What's new

Press Release HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time November 2018 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
IMHO TT's title announcements are good, and are also titles that maybe other non USA labels such as Indicator & Eureka would not be too interested in releasing, such as Fright Night, Night of the Living Dead and other key/major titles. I think the business model might be licensing titless that other labels would care less about , but this is just my own speculation

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Okay, they really got me with Antony and Cleopatra and The Iron Horse. GOOD SHOW, Twilight Time. Wonder if more classic silents will be forthcoming. Sure hope so! Wonder also if there will be a surprise for us biblical/historical classic fans this December. Their recent Genghis Khan is just gorgeous.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Meh.
I don't even get anxious awaiting TT's monthly announcements anymore, the way I still do for WB Archives and Criterion titles.

I'd have to say that I'm more excited by TT's recent announcements than either WB or Criterion's, who both regularly disappoint me terribly. Dear God, Dragonwick, Genghis Khan, Forever Amber and Mamie Stover alone are godsends for people of my taste. I think the choices are getting better, not worse. If future releases of other Fox/MGM/Columbia classic films like Story of Ruth, Esther and the King, Salome, Loves of Carmen, Barabbas, The Long Ships or Francis of Assisi miraculously happen, TT will be become my favorite of them all. Now silents, too? That's something old WB won't even consider as cheesy cult films are their go to genre these days. And Criterion regularly rehashes longtime released stuff we've already obtained overseas. TT is doing great in my opinion.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Meh.

I don't even get anxious awaiting TT's monthly announcements anymore, the way I still do for WB Archives and Criterion titles and more recently the UK Indicator series. I saw this header today and thought, "Oh, yeah...A New Twilight Time announcement. I guess I'll check it out," but expecting nothing Earth-shattering. A year ago, I'd have been refreshing my HFT screen quite often to see if they had yet posted the latest TT titles.

The past four-five months or so with TT announcements have been, for me, a combination of movies I'd never consider buying for my collection but for perhaps one or two that would be marginally interesting if I can dig up some extra disposable income, such as OKLAHOMA CRUDE and THE IRON HORSE this month. I realize everyone has different likes and priorities. And I don't think this is something I should blame TT for...they are apparently scraping the bottom of their deals with Sony and Fox, and no doubt wish they could make a deal with Paramount and Warner Bros.

But from what I understand, Nick (and hope you are well) and Julie named their company Twilight Time to denote the fact that physical media releases of classic titles was waning. Seen in that light, TT has done a great job through the years getting us innumerable true classics, including a ton of Woody Allen titles (although, where is SWEET AND LOWDOWN?). I own well over a hundred TT titles.

If (and I emphasize ""if) these past few months are the harbinger of the decline of this company, I must say that for years it aggressively produced wonderful Blu-rays that no other company would have bothered with, and I will always be grateful for that. If I am wrong, and TT is still well in the game, I wonder if their choice of acquisitions and releases isn't becoming anachronistic.

Because I am a lifelong film aficionado, I want TT (and all small labels) to succeed. I just wonder, based upon the past four or five months, whether it had plans to pursue the release of more great classics on Blu-ray, or whether it is simply playing out the diminishing quality of the titles they have had to accept in order to release the much better ones they have already released.
Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion. :D But my feelings are quite the opposite. I was less interested in Twilight Time when they were focusing on a lot of modern horror, such as Christine, and Audrey Rose, but now that they've made the decision to stick with an eclectic mix of less popular titles, my wish list has been ballooning. Recent months have brought such exciting (to me:P) announcements of My Sister Eileen, The Last Hurrah, and Let's Make Love. So I eagerly await every third Saturday of the month!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I can understand why you're not interested in these titles and you're welcome to your opinion, but I think that was a cheap shot by you.

Cheap shot? Sorry, Robert, but I am nothing if not supportive of Twilight Time. I doubt you would have said that had I been making my comments about WAC or another company. My post was my observation that the titles announced in the past months have been, (and I made this clear) IN MY OPINION, comprised of lesser titles than those of earlier years.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I tend to like Twilight Time’s choice of titles, and especially appreciate that they don’t compromise on product quality.

Very pleased to get The Iron Horse from this batch.

Afghanistan Banana Stand: delighted that this made it to Blu in their previous round.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
I'm really curious as to how The Iron Horse release will be handled. Both the foreign and domestic versions survive and were featured on Fox's previous DVD. Will both be present on the blu-ray release, and will both be in HD? Depending upon what Fox provides, it would be understandable if only one is presented in HD and the other presented in SD. If I may dream for a moment, it would be really nice if the 1970s Killiam-PBS version were also present on the set. That version features a great piano score by William Perry, but I'm not holding out too much hope that version being present.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
I can understand why you're not interested in these titles and you're welcome to your opinion, but I think that was a cheap shot by you.
I second that and TWILIGHT release in general release excellent films of all descriptions ans sizes to suit all people and their music score option on their releases is forgotten by so many . In reality you are buying a BD and CD . No other label does music only tracks.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Looking forward to Antony and Cleopatra and Jesse James. Always love Twilight Time's Cinemascope releases. I finally got around to watching Anastasia (been on the shelf for awhile looking at me) the other day and it was magnificent.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Cheap shot? Sorry, Robert, but I am nothing if not supportive of Twilight Time. I doubt you would have said that had I been making my comments about WAC or another company. My post was my observation that the titles announced in the past months have been, (and I made this clear) IN MY OPINION, comprised of lesser titles than those of earlier years.
Well, I said my piece as some of your comments didn't sit well with me so I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
No one has mentioned The True Story of Jesse James. I'll get it if it has the highly directional dialog.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Another garbage lineup. The only worthwile relase in the last 6 months is Rapid Fire.
Really?

"Oklahoma Crude":
It's hard to dismiss any film by Stanley Kramer;
let alone one with Robert Surtees as its DP.

"The True Story of Jesse James":
It's also hard to dismiss any work by Nicholas Ray;
let alone one that was written by Nunnally Johnson.

"Antony and Cleopatra":
It's additionally harder not to be curious about a rare directorial effort by Charlton Heston;
let alone one that's from a play by William Shakespeare.

"The Iron Horse":
Directed by John Ford.
I can't put my finger on it; but somehow, I've seem to have heard of his name from somewhere before.

Indeed, this is quite a problematic month for Twilight Time;
which means that I'll have to purchase all 4 titles, simply to get to the bottom of all this.:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks