What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: T2 Judgment Day - Skynet Edition (1 Viewer)

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I can't believe the problems i'm having playing this disc on my Sony. I can't even get past the damn Studio Canel advert. I've tried every version of the movie & it gets stuck just after Studio Canel logo.

Arild

Supporting Actor
I feel for you. The Studio Canal logo has got to be the most heinous studio logo ever.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

I usually try not to put too much stock in screen caps, however in this case the caps of the 1st release seem to jibe with what I noticed with another early Lionsgate release- Total Recall - and that was noticeable compression artifacting. There is a comparison thread over on AVS that has full res caps of the two Lionsgate releases along with the Studio-Canal HD DVD. The caps show a marked improvement in the new edition vs the earlier one.
I only own the HD DVD which I am highly content with. If I didn't, and hadn't vowed never to do another dip on this title, I would consider the typical low cost of the new Sky Net version a no-brainer.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for the reply Paul. I think my question wasn't clearly written. I was asking members who might own the MGM first and only release on Blu Ray, as far I know, of The Terminator. The first Terminator film from 1984 and how that disc stacks up to the newer BD release of the Skynet edition of T2. Thanks!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Nelson,

I do think the Skynet release is an improvement over the original version. It has superior color, contrast, and blacks. The image also has pretty good clarity and much better compression. The original release had a lot of compression artifacts and video noise. I also think Skynet is just a bit less sharpened, although there is still some EE likely baked into the original transfer. For $14.99, I'm satisfied with the Skynet version. I sort of like having all three versions of the film and the DTS-MA track is outstanding. I do think we'll get a brand new transfer of this film one day, but my guess it will be several years as we've heard how how busy Cameron is these days.

As far as the original MGM Terminator release compared to Skynet: obviously, they have different looks as they were made in different eras with different film, budget, etc., etc. Terminator probably looks more film-like as film grain is heavier and the image looks analog; Skynet looks a bit more "shiny" or glossy for lack of better words. Both films are softer, but it's obvious Skynet is a bit more polished.

Note: I've never compared either version to the original UK release.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Dave-

Thanks. These films are pretty well priced at Amazon. I have the various Laserdisc sets of T2 with all the supplements. So the Skynet set seems a pretty good deal!

The MGM version of The Terminator in BD, from your description sounds like it's as good as it got for a transfer made in 2006.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Ok so I've been sitting here for several minutes waiting for the movie to play (maybe 10 so far?) after the Studio Canal logo, still nothing.

So this disc will NOT play UNLESS I hook my Sony BD player to the internet and "update" it? First, this is such total BULLSHIT to have to deal with. I just wanna watch the damn movie. Second, if what I've read before from other places is correct, there is the possibility that something could go wrong and my player will get screwed up in the updating process, true?

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
If its a Sony. You need to download the upgrade from Sony's website then copy to a cd then load cd into your player. It will update the blu-ray player from 1.0 to 2.0

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's possible but only in the same sense that you may get hit by a bus if you cross the street. I would definitely not do it doing a storm because if the power goes out, the player is probably dead.

Like Norm said, you can burn the update to a disc (rather than hooking it up to the internet) and I think most companies will send you a CD with the firmware update if you call and request it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Unfortunately, firmware updates are a reality with BD players. Fortunately, though, Michael, they are relatively easy and safe to perform on Sony players. You can either (1) connect your player to the Internet, (2) download and burn a CD from Sony's website, or (3) call Sony and have them mail you a CD (at their expense).

I have performed three firmware updates on my Sony BDP-S350 without any issues. The first one was by downloading and burning a CD, and the last two were directly via the Internet. The player even retained any settings I had changed in the system menus instead of reverting to the defaults.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Well with much nervousness, I went ahead and hooked up BDP-S350 to the internet (had to acquire the IP addy) and downloaded the update. The firmware was 009 previously and now it's 019 so yes, it downloaded and installed fine. Popped the Skynet disc in and it played the movie immediately.

*PHEW*

Still, a pain in the arse.

PS It *seems* my player settings remain the same as well.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Livin' life on the edge! :emoji_thumbsup: :D

Actually, Michael, I've been scared to death every time I've done a firmware upgrade on my Panasonic player. Even though each one has gone fine, I've read a lot of horror stories.

And a pain in the arse, indeed. But be grateful your model is still getting upgrades. There hasn't been an upgrade to the BD-10 now for nearly a year. I think Panasonic has given up on that model.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't normally get too worked over stuff like that but the first time that I did it, I was nearly biting my finger nails.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I never had a problem doing the updates for the panasonic player.

Jacob

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Because a PS3 never needs a firmware update? :rolleyes

My Sony BDP-S350 has played every BD I've thrown at it, fits perfectly in my equipment rack, integrates well with my Harmony universal remote (without any additional adapter do-dads), runs quietly, is easy to upgrade the firmware when necessary, and cost a lot less than a PS3. Many of us have no need or desire for a gaming system.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Damn right! Same goes for my Panasonic BD55, making the endless "the PS3 is the greatest machine in the history of the world" hype just hot air.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Not to mentioned the PS3 PQ is a little below some of the better standalones, such as the Panasonic BD35-80. They also use less energy than the PS3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks