What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Deep Space Nine" Season One (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Well i finally finished the set and im very pleased with it. The picture and sound is excellent. Short on extras but i just want the shows anyway

capt

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Andrew Robinson is just great as Garak - hes REALLY given a chance to shine in future seasons.Hes involved in a couple of my favorite episodes from the series - I cant wait for season 3.

Ive also heard complaints about Jeffrey Coombs as Wayun and I couldnt disagree more. Hes just fantastic IMHO

"Sisko is the most "awkward" by far"

They shouldnt have had him to shave his goatee and grow his hair:D

Its nice to have these on DVD instead of watching old VHS tapes(some of which aarent even in stereo:eek::) )

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
I really appriciate the review of a first-timer to the series-- especially coming from someone who has recently viewed much of The Next Generation, but none of the other spin-offs... it's definately a rare and interesting perspective to have out there... most of us Trek freaks (I don't know about you, but I'd definately call myself a freak when it comes to Trek) at least gave the show a chance when it first aired or at some point...

Personally, I really love DS9. TNG will always hold that ever-so-special place in my heart, but I believe DS9 to be the truely greater show. The criticisms of it being too stagnant or too character-based are valid, but I totally disagree with them. For me, DS9 represents the best of what Trek can be. The acting is top notch, the writing is brilliant, the production value is just superb even by today's standards, the make-up speaks for itself...good god, those people work wonders... to me, character development is a MUST for a really great show assuming the show is linear in nature and not so episodal. TNG really hit character development a lot harder than any other sci-fi show, and DS9 took it to the next level. If you don't want to look at it as a sci-fi show but rather as a drama dealing with deep social, political, and spiritual issues...then again, DS9 is a smashing victory on all accounts. DS9 dealt with tons of hard issues... I think this is something Trek seems to be getting away from that I'd like to see return to the latest series (Enterprise)...

Ah well, enough of my nerd raving/ranting. Appriciate the review, as always... sorry that you wont be giving them all a good once-over, but such is life...and very understandable. :emoji_thumbsup:

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder why people who love this show feel the need to get everyone else to like it. It's like "whaaa why won't everybody like my favorite show!!" I never liked this show and never will. And yes I did watch some of the later episodes to see if it got any better. It didn't.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
It is a natural human impulse to want to share what you think is truly wonderful with other people... so long as it takes nothing away from you (in this case it actually adds to the experience). That is why some people never miss a chance to preach their religion... or show their favorite movie, or TV show.

--
Holadem

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
The reason fans of the show try to get others to watch is pretty simple. A lot of people stay away from shows after they watch a few from the first season, dont watch and then the show gets very good. It happened with B5, DS9 and a bunch of others. If a friend of mine didnt mention to catch B5 on Sci-Fi i would never have watched it. Now its one of my fav shows

capt

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
If fans didn't try to recruit viewers, shows would pretty much only pick them up if they stumbled across it. If it weren't for internet evangelism, I never would have started watching Buffy or 24.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Yea, if you watch a show u think is great but not getting enough attention, of course u want to let others in on it.

The first 2 seasons of Millennium I was screaming to the heavens - to any one who would listen to check the show out.

Ed Faver

Second Unit
Ron-

I din't miss the collector's booklet as I didn't think much of the those in theTNG sets. Found the packaging far more accessible than TNG. While the TNG boxes look great on my shelves, actually getting the folio out of the box can be a frustrating, swear-inducing process!

As for the show itself, DS9 hit the ground running and developed far more quickly than TNG. My son, who is 12 & obviously had no experience of TNG or DS9 during the initial runs, was sucked into DS9 almost immediately. TNG took a while to hook him.

DS9 is something special and unique in the Star Trek family. It's interesting to note that it came along around the same time as Babylon 5. I've seen few comparisons of the two series (and welcome being pointed to any links regarding the two). I loved them both & look forward to emptying my wallet throughout 2003 in order to add both complete sets to my library.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Glenn,

If it hadn't been for the recommendations of many many folks on this forum, I would not have felt comfortable dropping $100 on a TV show, practically sight-unseen. As it is, it is turning into one of my favorite shows.

By the way, have you ever seen THE SOPRANOS? Really marvelous stuff, you should give it a try sometime. :D

MattJ

Auditioning
I have a DS9 DVD question which I wonder if any of the Americans out there can answer for me.

When the 4th season DVD set is issued, it will contain the episode "To the Death", the famously violent, and only Trek episode ever to have been cut for US TV transmission.

Here in the UK, the episode had 2 seconds cut from it by the censors before it was released on video with a "15" certificate. The 4th Season DVD set already has been given a "15" cert for UK release, and I assume that "To the Death" will again be cut.

My question is this: What is the situation regarding the American R1 DVD releases of TV shows which are unrated? Is it likely that "To the Death" will be issued on R1 uncut as orginally made by Paramount, or will the cut TV version be on the disc?

Thanks for anyone out there who can help. ;)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Any answer will be speculation at this point, but I would imagine the episode will be restored for DVD. No real reason not to. Anyone have the video tape? Was it restored there?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm...if Jeff's right (and I don't know one way ro the other), then perhaps someone can get a message to Martin quickly and he can look into whether this can be changed for the DVD release. Or at least the missing footage added as an extra. It would be of great interest to fans, I imagine.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
When the 4th season DVD set is issued, it will contain the episode "To the Death", the famously violent, and only Trek episode ever to have been cut for US TV transmission.
Okay, I did some searching on this. Where was this cut for U.S. transmission? Yes, it was a particularly nasty movie (even though there were no instances of blood and guts and the sort), but how was this "cut" in the U.S.? I have this episode on tape from when it originally aired. What is the episode missing?

By the way, the two-second cut in the UK version is when the First breaks the neck of his second for disobeying orders. In the U.S. version, they show the execution taking place and have an appropriate sound effect to it.

MattJ

Auditioning
John,

According to the "Star Trek Deep Space Nine Companion", author, Terry J Erdmann, Pocket Books, Ira Behr states the following regards "To The Death":

"This is the first episode of Deep Space Nine, and maybe the first Star Trek ever, that was edited for violence. Close to forty-five seconds of the hand to hand combat was cut, and I think that really hurt it. . . .In the first edited version, fifty-two Jem'Hadar had been killed. . .But when the censors got hold of it, they took out thirty-two Jem'Hadar deaths."

Matt J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks