What's new

Press Release HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time February 2019 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

Big Gay Andy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy Powell
We will have to agree to disagree. Julie's Poppins Oscar was well-deserved. She deserved a second Oscar for Sound of Music and a nomination for Star! She would never have beat Barbra for Funny Girl but her portrayal of Gertrude Lawrence, her first less-than-sympathetic role, was worthy of a nomination, as was her wonderful work in Duet for One. And if the Oscars had separate categories for comedy and drama, she would have won easily for Victor/Victoria.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
it's not on blu-ray. There's a region region free "PAL" DVD £5.99 and a US "import" set that has . "The Girl Can't Help It" (1956), "Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter" (1957) & "The Sheriff Of Fractured Jaw" (1959). only
£99.98+ £1.26 delivery

I would still wait to get the WSSRH blu-ray ...

Sorry, I was thinking of Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter

Last edited:

ThadK

Second Unit
WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER? looks horrible. All of Tashlin's cartoon color candy has been flattened out, it almost looks like 2-Color Cinecolor. Comparison of the Europe BD at top, new TT BD at bottom. Very hard for me to say "PASS" on a release of a Top 10 favorite, but this is vandalism.

Attachments

• Rock Hunter Comparison.jpg
    Rock Hunter Comparison.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 30

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER? looks horrible. All of Tashlin's cartoon color candy has been flattened out, it almost looks like 2-Color Cinecolor. Comparison of the Europe BD at top, new TT BD at bottom. Very hard for me to say "PASS" on a release of a Top 10 favorite, but this is vandalism.

Screencaps aren't always the last word so I'll wait for Robert Harris's assessment. But I can already see the Fox "it's too blue" crowd jumping on it. Notice how much bluer Tony Randall's shirt is and the blue cast on the wall.

Reactions: PMF

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I thought TT titles were safe bets. I bought Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter and Bedazzled. I have received them but haven't watched them yet. Very disappointed based on those screen caps.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought TT titles were safe bets. I bought Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter and Bedazzled. I have received them but haven't watched them yet. Very disappointed based on those screen caps.
When you watch them, please, let us know what you think of them?

Reactions: PMF

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Wow. After about three previous announcements that did nothing for me, here come four movies I would like to own all in the same month.

If you've not seen ROCK HUNTER, it has Frank Tashlin's truly nutty and subversive humor, including sight gags and double entendres, in the fashion of his work with Jerry Lewis and as a director of some of the best Warner Bros. cartoons.

THE ADMIRABLE CHRICHTON is the one of the bunch I haven't seen, but (despite Leonard Maltin's less than enthusiastic review) it seems to be one of those British comedies along the lines of THE MOUSE THAT ROARED (which TT could probably license) and the CARRY ON series. I think I'll rent it from 3D Rental before purchasing.

BEDAZZLED is a no-brainer. This film is really inventive. Peter Cook and Dudley Moore were never funnier, and one can't get enough Raquel Welch, who could actually be a very good light comedian (THREE MUSKETEERS).

Then, alongside of three wacky comedies, we get TALK RADIO, which couldn't be more dissimilar. Eric Bogosian, who has always rubbed me the wrong way, does so here as well, but as the late-night radio talk show host, he is supposed to be arrogant, so the role is a perfect fit. The film is very claustrophobic (unusual in Oliver Stone's work, I think), with limited sets and a frenzied atmosphere. Based on an actual person, it is predictable in its lead up to the climax, but I find it pretty powerful stuff.

Way to go, TT.

The Admiral Chrichton is nothing like a Carry On, but a rather gentle and sophisticated attack on the British class system, turning things on their head when the staff have to take charge and the toffs have to get used to working after they are shipwrecked on a very pretty south sea island. So it’s very good to look at. It’s a gentle comedy, hugely enjoyable, but with a steely message there if you want to see it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Let's be clear TT doesn't do anything, but distribute the title. If there is a problem then it's because of Fox's work.

That is absolutely correct.

I would like to hear other reviews on this transfer before I make a final opinion. It's not like TT to select transfers that would look like what is being reported.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That is absolutely correct.

I would like to hear other reviews on this transfer before I make a final opinion. It's not like TT to select transfers that would look like what is being reported.
I have the MOC UK Blu-ray so this particular title wasn't on my list for immediate purchase. Like you, I'm interested in reading other opinions.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Let's be clear TT doesn't do anything, but distribute the title. If there is a problem then it's because of Fox's work.
That is absolutely correct.[...]
This is a very important distinction.
Somehow, we have easily slipped into this idea that Twilight Time does their own work; and that all falls on TT and TT, alone.
At times, even I have slipped into this thought, as well.
This misnomer may have come about from Twilight Time's exceptional track record for providing excellent transfers.
If I am correct, one of the Twilight Time trademarks involves their being highly selective on the transfers presented to them.
I recently saw "Comes a Horseman" - a film well worth having - to which TT distributed with a public caveat concerning the transfer.
Twilight Time told us in advance that the transfer was not up to their usual standards; but felt the content overrode any other flaws.
Twilight Time is on record for stating that they have declined many transfers that were not up to their standards;
but, once in a blue moon, there is a film that is too desirable or important for TT to turn down.
I have often wondered just how many films would've never made it to our personal home libraries, were it not for Twilight Time.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Oh my! If the Rock Hunter screen grabs over at DVD Beaver are any indication, some of the Eureka screen grabs look superior to the TT and some of the TT screen grabs looks better than the Eureka. I guess it depends on how you like your movies to look. I think I just might stick with my DVD. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This is a very important distinction.
I recently saw "Comes a Horseman" - a film well worth having - to which TT distributed with a public caveat concerning the transfer.
Twilight Time told us in advance that the transfer was not up to their usual standards; but felt the content overrode any other flaws.
Twilight Time is on record for stating that they have declined many transfers that were not up to their standards;
but, once in a blue moon, there is a film that is too desirable or important for TT to turn down.
Which makes it odd if this is a lower-quality transfer coming from TT without any disclaimer. They've turned down bad transfers, and issued at least one with a public caveat. It would be out of character for them to just push out a bad transfer without comment. Perhaps something was messed up in the replication process?

Fox transfers have usually been very good. I thought the issues in the past were mostly with MGM?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
There’s a timer at a lab in New York which does a lot of restoration work for Fox. He likes this revisionist color grading and many masters have been rejected because of this look. Some of his grading looks like two-color Cinecolor!

I’m wondering if this somehow slipped through the cracks and is actually a rejected master? I really can’t imagine anyone at Fox signing off on this.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I thought TT titles were safe bets.[...]
They are.
I, myself, have been an exceedingly happy and satisfied customer since 2013.
As for your dislike of "Rock Hunter" as a film, entire, remains entirely of your own right;
but liking or not liking a film has nothing to do with the distributor, itself.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Oh my! If the Rock Hunter screen grabs over at DVD Beaver are any indication, some of the Eureka screen grabs look superior to the TT and some of the TT screen grabs looks better than the Eureka. I guess it depends on how you like your movies to look. I think I just might stick with my DVD. :)
I'm not all that familiar with the film, but I saw a decent looking 35mm print a couple of years ago and I don't remember there being a blue wash over everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks