What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: T2 Judgment Day - Skynet Edition (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The Geneon costs $75? That's too rich for my blood. It sure didn't take long for there to be sale on this disc, $15 is a great price.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I'd say that some slight sharpening has been added to the Studio Canal/Optimum encode for sure, but, like I said, I still see edge halos on the Skynet encode. These halos also show up in the comparison grabs that can be seen, uh, elsewhere. If the Skynet encode had no edge sharpening of any kind applied to it, then surely some EE was already on the pre-approved master? This flick needs a new transfer pronto.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Agreed - I could never justify that price - especially when we'll likely see a new transfer at some point. The $15 price seems very reasonable for the Skynet.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Well, today in the mail I received Sony's latest Firmware Upgrade Disc. I was able to load it in and I fairly quickly "updated" my Sony 350 player, and T2: SKYNET EDITION now plays fine. That's the good news.

The bad news is that I see what others are talking about, in so far as this not exactly being an "excellent" quality BD. I think a better one will arrive somewhere down the pike one day.

I have a question some of you may be able to answer. On some of the closeups I sampled (a good one being where Dr. Silberman recommends that Sarah be kept in the institution for another 6 months) I can see his face kind of "floating"... it's an effect where parts of the face seem to "swim" or move ever so slightly about, and it's really irritating. I first had this problem with the Blu-ray of FIRST BLOOD. Anyone else know that I'm talking about?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I know exactly what you mean, but I've only ever seen it in early MPEG-2 DVD encodes and digital cable. How are you hooked up, Joe, and what are your equipmet settings? The reason I ask is that sometimes, all it takes is one wrong setting to screw things up, but you probably already knew that.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

I haven't watched the Skynet version yet, but this is often a characteristic of DNR....and First Blood was heavily DNR'd.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Even after the latest firmware this thing still takes a good 2 minutes to load, on my Sony 350. I also have to make sure to hit cancel, and not retry, for that internet connection i dont have, or it never will load!

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I watched the complete special edition version of the film.

This transfer is a head scratcher. I haven't seen such smearing of facial details since watching my FACE/OFF HD DVD. I am confident that this could have looked much better had Cameron approved a new transfer. Shame we customers miss out cause this is certainly a lesser presentation. The best way to describe this is inconsistent. Most of the film looked to soft/filtered to me, there were few moments where I felt that the film could look like I expected.

As for the audio, it brings the bombast, but I have to admit I was suprised how front centered it is. Now i'll admit my Onkyo won't decode the 6.1 so I listened in 5.1. Solid presentation but did anyone else feel that panning between front and surround was a bit jumpy as opposed to smooth panning? While this is certainly an upgrade over the DVD, you won't find much fine details in the listening.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I looked again at the specific scene that Joe identified. I'm not sure what he's seeing (and I'm not disputing that he's seeing it, though I'm not), but there's too much visible detail in Dr. Silberman's face for it to be a DNR issue.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nervous Nellie reporting in. I couldn't resist the $14.99 pricepoint on this at Best Buy this week, so...

I dropped it into by Panasonic BD-10 last night and held my breath.

Get this. Not only did I not have any options presented (or need to cancel a search for the internet) but after my machine scrambled for a bit to read the BD and figure things out, I was presented with the following screen:

Skynet has detected a profile 1.x Blu-ray player at this location that is not connected to the internet, and will run with full menu animation. (For optimal performance and full access to content, please utilize a profile 2.0 player.)

That made me laugh. Skynet makes such intelligent machines and all.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

But...using a timer...the amount of time to get from closing the drawer to the menu animation was 4:15. Then, after selecting which version of the film I wanted to watch, it was another several minutes before I ever got to the opening credits. While part of that was all the various splash screens for Lionsgate, Studio Canal, DTS HD-MA (cool audio) and the classic T2 THX screen (and whatever else), there was also a rather lengthy amount of black screen that followed before the actual movie started to play. That had me nervous. I didn't have the timer running...but it was at least another two minutes (if not three).

On the one hand it loaded and played. OTOH, it all seems a bit excessive, doesn't it?

I wish I could comment on people's concerns about the transfer, but my limited gear prevent me from jumping in to that discussion. Everything looked fine on my 28" HD CRT set.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Audio sounded good. Not quite up to the standards of a 2009 rock 'em, sock 'em soundtrack...but respectably fun given the age of the film. Front-heavy, maybe. But my surrounds were still keeping things active. Everything was crystal clear.

But I only had time for spot-checks as I was in the mood to jump around to some favorite action sequences.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

After investing all that time loading it, I think I would have felt obligated to watch the whole film!

I used to use the laserdisc as a demo disc back in the laserdisc days. Can't see demoing this disc.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Maybe nobody wanted to wade thru another 5 minutes of menu navigations to get to the trailers. ;) :P

Like some, I too broke down and fell for the Best Buy $15 price, but I didn't have time to pick it up in person. Still waiting for the order to be delivered -- should probably be waiting for me at home today.

Guess I should also whip out my stopwatch to see how slow it takes my PS3 to load it. :P My PS3 usually loads quickly enough, but some BDJ-heavy titles do take noticeably longer than others.

_Man_

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
On my PS3 it took one minute to load, which included downloading whatever from the Internet. With the download already installed, disc load took about 40 seconds.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hope you guys don't mind me asking, I posted a question about The Terminator Blu Ray disc in The Terminator review thread in the Archive section, but I see no replies for the past few weeks.

So if I may, how does that older blu ray disc fair compared to this new T2 Skynet edition? Or maybe I should ask, how does it hold up, period? Should I keep waiting, I don't have any Terminator films on BD yet? Maybe till when T4 comes out on BD?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks