What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Deep Space Nine" Season One (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
You have to feel sorry for the actors for that whole hopscotch scene. You know they had to feel like complete and utter asses. I hope they got it in one take so they could move on and begin the healing process.
Greg, you had me laughing on that one. When I saw Cisco doing hopscotch and singing that song, I just thought I was going to die in embarrassment.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Just got Season 1 on DVD!
Wow! The sound is great!
Looking forward to the rest of the sets.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I've really enjoyed the DS9 Season One set thus far! All of the first season episodes, all of the added features, it's a wonderful representation of the series on DVD.

I'm looking forward to getting the entire series on DVD, but it's going to take a while to get the whole she-bang because it's so high-priced. I'll have to look on Amazon.com or eBay to try to find some lower-priced sets. After last year's TNG sets, that put a serious hurt on my pocketbook.

Which reminds me, are any of you getting the sets with the bonus discs from Best Buy? All of my TNG sets and DS9 Season One have the bonus discs. And I wonder, is Paramount going to do a special DVD release of the bonus features for those people who've not been able to get the bonus discs with their sets? I think it would only be fair, especially to do a compilation disc at a very reasonable price, after shelling out $500-$800 for an entire series on DVD.

As for worst episodes, I know there were a few clunkers on DS9 along the way, but nothing can be worse than TNG's second season finale "Shades of Gray", the dreaded "clips" show. That one gets two :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: all the way down.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Hey, cut Shades Of Grey some slack. There was a writers' strike that year, which resulted in a short season and using one or two old Star Trek: Phase Two scripts (not that Riker, Troi, and Data weren't Decker, Ilya, and Xon to begin with...). That doesn't make it good television, or even a good clip show (only Hercules and Xena ever really managed that), but it's at least defensible.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
No, the bonus discs are the bonus discs. Perhaps they might consolidate them for a BB exclusive "Star Trek Suitcase" but that's it.

Buy your sets from Canada, I'm saving about $20.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Clip shows are horrible. It’s the worst thing invented since un-sliced bread! They should never use any clip shows. If there is any problem, they should simply not make the episode. Show a re-run. Makes no sense to cheat with clip shows.

Michael_Y

Grip
I just watched the opening trilogy of Season 2, namely episodes "The Homecoming", "The Circle" and "The Siege" and thought they were quite interesting. What caught my attention, though, was the fact that Frank Langella wasn't credited for his appearance as Minister Jaro, a key figure in the events of these shows. Any idea why?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
. What caught my attention, though, was the fact that Frank Langella wasn't credited for his appearance as Minister Jaro, a key figure in the events of these shows. Any idea why?
That is AOB (As Originally Broadcast). Langella's appearence was uncredited. I forget what the reason was, but it was with his agreement.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I thought Frank Langella did a marvelous job bringing Christopher Lee-esque class to those episodes.

Other highlights from Season 2: THE CARDASSIANS, NECESSARY EVIL, THE WIRE, THE COLLABORATOR, TRIBUNAL, and THE JEM HADAR.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
For those of you up to season 2, please check out something I just noticed.

Select the 5.1 mix, and listen carefully to the DS9 theme, with particular attention to the rear channels as the comet passes the camera.

Does anyone else here something strange? (This is not present in season 1, but it's on every episode of season 2.)

M.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Well, it doesn’t matter if it was short or not. They already show reruns for many series among new episodes of a new season. Instead of a clip show they should show just another rerun. A clip show is just a waste of everyone's time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks