1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time November 2018 Release Announcements

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Message #1 of 54 Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2018
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    PMF, Allansfirebird, B-ROLL and 5 others like this.
  2. Message #2 of 54 Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Hooray for The Iron Horse. I've really been wanting that one on Blu-ray. I've already got the German Blu-ray of The True Story of Jesse James.

Danny Burk likes this.
  3. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I re-watched to the DVD of Oklahoma Crude recently, and it needs an upgrade so I'm pleased about this new disc. The Jesse James film is not a special favorite but it does have Hope Lange so that's an essential purchase.

The other two discs I'll think about and possibly buy a bit later.

PMF likes this.
  4. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Very surprised and excited by The Iron Horse announcement. I've never even seen the movie except in film clips, so I'm eager to experience it in top quality for the first time.

5. Bernard McNair

Bernard McNair Second Unit

Bernard McNair
    The Iron Horse is an excellent film and I highly recommend it. The DVD from the UK is good and I might not purchase immediately. The last few months from Twilight Time have not impacted upon my wallet but I am happy for those that have found much wanted titles.

PMF likes this.
  6. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Meh.

I don't even get anxious awaiting TT's monthly announcements anymore, the way I still do for WB Archives and Criterion titles and more recently the UK Indicator series. I saw this header today and thought, "Oh, yeah...A New Twilight Time announcement. I guess I'll check it out," but expecting nothing Earth-shattering. A year ago, I'd have been refreshing my HFT screen quite often to see if they had yet posted the latest TT titles.

The past four-five months or so with TT announcements have been, for me, a combination of movies I'd never consider buying for my collection but for perhaps one or two that would be marginally interesting if I can dig up some extra disposable income, such as OKLAHOMA CRUDE and THE IRON HORSE this month. I realize everyone has different likes and priorities. And I don't think this is something I should blame TT for...they are apparently scraping the bottom of their deals with Sony and Fox, and no doubt wish they could make a deal with Paramount and Warner Bros.

But from what I understand, Nick (and hope you are well) and Julie named their company Twilight Time to denote the fact that physical media releases of classic titles was waning. Seen in that light, TT has done a great job through the years getting us innumerable true classics, including a ton of Woody Allen titles (although, where is SWEET AND LOWDOWN?). I own well over a hundred TT titles.

If (and I emphasize ""if) these past few months are the harbinger of the decline of this company, I must say that for years it aggressively produced wonderful Blu-rays that no other company would have bothered with, and I will always be grateful for that. If I am wrong, and TT is still well in the game, I wonder if their choice of acquisitions and releases isn't becoming anachronistic.

Because I am a lifelong film aficionado, I want TT (and all small labels) to succeed. I just wonder, based upon the past four or five months, whether it had plans to pursue the release of more great classics on Blu-ray, or whether it is simply playing out the diminishing quality of the titles they have had to accept in order to release the much better ones they have already released.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I can understand why you're not interested in these titles and you're welcome to your opinion, but I think that was a cheap shot by you.

PMF, Lee Smith, Jeffrey:K and 5 others like this.
  8. richardburton84

richardburton84 Second Unit

Jack
    So, who is Antony and Cleopatra licensed from? I ask because unless I’m mistaken, the previous DVD of this film was for from Warner.

9. Jimbo64

Jimbo64 Cinematographer

Jim Potter
    Just one for me, my wallet could use a slow month!

10. McCrutchy

McCrutchy Second Unit

Sean
    More interestingly, that WB DVD was apparently cut by some 12 minutes (147:52 runtime) compared to the 160-minute theatrical release and VHS, and it seems some international versions suffer even more cuts. At least one review of the DVD noted that the disc could have been prepared as early as 2005 (possibly to debut with the Collector's Edition DVD of Ben-Hur) and then shelved until 2011, so hopefully the Twilight Time Blu-ray has a newer master.

The UK distributor Park Circus has a listing for the film claiming the full 160-minute run time. If that's true, hopefully it means that the uncut version is available and that Twilight Time will present the film that way.

11. Rodney

Rodney Cinematographer
    Supporter

I'm interested in all four this time out. I am going to assume that The Iron Horse will have both the US and International cuts like the DVD had, but I wonder if they will port over the Robert Birchard commentary as well.

12. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    I'm, bursting to know if TT will be using a newer master than the French release for The Iron Horse?

13. BRAD1963

BRAD1963 Supporting Actor

BRAD
    Twilight Time does not have a magic vault that they could choose from. But they do have great relationships with Fox, Sony and others and are able to select superb titles that have endured the test of time. Titles that have become iconic pieces of cinema and/or pop culture. Not sure what you are looking for, but most everyone who collects love with they are doing.

Jimbo64 likes this.
  14. BRAD1963

BRAD1963 Supporting Actor

BRAD
    Warner only distributed. I believe this film is controlled by the Heston estate along with other titles including Mother Lode.

15. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    In for all four. I’m very excited about the iron Horse and Oklahoma Crude.

PMF, Vegas 1, lark144 and 2 others like this.
  16. Message #16 of 54 Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

The one I'm excited about is Antony And Cleopatra which is far better than its reputation would suggest. Heston was smart enough to make it a fluid cinematic experience (much like Olivier's Shakespearean films) rather than something static with actors making entrances and exits while reciting the Bard. And it's got a ravishing killer score by John Scott. Alas, the film's weakest link is its Cleopatra. Hildegard Neil who's just not up to the task in a part that screams out for a Vanessa Redgrave or Glenda Jackson.. Ironically, Jane Lapotaire who plays one of her handmaidens would have been great in the role. I do hope it's the complete 160 minute Roadshow version.

As for the other three, they are all possible candidates if a nice sale comes along. I do hope TT is porting over Christopher Caliendo's wonderful score to The Iron Horse. Unlike Dick (who seems to crave the usual suspects), I've been more than happy with TT's offerings which have come up with some real gems like No Down Payment, My Sister Eileen, Short Night Of Glass Dolls and Revolt Of Mamie Stover in recent months. If this be scraping bottom according to Dick, then scrape deeper, Twilight Time cause I'm lovin' it. :)

Jimbo64, PMF, Robin9 and 2 others like this.
  17. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Same here. I'm so glad Twilight Time continues to bring these movies to us.

PMF and Twilight Time like this.
  18. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
    I dont know the others ones , but I was just going to get the DVD of The Iron Horse.. guess I can hold off now :) The other titles sound yummy too

Bryan^H likes this.
  19. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Cinematographer

Keith Cobby
    I have some appreciation of Dick's viewpoint as the buzz surrounding TT's monthly announcements has steadily diminished over time, and the evidence for this is the much reduced number of postings in the TT threads. I guess this correlates with the reducing sales of disc media. I also expect the average revenue per title has steadily reduced over time due to more sales and that more of their titles seem to be released by other distributors.

Inevitably the uniqueness of their business model has been superseded and I have been buying many more titles from KL. I realise that the quality of their releases isn't always on a par with TT but sometimes it is good enough until a better quality transfer comes along (if at all). Looking at my account with Screen Archives the last TT title I bought was The Mad Magician in January 2017. There are a few titles I may buy when on sale, but the urgency has gone.

atfree likes this.
  20. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    I'm in for The Iron Horse, and I hope to see Twilight Time wading more into the silent era.

Danny Burk and B-ROLL like this.