and the press down amaray hub for the first. Then there's the other thin case that disney used for Monsters Inc and Beauty and the Beast, I'm not sure what it's called, but it's more sturdy than the Gladiator double amaray case, I'm glad that disney at least went with that style of case, however I don't know what it's called, I assumed it was a "double-cased Nexpak" because that's the case disney had been using lately and was what you called the case (rather than a double alpha) in your review.

I'm really not all that anal about this case difference, I just happen to find the flap cases annoying, like I do with snappers, by no means will it keep me from buying the dvd, it's just a minor presentation issue. And I like my favorite dvds to have a nice packaging presentation as well.

I assumed the tins would be smaller because the double alpha fit so snugly in the first wave that if they didn't redesign the tins, the thinner case would rattle around inside the tin potentially causing damage to the discs.

December 3rd can't get here soon enough!!

Adam

BarryS

Second Unit
Does anyone know why "The Haunted House" (1929) is not included in this set? It's a very early Mickey Mouse 'toon where Mickey and Minnie seek refuge from a storm in a spooky old house which culminates in a musical number complete with the dancing skeletons from the Silly Symphony "Skeleton Dance". Mickey is commanded to play the organ by a dark, hooded figure. I'm very disappointed that this short was not included. It was a childhood favorite of mine.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Man, this is great news about the uncut stuff.
I love collecting cartoons.
Now, we have even more.

Looks like I'll be busy this week with
Mickey, Goofy, Transformers S2PT1 and Lilo & Stitch

These Disney Tins are truly great!
These cartoons have definite replay value.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
BarryS, this is not really an answer to your question, but FYI more than half of the B&W Mickey shorts are NOT included in this set, so there's hardly anything special about the fact that your favorite isn't there. Wait and hope for volume two...

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I asked Leonard Maltin yesterday if any of these cartoons were edited and he said:
"Hi... These cartoons are shown intact. Period."
Thats great news. Next time you talk to him perhaps you can have him suggest to Disney to reissue the original versions of The Three Little Pigs, Clock Cleaners, and Skeleton Dance, perhaps as bonus material on future DVD releases. The Three Little Pigs had the peddler scene removed. Clock Cleaners had some Donald Duck dialog removed in the scene where he argues with the coil. And according to a poster here the original version of Skeleton Dance had no music over the title card and surprised the audience when the lightning crashed and thunder was heard. This is the version which was shown on the Disney Channel. Come to think of it I think I heard the uncut Clock Cleaners on the Disney Channel too. How weird is that getting the original versions on the DC where normally you get edited cartoons and vice versa on the DVD which claims to be uncut.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Haunted House has an odd Jazz Singer reference...

In one scene, Mickey is hidden in the shadows and looks like the famous poster for the film...and the mouse proceeds to say "Mammy!"

Gui A

Supporting Actor
I found an Easter Egg:

In Disc 1, go to the Bonus Material section.
From there, highlight "Register Your DVD"
Press UP

Mickey's hat should change colour to a baby blue. Press Enter,
and it will take you to a 14 minute featurette on the Original Mickey Mouse Club, and has a Sing-A-Long to the Mickey Mouse Club Theme song "Minnie's Yoo-Hoo" and newsreel footage of a Mickey Mouse 2 day special in Worcester, Mass.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Being as Disney release so many 'limited time' DVDs, I believe that if you register your DVD with them, they will replace it (for a cost) should it be damaged once the DVD is discountinued.
A good idea - but pointless for somebody like me who imports their DVDs. Also, while the UK division of Disney also release DVDs with short retail windows, they don't offer a similar service *sigh*.
I would recommend you take advantage of the registration function if you are entitled - after all it's free until you need a replacement and it will stop you having to pay E-Bay amounts should you damage one of your Mickey Mouse discs in the future...

Patrick Picking

Auditioning
I sent the post above by Rob Kilbride to Leonard Maltin, and here's his reply:

"Hi Patrick...

I'm having my Disney-buff friends and colleagues look into that query you passed along. The 3 Little Pigs we covered in a special section on the disc where I discuss the change, but the others are news to me, as of this moment. More to come!

best,

Leonard"

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Thanks Patrick, I look forward to his response. Very kind of him to look into this. Does his response mean that there's no chance of getting the original 3 Little Pigs?

Also I doubt that the Jazz Singer reference is the reason Disney didn't include the short because there is a cartoon on the current set where some matches are dancing and accidentally light each other and when they burn their faces look like blackface and they proclaim in their squeaky voiced "Mammy!"

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
And does his response mean that theirs no chance of getting the original 3 Little Pigs?
The original scene is still included on the set, as you probably know. Moreover, it's been my understanding that the change was made by Walt himself, or at least with his knowledge and/or consent. Not 100% sure here, perhaps someone can enlighten further. And I've not yet seen that Leonard Maltin piece on the DVD since watching it originally when I first got the set, so it's a bit fuzzy right now.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Yes I believe you are correct, that it was censored by Disney himself. But it is still censored as is Fantasia even though Walt sanctioned the censure. Since the two new cartoon sets have plenty of not too flattering depictions of blacks and Native Americans, I don't see why they couldn't reissue the original version with a proper introduction by Maltin.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Since you bring up Fantasia, I'm hoping that Disney will re-release the 3-disc set with the original film fully uncensored, or don't they have the original materials? And then the minor classics that were also released censored would be perfect for re-release. Come to think of it, I wish every one of Disney's now-42 animated classic features would receive a 2-disc SE treatment.

David Gerstein

Auditioning
Rob:
To further detail the changes made to SKELETON DANCE and CLOCK CLEANERS—
The music added behind the main title in the DVD version of SKELETON DANCE is, in fact, lifted from the Mickey Mouse cartoon THE MAD DOCTOR. The loud scream you hear toward the end of the melody is Mickey's. The original DANCE was stony silent all the way through the titles.
As for CLOCK CLEANERS, the original dialogue had Donald telling the mainspring "Sez you!" and then "I'll bust you, you doggone snake in the grass!" In the censored DVD version, we instead hear "Aw, nuts" (with a barking dog sound effect behind it, indicating its origin in another cartoon), and then a lengthy stream of electronically mixed, unintelligible quacks.

PaulP:
True, a moment of the original THREE PIGS animation is still seen on the disc. But it appears without sound, and only about two seconds of animation from the full half-minute sequence is shown. So in truth, the original scene is not really there; just a sort of fragment.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Thanks David. Are these the censorship/non-original version issues (besides the title card issues previously mentioned) on the Disney Treasures cartoon sets so far? If there are any more concerns perhaps Patrick can forward them to Leonard Maltin as well.

David Gerstein

Auditioning
ROB:

>Thanks David. Are these the censorship/non-original
>version issues (besides the title card issues
>previously mentioned) on the Disney Treasures
>cartoon sets so far?

To the best of my knowledge, yes. If you, Patrick, or anyone gets in contact with Leonard Maltin, though, I ask you— if you specifically mention me— not to make me sound like I only want to pick nits with these sets. In truth, I'm immensely grateful for his efforts to oversee them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks