What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Crimson Tide (Extended Unrated) Recommended (2 Viewers)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
So is this worth the double-dip compared to the old DVD?? (Don't recall if the old one is anamorphic?)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Tony,

you win the award for managing to avoid reading the the content of an HTF thread!

:D

Yeah...the old one wasn't 16x9... and so the new one is any easy recommendation based on that alone...

:emoji_thumbsup:

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Whoops. Caught that after I posted. HEE! Sorry David. :)

My bad.... I've been around here long enough I should know better. ;)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
WEPS and Denzel winking at each other before the crew meeting at which Hunter is introduced as the new XO is also a new tidbit.

Seems like not so long ago home vid execs were quoted in trade stories saying that all that was necessary to drive sales in revisiting a title were basic "repurposing" approaches: revamped key art, maybe anamorphic telecine if it lacked it the first time around, perhaps some new supps. The market was so hot, just getting a catalog title on shelves again would generate interest from those who likely weren't aware it had already been released previously.

I think it's unfortunate and arguably yet another indication of the flatlining DVD biz that Di$ney couldn't just release the recent Bruckheimer regurgitations on their own merits so to speak, without the (manufactured) marketing hook that is labeling many of them "Unrated Extended Editions."

I'd speculate that the directors aren't signing off on these new cuts but that instead it was a package deal between Bruckheimer and BVHE. I understand Tony Scott recorded commentaries for both Tide and Enemy Of the State, which of course Di$ney then did not use. I wonder if it's because he had critical things to say about these new cuts of 'his' films.

At the very least, I wish seamless branching had been used such that the theatrical cut could be preserved in addition to presenting the "Extended" cut. Heck, in the case of Coyote Ugly, Gone In 60 Seconds and Remember the Titans those were all originally anamorphic and had a modicum of supps. The "Director's"/"Extended" releases appear to drop some supps and, in the case of Titans, DTS.

Obviously, with the new footage and improved p.q., this is a new Tide transfer. It's gonna be interesting to see if the theatrical cut hits BD first.

Sten F

Second Unit
Strange the new release doesn´t have DTS when the Region 3 carries a DTS track.

The same goes for Con Air & Face/Off, which both has DTS as well on R3 NTSC.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
David,

On a side note, have you heard anything from Disney about releasing an anamorphic version of Armageddon? I know it's coming to Blu-ray at some point....I assume a new transfer was or will be made. It's too bad they couldn't have included it with the recently re-released three titles.

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme

Yeah it has DTS but sadly lacks the 16:9 enhancement

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Thanks for the review. This edition's transfer is leaps ahead of the old one and I was wishing that a similar new edition could be done for Universal's backdraft - then I found out today that that is coming soon too.

Sten F

Second Unit
It´s not unusual to see various releases of the same title from both Hong Kong, Korea, Taiwan and Thailand or the rest of R3 countries. However, there can be a huge difference both sound & image wise. In HK alone there can be several different releases of the same title, but they differ in quality. Therefore, it´s very important to do serious research before buying a Region 3 release.

Time-consuming, yes, but it´s certainly worth the effort.

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme
I've ordered mine in Korea - but it seems to be a Hong Kong Disk

Produced by IVL - UPC Code 891670611254

Anyway, the EC is on its way to me. Soon the 3rd CT DVD is part of my collection :)

Sten F

Second Unit
I´m afraid that´s the one with the poor image ...according to DVDTherapy.

The Thailand/Taiwan has ported the R1 transfer, which is razor sharp and in Anamorphic + has all the bonus features as the R1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks