HTF 1 , WARNER 0 - CATS & DOGS and LORDS need YOUR help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Dugger, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

Ok,
    I don't normally champion the causes, but the WONKA thing really shows the power we have as a community.
    After reading about the power the WONKA pet. had, I checked out the other two (Cats & Dogs and Lord Of The Rings) just to see if they had gotten the support that WONKA did.
    So far, the numbers have been disappointing. Just over 2000 on one and just over a 1000 for the other.
    Well, gang..... this sends a somewhat disjointed message to Warner. It's OK to P&S titles that we as a HTF community deem maybe not as popular as WONKA!
    B.S!
    I provide the links here to the two pets. that need your immediate attention....
    GO FORTH NEIGHBORS AND SUPPORT!
    'nuff said
    CATS & DOGS pet
    LORD OF THE RINGS pet
    Dugger

2. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I agree, let's all sign those petition!!! And people, please order that WS Wonka when it becomes available for preorder!!!

3. Andrea W

Andrea W Supporting Actor

Petitions signed.
    ------------------
    http://darius.mobius-soft.com/~andrea/ht/

4. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I just signed both petitions. I hope this works, this P&S stuff is unacceptable.
    -Keith-

5. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

I thought Cats and Dogs was now listed as having both P&S and Widescreen. Is this a piece of misinformation?
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Adrian Jones

6. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I did my part. #1988 for Cats & Dogs, and #2358 for LOTR.
    KJP
    ------------------
    MAR: Mutilated Aspect Ratio. Opposite of OAR. Describes the MARring of film releases by not releasing them in the original aspect ratio.

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Josh Sabarra of WB just told me that he wants Phong to call him on Sept. 4th (after a trip to New York next week for Wonka and then after the Labor Day holiday). He hopes that he can tell Phong at that time whether or not LoTR & C&D will be widescreen. Josh tell me WW is anamorphic. See my full post here:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum15/HTML/029749-7.html

8. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    The petition that needs the most support is the one that calls for all of Warner's product to include OAR. Lets get to the heart of the matter instead of just going release by release.
    Here is a link to that petition:
    Warner: Support the Entire DVD Community!
    Warner is taking steps in the right direction, but a company policy that would ensure OAR as an option on each release is what we should be aiming for.
    ------------------
    My DVD's
    If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

9. Antonio_M

Antonio_M Stunt Coordinator

I signed those two petitions the first minute they were announced. :up:

10. Don Myles

Don Myles Stunt Coordinator

It's kinda grim I suppose - wish we could just have got a blanket announcement from WB rather than a single one about a Wonka release.
    Maybe it is my suspicious mind - divide and rule seems to work for my employer so why wouldn't it work for WB?
    Lets keep it going until we get the announcement from WB that all DVDs will be released in OAR.
    Don
    ------------------

11. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

12. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

I'm signature 1581.
    OAR PURLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEEEE!!
    God.. I shouldn't have to ask in a perfect world.
    ------------------
    Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
    Sony DVP 536
    Old Panasonic Stereo! :)

13. Pete Calderwood

I'm all for widescreen and everything, and signed the Cats & Dogs petition because I realize that future "family" titles I may want are in danger of having OAR destroyed, but isn't this movie a steaming pile? [​IMG] On IMDB it got quite low marks, and I read many reviews that it's one of those kids movies that adults can't get in to. Comments?
    ------------------
    Dai miei incubi e nei miei sogni -
    Un' Esistenza Rovinata...

14. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Pete, yes it was very painful to watch.
    But I am a DVD addict, and I love the trailer. [​IMG]
    All I need really is for Warner to cross-promote Cats & Dogs by putting the trailer on a better disc (just not CK!).

15. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Am I the only one who thinks it's wrong to sign the petitions for discs that you have no intention of buying? I for one have no interest in Cats & Dogs, and really couldn't care less if it was P&S. I did care about Wonka and signed for that one, and will likely buy the widescreen version when it comes out.
    Forcing Warner to release WS versions of titles that you're not going to buy is just going to cause problems down the road. Sure, Wonka might sell great in WS, but if they see a 10000 sig petition for C&D, and it doesn't sell 10000 copies, then we have a problem.
    Now Neverending Story on the other hand-I'd buy a WS version of that in a second!

16. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I disagree completely. I think these petitions should be signed by everybody who want their movies OAR - regardless of whether they intend to buy the movie in question. It's a question of principle here - is it or is it not acceptable for a studio to start making non-OAR only releases? It obviously is not OK, and we should let them know so.
    Every HTF member should sign the generic pro-OAR petition, in my opinion, and signing the other ones seems to me like a no brainer too.
    I will probably not buy Wonka, but I did sign the petition. I care about the principle, not the movie itself - and so should any enthusiast who wants OAR in the future.
    ------------------
    /Kimmo

17. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

Numbers 2431 and 3212.
    ------------------
    -Dwayne
    "And vidi films I would."

18. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

The title of the movies is really a moot point. These petitions have NOTHING to do with whatever movie it is. It has EVERYTHING to do with not letting a studio release only a pan-n-scan version. I know that you can't make the studio stop pressing p/s discs, but you also cannot allow them to NOT press the OAR version.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love