What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: From Hell (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I've only been compelled to purchase a disc by Ron's review twice: Moulin Rouge and Legally Blonde - two films which I loathe. I've just placed an order for From Hell based on the great review (Ron's best review yet, that I've read ;) ). Am I insane? Time will tell. :D

Dan Smithy

Auditioning
Wasn't there a huge thing a little while ago about the Hughs brothers not wanting to do a commentary?

Did they do one when i was away or something?

hmmm.....

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I love Heather Graham and that picture of her in that red dress is just delicious.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

I really wanted to see this at the theater but I missed it. I will be picking this up next month.
-Dean-

Alex S

Second Unit
Ron,

Great review !

How does From Hell compare to Sleepy Hollow ?

I'm not talking about picture and sound but entertainment.

Seems to be similar to Sleepy Hollow, J.D. even has a smiliar role.

Thanks.

Alex S

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'll definitely have to check this one out. The material seemed interesting in preview, but I skipped it in the theater. Fox DVD is enough of an encouragement to push me over the line.

Does anyone know what the limited edition nature of this DVD is?

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Stephie and I were very ready to pick this up, but you've removed the last vestiges of doubt from our minds
Come on David, fess up--there was never any doubt that you would purchase this DVD. :) I'm aware of the size of your collection, and you pass on nothing (just like me!) :D
Great review, Ron! I would have bought it anyway (just like David :)), but now I'm really excited about this DVD and the great extras!

Richard Hardbattle

Stunt Coordinator
As a huge fan of the book, I can say that although the Hughes brothers made some

large changes (mainly mixing the two main characters into one...plus a much more

ambiguous ending....and don’t even get me started on the Masons.....) the films is just

about as good as fans of the book could have hoped for - I mean, Peter Jackson might

have done a better job, but hey, I’m not complaining!

Although I can recommend the film, I can really recommend the graphic novel it's

based upon - a work approaching near genius - it’s one of the best books I've ever

read, and totally believable. It even has an comprehensive appendix of "case notes"

saying what’s true and what’s made up.

Check out the reviews on Amazon - 5 stars all the way!

Rich

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Excellent reveiw (as always) Ron.
I am soooo looking forward to this title.
May 14th cannot arrive fast enough.
Peace Out~:D

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
Hmm no word on the Marilyn Manson score being used. That is a true bummer. I got to hear this score and it was the creepiest thing that my ears have ever witnessed. I would love to have it put into the movie as it would change the whole tone of the film. To a much darker and scary presence. But for what it is worth I will still by the movie I did enjoy it at the theaters. But the 2nd Disc is what I am really interested in.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Just one quick question, what's the packaging like on this release? Is it the heavy cardboard like moulin rouge, or a doulbe alpha like the five star collection? It won't prevent me from buying it if it's cardboard, but I do like to know what it's like.
:P
Adam

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Dude, the red dress sells it.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Great review Ron. You haven't let me down with your "highly recommended" DVDs yet, and now I fully intend to purchase this movie that I missed in the theaters.
Hey, even if I don't like it as much, did I mention that Heather looks AWESOME in that red dress? Man, I'd spend $25 just to watch her read out of a phone book in that dress... :D

Daniel Storm

Auditioning
Ya know, maybe it's just me but I thought this film was BRILLIANT!!! I absolutely loved it! I never read the graphic novel, but I have always been intrigued by the story of Jack The Ripper. This is a top rate film and the Hughes Brothers did an incredible job making you feel like you were really there.
I can't wait to get this one and since I'm a Fox employee, I'll be buying this for about $12 with employee discount :D woo hoo!!

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Damn, Ron was right! This is one absolutely amazing transfer on this. I just got my Panny PT47 last week and have been amazed by the quality of movies now. Toy Story was my reference standard for everyhting, Training Day and Swordfish were my live action show offs, but this DVD is by far the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen in my home, and one of the best sounding to boot!

Bravo to Fox for once again showing other studios what they should strive for in DVD.

On another note, is this Dolby EX/DTS ES? The THX optimode has the surround backs as part of the setup, and listening to certain scenes in EX it almost sounds like a true EX mix. Maybe it is just the beauty of this disc getting to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks