What's new

HTF REVIEW: McLintock! - Authentic Collector's Edition (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

McLintock! - Authentic Collector's Edition

Studio: Paramount

Year: 1963

Rated: NR

Length: 127 minutes

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1, anamorphically enhanced

Audio: Mono, Dolby Digital 5.1

Closed Captioned and subtitled in English

Special Features: Multi-participant commentary, Special Intro by Leonard Maltin, 5 featurettes, photo gallery, trailer

Suggested Retail Price: $14.99 USD

Release Date: October 11, 2005

McLintock! is one of a small handful of films where The Duke gets to exercise his comedy chops. In this loose adaptation of Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew, John Wayne is a tough, proud cattle baron, perfectly paired with Maureen O’Hara as his estranged, firebrand of a wife, Kate. The wife comes visiting when their daughter (Stefanie Powers) comes home from college.

Hijinx ensue when the estranged couple are reunited. Not only is there great verbal sparring, but there are slapstick chases and fist fights that involve the entire town. The film features one of the most memorable brawls ever filmed, boasting a “who’s who” of stuntmen of the day, as well as Wayne and O’Hara, who got down and dirty performing stunts of their own.

On hand are Patrick Wayne, Yvonne DeCarlo, Chill Wills, Jack Kruschen, Jerry Van Dyke, Bruce Cabot and Edgar Buchanan.

McLintock! is an unusually riotous, slapstick comedy western that puts The Duke in a different light. The film quickly became a favorite of Wayne fans upon its release in 1963.

The Transfer

McLintock! is presented in its original aspect ratio of 2.35:1, and it is anamorphically enhanced. The transfer was made from original film elements which, with the exception of a few white specks here and there, are free of defects.

The image has good (but considerably shy of excellent) detail, beautifully and accurately rendered and saturated color, strong black levels and good detail in the shadows. Contrast is very good, with clean white values that avoid clipping. This is the best home video version of this film, by far.

There are two audio tracks available - a Dolby Digital English Mono track and an English 5.1 Dolby Digital track. The mono track has good frequency response, considering the age of the source. The frequencies are somewhat mid-range heavy, with no solid bass response and a high end that is somewhat rolled off. There is a touch of hiss detectable at higher volume levels. Still, I expect it is a fairly accurate rendition of the aged source. The 5.1 track adds a bit of openness to the music, and a rare use of surrounds for effect, but that’s about all.

No major complaints on the video or audio. While the image could have been a bit sharper, it is excellent in every other way, and the audio is a solid representation of the source elements.

Special Features

Commentary by Leonard Maltin, Frank Thompson, Maureen O’Hara, Stefanie Powers, Michael Pate, Michael Wayne and Andrew McLaglen

In this commentary, Maltin and Thompson were recorded together, giving a tremendous amount of historical perspective on the film and its actors. O’Hara, Powers and Pate have quasi scene specific commentary, mostly in areas which involve their respective characters - these commentaries were recorded separately. Occasional comments by McLaglen and the late Wayne are edited in at times. There are some brief silent passages, but it is a good, informative commentary, overall.

Special Introduction by Leonard Maltin (2:40)
This introduction by Leonard Maltin gives good historical perspective and trivia on the film. While accessible separately, from the menu, the introduction also plays when you opt to play the film. Unfortunately, this introduction is not anamorphically enhanced, which is a noticeable absence when it is played automatically, before the film starts.

The Making of McLintock!
This is comprised of three different featurettes. They are not anamorphically enhanced. The featurettes are:

The Batjac Story Part 2: The Legacy of Michael Wayne (15:53)
The story of Michael Wayne, who, in the shadow of the most famous man in Hollywood, learned the trade from the bottom up - eventually becoming a producer and the head of Batjac. Included is plenty of archival photographs and interviews with family, friends and people who worked closely with him. There are brief clips from interviews with Michael Wayne, as well. A good tribute to the producer, and the man.

Maureen O’Hara and Stefanie Powers Remember McLintock! (13:18)
High points include O’Hara recalling the famous mud stunt, Powers recalls the chemistry between Wayne and O’Hara and her key scenes with Wayne. Some interesting and amusing recollections from casting to the theatrical presentation.

A Good Ol’ Fashion Fight (10:51)
Today’s stunt men analyze one of the most memorable fight scenes put to film, the brawl from McLintock! Included are comments from Maureen O’Hara, on the stunts she took part in.

The Corset: Don’t Leave Home Without One! (7:45)
All you wanted to know about the corset, and more. It’s a history of the garment in life and in film.

2 Minute Flight School (2:20)
Stuntmen Tom Morga and Wayne Bauer display the mechanics of the movie punch.

Photo Gallery
34 images - movie posters, production stills, artwork, etc.

Original Theatrical Trailer (2:45)

Batjac Teaser (5:58)

A teaser collection of promotions for Island in the Sky, Hondo, The High and the Mighty, McLintock!, Track of the Cat, Man in the Vault, Plunder of the Sun, Ring of Fear, Seven Men from Now.

Previews
The John Wayne Collection

Final Thoughts
This is a great John Wayne film, nicely presented on the DVD format with a good transfer and a nice selection of extras. Finally, this film is presented in a worthy fashion on DVD. With a street price around $10 USD, Wayne fans would be crazy to pass this one by.

Recommended.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm pissed that my dvd order is late, now moreso after reading your review.:)

Crawdaddy

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator
Just to correct the review (which is great btw), there is no 4:3 Pan And Scan edition being released by Paramount for this movie. The only one coming is the CORRECT 2.35:1 Widescreen edition, which is the ONLY way it should be.

Thanks for the review. I'm grabbing this one on Tuesday that is for sure. :D

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Corrected. I was going by a press release I received some time ago. I only ever receive OAR product for review, but I know Paramount often has fullscreen product released, as well.

-Scott

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator
I'm assuming the John Wayne estate has a pretty big say in what screen format their releases through Paramount are. Needless to say I am glad that we are getting OAR treatment on these new releases. Especially for "McLintock!" which I swear never has gotten a OAR treatment before (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Ah, this is the John Wayne movie that made me go back and start to seriously catch up on his others back in the day (including my favorite, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance) and since I don't believe that I have ever seen it OAR, this will be a treat!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
"The Batjac Story Part 2: The Legacy of Michael Wayne (15:53)"

were does part 1 appear?

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Yikes; reading this review makes me nostalgic--I saw this film (at age 7) when it first came out. I remember the big laughs the mud scene got from the audience. It didn't hurt either that my mother resembled Maureen O'Hara. Okay, I think I'll order it.

:b

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Been waiting for this one for a while. The previous versions were nearly unwatchable. This film has been a family favorite for years along with The Quiet Man. This is a must buy!!

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
This is a fun movie.
For those of us who have suffered through the
public domain (rotten, falling apart) prints,
and pan and scan releases...
and for those of us who remember the years
that it was out of circulation...
all i can do is sing, "Love in the country"...
:D

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
I'm proud to say I have avoided the public domain releases like the plague. Interestingly, about 5 years ago, I heard McLintock! and Hondo were going to be released together on one disc so I gave my best friend my VHS copy. That project was later cancelled and I decided to wait, figuring they would actually come along eventually. It took about 5 years but I'm sure I'll consider them worth the wait and, of course, I pre-ordered them and will watch them (especially McLintock!) the day they arrive.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

I also saw this (OAR, maybe, at the drive-in) at 7 years old in '63 (the big five-O is coming). And The Duke was funny & Maureen was HOT!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks