What's new

HT design comments appreciated (esp double french doors/soundproofing) (1 Viewer)

derek

Second Unit
Well I'm getting some contractors in to give us estimates on finishing our basement. Obviously of most importance is the HT room! I'll be mounting a CRT projector with probably a painted wall screen. I'll be doing the low voltage wiring/conduits myself. I plan on having a dedicated 20amp circuit...maybe an addition one (or 15 amp.) My biggest concerns are soundproofing the room. For the ceiling having RG13 insulation (or something similar) in the joists with resilent channeling and then 5/8" sheetrock. I'd like to use recessed lighting but am afraid that may eliminate some of the ceiling soundproofing. For the two new walls (side and rear) having staggered stud design, RG13 and 5/8" sheetrock. I'm also considering/debating using something like Erik F's roofing material (save $$$) for additional soundproofing.
As you can see by the design diagram I'd like to include 2 sets of double french doors as entry in the HT room. Mainly to give easy access/openness between the two rooms for guest and party-type occasions. I'm concerned at how the doors would negatively affect soundproofing. I was thinking of 2 sets of exterior insulated/weatherstripped type french doors (like I have for my walkout basement access.) These have glass panels. Though I'm sure I could find solid core french doors also. Anyone use them in their HT? Any suggestions appreciated including construction, layout, wiring runs, additional outlets etc. TIA!

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Make sure you know your expectations when considering "soundproofing". Soundproof means no sound in or out. And to achieve this is a huge and expensive task. If you are looking at sound management that's something different. Having french doors will be a huge challenge as it presents such a huge open space (insulated, weatherstripped, or not). The glass panels might as well be tissue paper. And they also eliminate your ability to control light in just that room, which will be paramount with a CRT.

I see where you're going with the design but you'll need to balance aesthetics and access with performance expectations in terms of sound travel. Another consideration may be to have a set of french doors open into a theater "lobby", where you could have casual seating and a standup bar, movie posters, etc. From there a single door entrance into the theater. The lobby would act as additional buffer from the rest of the basement while still representing the theater.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Derek,

This link will get you started on some of the basics of soundproofing. From your description you’re already headed in the right direction with the resilient channel and 5/8” sheetrock. I’d take it a step further, however, and double up on the sheetrock, or perhaps use a product like Quietrock.
As Jay indicates, it will essentially obliterate any gains you achieve elsewhere. Soundproofing is only as good as the weakest link, and two sets of French doors would be like a gaping hole in the side of a battle ship. If you must use them, get some that are double-paned – i.e., intended for an external door.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks