What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: From Hell (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
Just picked this bad boy up, I'm a huge DEPP fan, the ninth gate is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I got it this morning along with a few other discs. I plan to watch it on Thursday. :)

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
This is indeed an awesome film and a exceptional SE Dvd release from Fox. However who in the Hell From Hell decided to put the *Unfaithful trailer in full screen ?
This is the first of newer SE Dvd's not only that but a widescreen release I've ever seen with a pan&scan trailer ? Did someone goof or was this intentional, basically I feel like I've been pan&scammed:thumbsdown:
bodymov'n :cool:

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I couldn't wait to get this DVD, especially since I really wanted to see this in the theater and missed it. I watched it last night and I have to say this was one of the best films of 2001. What a very creepy, stylistic, and well made film From Hell is. Depp is incredible as usual and the Hughes Brothers did a great job of recreating 19th Century England. I felt like I was there. :)
I also enjoyed Robbie Coltrane's and Ian Holm's performances. Heather Graham was better than I thought she would be, but then again, I could watch her talk about insurance for 6 hours. :)
The transfer is one of the best I have seen. The picture just jumped off the screen. The DTS track was very well done (very good use of surrounds and LFE). Parts of the soundtrack really freaked me out, especially when the French whore was being killed and Sir William was starting to freak out with his dillusions.
I haven't got into the extras yet, but I did watch the begining of the Heather Graham hosted feature. That girl just continues to keep getting hotter and hotter.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

-Dean-

rick bie

Stunt Coordinator
Just picked the DVD up for $19.99 @ MediaPlay, very good movie, :emoji_thumbsup: I have not had a chance to check out the deleted scenes or the second disc yet.:)

HankM

Second Unit
Rented this last night and enjoyed it. Very well done, especially the cinematography. I didn't check out disc 2 though. I will probably add this to my collection.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Very well done. Watched it last night. Although, I wasn't prepared for quite the amount of gore
it delivered.
The scene where the prostitute gets her neck slashed.
Wow!
Peace Out~:D

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Ron,
Again, as with your comments about beer, I agree with every comment you said above. :D
This is a great film. I am going to watch it again this weekend. I can't stop thinking about it.....well at least for a couple more hours (Episode II :) ).
-Dean-

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Nice review, Ron. Thank-you.

On the strength of your review and a great price at Wal-Mart ($23.88 Cdn!), I bought this title.

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
I finally got a chance to watchFrom Hell and I was extremely impressed with everything about this film and DVD release. Incredible cinematography!!! Beautiful set and costume design, and top drawer direction, and some fantastic acting by all as well. I'm going to watch this one again this morning and I'll probably place it in my top 10 of the year.
If you haven't yet bought off on From Hell, you should pick it up ASAP!!!
Thanks for the excellent review, Ron!

FrankD

Stunt Coordinator
I saw the film on my 106 inch diagonal screen and I thought that the movie was great but the picture did look soft to me - not sharp at all? I would have preferred it much more clear.

Ron E., you wrote:

"Fox has given us a gorgeous 16x9 enhanced

widescreen (2.35:1) transfer that is flawless.

Though filmed very dark and soft (as these

screenshots show)"

So you think the picture was soft too?

Anyone else agree? Was the picture soft or clear?

Nick Cicutti

Auditioning
There were certainly numerous scenes employing filtered photography and it does give the impression overall of a "softer" appearance but if you look carefully there is a good deal of background detail present. Just don't expect the incredibly detailed sharpness and punchy appearance of, for example, the Criterion edition of the Rock. I do happen to like this transfer very much.

Nick

Dan M

Second Unit
On my setup it looked geat to my eyes.

The softness (if you want to call it that) made it more filmlike. It was hardly lacking in detail. I consider this referance material. FOX is doing a geat job these days

NateF

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I figured there should be at least two sides to each argument, so here I go.

I didn't like the movie. Oh, the transfer was nice, and the sound was good, but you can have the best look and sound in the world and still not make a good movie. The characters were flat, only the villain presented anything resembling depth. I never really cared about anyone in the film, except maybe Heather Graham, and only then because she's so gorgeous. There was very little in the way of mystery. I mean, yeah, you didn't know who the killer was, but there weren't an abundance of clues thrown about, just one or two.

I don't know, I just never really got into it. And to top it off, the ending kinda sucked. Overall, I have to say, it was quite mediocre, certainly nothing I'd want to buy.

-Nate

NateF I really liked the ending!

This was a strong movie and exactly what I needed on a recent rainy night. My wife and I both enjoyed it. I wasn't even considering a purchase before I read this thread...thanks for the advice everyone!

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
I've got to add my $.02 as well. I was disappointed with this movie. I though Heather Graham attractive, as always, but she was awful in this movie. And the identity of the killer was glaringly obvious. It was well-shot, and Depp and Coltrane were both good, but I thought the film eventually fell flat.

Those who liked the movie should be very happy with the disc, as the video, audio and supplements are quite good. But they were, unfortunately, better than the movie, for me...

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
After renting , and then buying this disc, I believe the film is much better the second time around. The film really has a lot of things better picked out on the second viewing.

The acting, direction, visuals, sound and production design are absolutely stunning, but the story itself falls flat. I can't put my finger on it, but I just wasn't able to get as much suspense out of the movie as I thought I would. The identity of the killer was sadly very obvious, and I wish they have of taken a more "Columbo"-style approach to the precedings (much like the graphic novel it was based on did). Plus:

Did anyone really believe that Heather Graham was the last victim killed for even a second? As soon as we see the girl lying in the bed and he comes in, you know it was the French girl. However, Depp and Coltrane play the scene wonderfully upon finding what they believe to be Graham's body.

However, I believe the ending was done very well, and gave the rest of the film some weight.Its most definitely worth seeing, which means I give it a B-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks