What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Léon The Professional: Deluxe Edition (RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Hector.B

Stunt Coordinator
I too have the flawed Leon: The Professional DVD and will stick with it until there is a HD-DVD or Blu-ray version out. Thanks to James for the comparison it saved me some cash.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

My understanding was that the flawed audio track lacked LFE completely. The new DD track, while the surround levels are very low, definitely has LFE.

I will check the video flagging on chapter 20 and report my findings tonight.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
James, that was an EXCELLENT breakdown of all the different versions of this thing. I'm not watching it on a progressive display, so I can't comment on your issues with the video, but your impressions of the audio are in line with my own. I'm not sure any version is really "wrong," they're just different.

It's my theory that when a remix was done for the 1996 director's cut, it didn't have any substantial surround activity. When it was released on DVD, however, fans complained that it basically sounded like a 3.1 mix, so Columbia appeased them by re-issuing it with a "newly created 5.1" track (they were actually honest here) which added some reverb to the rears. I really don't hear anything discreet back there, just heavy score and effects bleed from the front. When the Deluxe edition finally came around, the original mix was included as the DD track, while the "newly created" remix was used for the DTS. They certainly sound different, but nothing really seems to be missing. If the prior Superbit had a problem with bass extension, that's definitely been corrected...both of these seem fine in that regard.

Once again that's all just my speculation, but I'm not convinced anything is "flawed." It's just a matter of taste. Is it odd that the DD track has minimal surround activity? Perhaps, but considering it was done for an after-the-fact recut of a modest French production from 1994, it's not necessarily a mistake. If you're not impressed with it, however, the amped-up remix is right there in DTS. So, audio-wise, I think this is ultimately a decent package. (Unless you don't have DTS capability, of course...then you're screwed!)

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
Glad to hear my post was helpful to some people.

Patrick, I agree with you. I didn't want to have a post the length of War & Peace, but I suspect that the 3.1 mix on the first pressing of Leon was the proper one made for the re-edited "Version Integrale" and that the 5.1 mix, which sounds awfully sloppy, was made, as you say, to appease fans.

I suspect the 5.1 mix on the theatrical cut would be superior, but I could never watch the movie again with those 24 minutes missing. It stuns me that they were cut. The whole point of the movie is that a young girl convinces a hitman to train her, yet in the American cut, she NEVER gets trained.

After a single lesson with a rifle on a rooftop she feels confident enough to infiltrate Gary Oldman's headquarters. When I first saw this version, it was laughable, but with the 24 minutes restored, especially the all-important training montage, the scene I love at 81 minutes, it's totally in character and plausible for her to decide she's ready to kill Oldman.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i own the "Leon International Version" CORRECTED audio Dolby Digital 5.1.

after reading this thread...assuming the transfer on that was ok, and the audio was "fixed"....is there any reason for me to get the new one if extras are not an issue for me?

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
Sean Patrick. There's no reason whatsoever to get the new version if you don't care about extras. Even if you do, they're not worth it, just three short featurettes.

I found the video on the new version to be inferior during the restored scenes, but even those who disagree have not suggested the video is in any way better.

In addition, the audio seemed only marginally more involving on the DTS than the old 5.1, and the 5.1 mixes of Leon available in America in general do not impress me. Again, I don't think even those who disagree with me about that would suggest that the new audio is markedly better.

Stick with the one you have, this one is a waste. I just returned my copy to Best Buy today for store credit because I was so disappointed with it.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
james - thanks for the info. i suspected this might be the case.

i find it interesting that people have commented on the LEON Superbit as being noisy....i find the superbit BLACK HAWK DOWN to look terrible compared to other editions of the film, and i don't think it's just grain from a "better" transfer. i think it's grain being turned into noise by edge enhancement.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I didn't notice any drops in video quality with the restored scenes. Then again, I didn't know which scenes were restored since I wasn't looking. I don't know if anyone checked the flags on the deleted scenes in particular. Maybe those DO have a problem and corrected discs should be issued.

The video quality looked pretty typical of Superbits to me. Very clear, but just a bit over-processed. I have to say with some of the Superbits I've watched lately, this, and maybe moreso, Laybrinth, the EE isn't nearly as bad as what I've seen before on some titles, not necessarily confined to Sony releases either. (Wost EE I can recall on a Sony title is the original "Mothman Prophecies". There I think the EE really did eaggerate the grain too.)

On my screen, I didn't really notice any halos, but could still tell there was artificial sharpening added. Looked like more on Leon, than Labyrinth, but I think they're likely much different looking films since they're not shot at all the same. Kind of strange since Laybyrinth is an older release. Then again, if this is a re-issued transfer on Leon...

First time I'd seen this and I was pretty happy with the film itself. It amazes me that Gary Oldman can always be wacko, but be completely different in every film. True sign of a great actor. And, I never knew just how bad Natalie Portman was in Star Wars until I saw what she was capable of in this film as just a little girl. Unless the director told her exactly how to do it and she just mimicked. We know Lucas typically doesn't spend a lot of time coaching actors.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I think most people were quite surprised by her performance in the Star Wars films, based on her work in Leon, Beautiful Girls...well, basically everything she did before SW. I seem to recall an interview in which she said she doesn't perform well if she's bored with the material. It seemed like a veiled reference to the SW films as those are the only films in which people have criticized her acting. I think she was also kind of miserable during production of Phantom Menace.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Having seen Portman on stage, I guess it REALLY depends on the material because she sucked in that as well.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Name a single "good" acting performance in either Episode 1 or 2. Every actor came across flat, including some people that we KNOW can act, such as Samuel L. Jackson and Liam Neeson.

Paul Mazz

Grip
I just finished watching the deluxe edition, and there are definitely video problems. I do not have any other versions, but on this one there are severe combing artifacts that start around chapter 18 and run until aprox chapter 23. These go away if I switch to interlace mode on my Toshiba DVD player. Not sure if I want to return it. From reading some of this thread it appears to be an error in the progressive flags? Is this an issue with any of the older versions?

Vincent-P

Second Unit
Can anybody tell us a definitive "Yes" or "No" on whether this disc is flawed? I only have a few more days to return my unopened copy to Fry's and I want to know which decision I should make. I've been waiting for a final determination and haven't seen one.

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
No "quirky" chemistry between the actors in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace at all (unlike A New Hope and Empires Strikes Back). More emphasis was placed on telling the story rather than getting the actors to have fun with and explore the material.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

It would seem that there may be some sections of the disc that are improperly flagged. I am not sure which scenes are affected -- my player handles it and I haven't had a chance to scope the whole film on the computer. Maybe someone who sees the problems can give us an idea of how many scenes are affected.

CraigL

Screenwriter

Well, let's do the math. No one seems to be able to come to a consensus on the quality. I'm going to guess that should tell you something. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks