What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Batman Begins - Two Disc Deluxe Edition (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Dave, "pretty please with sugar on top," finish the f'n entire film before taking issue with its tone (because your g.f. wanted to go to sleep no less). :D

-p

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thank you, Dave.

What the film accomplishes is unprecedented IMO in terms of "comic book adaptations." So I'm not sure it's even appropriate to compare its 'fun quotient' to the other pics you mentioned. And I'm not sure one can really grip that until one sees the entire film.

And after all, if what you're looking for is provided for by those other pics, one could argue you should just go spin those DVDs.

I suggest (if you're not out at Jarhead) you (and your sleepy gf) re-start the pic from the beginning earlier tonight.

The film is "honey, go on to bed without me" good.

-p

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
She actually did say, "You can keep watching if you want to, I know you've REALLY wanted to see it." Which is often code for, "Go on without me..." Interesting. She LOVED Sin City, (me too) but the vibe I get from her re: this is that it's only "ok" in her opinion.

Maybe I'll pop it in this afternoon to finish...

edit: she's game to finish tonite so we'll see.

:) d

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hehe. Poor Dave; Richard you (sorta) spoiled the film for him!

I got halfway through your post but I stopped reading - I didn't see any paragraph breaks anywhere so I needed to rest my eyes.

Does your post get better? Does it get more FUN? If anyone has read the rest of Dave's post, please let me know so I can figure out if it is worth going back and finishing it.

k thx bye

;) :)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Ooooh you're so evil Richard! :)

Geez, Best Buy Canada doesn't even have the Deluxe edition listed on their website (bestbuy.ca). How pathetic is that? I doubt it is even in the actual store's computers. At least Futureshop has it listed, albeit out of stock.

I might have to pick it up at HMV next week...more expensive but they have tons of stock.

Runar_R

Second Unit

I don't think it's 100% fair to compare the two scenes. One of the main reasons why it's unclear whether or not Bud would drop the DA, is that we know nothing more about him than what we've seen in the movie 'till that point. Basically he's a blank slate. That's not the case with Batman. If there's one thing almost everyone who sat down to watch "Batman Begins" knew, it's that Batman doesn't kill. Even if you'd PREFER Batman to be portrayed as a borderline psycho who occasionally kills criminals, you KNEW that this movie wasn't going to give you that. (I prefer Frank Millers grumpy sadistic/fascist "dark knight"-version myself, but I knew going in that he would be nowhere to be seen in this movie).
So I don't think anyone watching "Batman Begins" really ever believed Bats would drop that guy. But I do think they sold the idea that the guy being dangled upside-down wasn't as certain as we were pretty well.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Okay. Very loud and pronounced click. Film was great. Took awhile but it fell into place just fine. Oldman (my fave actor BTW) was a VERY pleasant surprise. Holmes was fine. The part itself....

Y'all were right! I'm psyched for the next.

:) d

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Glad you liked it, Dave! It "clicked" (as few films do) for me quite early...Crime Alley. The actor playing Bruce does a great job, and I was emotionally hooked from then on.

Take care,
Chuck

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
The moment I knew I was in love with this film was the train ride with Bruce and his parents, and the shot of Wayne Tower.

I lent my DVD to my sister and her hubby tonight. The first movie they're going to watch in their new home. I'm confident that they'll enjoy it.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
In the movie, the house went back many generations. Maybe they just never really cared to install them? :)

And I know I got a good chuckle near the end where Bruce is reading the paper.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

i think that might have been the scene that did it for me too, Larry.
it goes beyond just another sentimental parent/child bonding scene, to establish the city as a(the?) major supporting character in the film- and establish the inherited responsibility Bruce feels toward it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i recommend a search in the movies section for batman in title only for some amusing threads from 3 or 4 years ago speculating about new batman movies.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

And the score here is OUTSTANDING! The swell accompanying the cut to the exterior shot of the train going through Gotham, and the cut to a shot from below the train as it approaches the Tower . . . with a sound advance cut to the performance of Arrigo Boito's "Mefistofele." Awesome wicked gnarly grand. (This stikes me as another example of Hans exercising the operatic sensibility he learned with/from Ridley on Hannibal: that opera is inspired by Goethe's Faust and, for me, it's inclusion here references the arguably Faustian bargain Bruce makes regarding fear and his dual identities. It's something Rachel poignantly brings up explicitly when she says that maybe she'll see the man she loves again when Gotham no longer needs Batman.)

-p

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor

100%? No, I wouldn't make it a completely perfect analogy either.

But I actually watched LAC this weekend, though, and I still feel very strongly that the keen edge of a THREAT in Bud White is something I wanted a lot more of in BB. The opening scene where White goads the wife-beater, the way White is actual rather cool and calm, and even ultimately restrained, those were all rather Batman-ish.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. I won't belabor the point anymore.:D

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Michael et al.:

I also can't help but think that the visceral, subconscious impression one may have of Bud White's threat quotient is informed by R. Crowe's real world behavior since 1997. We've learned since he's something of a pugnacious sort, prone to throwing telephones at hotel employees when he can't get his wife on the line.

(But then again, back in the movie world, Christian did chase a girl with a chainsaw . . . LOL.)

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks