What's new

HT Complete! Shamelessly looking for compliments! (1 Viewer)

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
Rob: w/ regard to the Tosh 4700...I've gone through a lot of dvd players in the past 4 years & most recently I had a Panasonic 91 hooked up to a Toshiba 36x81 TV. The Panasonic was a huge leap forward as compared to my previous players. It was, however, a pretty good challenge to set up & tweak. I loved the DVD-A and the ability to adjust color. One of the problems with the Toshiba TV was that you could not save settings for each input. The settings on my S-Video input for TV & VCR were vastly different from those on the Componenet input for DVD. Prior to the Panny I ran the DVD through the S-Video. With the Panasonic I was able to adjust the color settings on the tv for the S input and adjust the color settings on the DVD player for the Component input.

When I got the Pioneer Elite 610 tv I read that it was best to feed it an interlaced signal & let the internal tv processors do their job. So, I sold the Panasonic & picked up a new Tosh 4700 for $189 + $20 shipping on UBid. I chose the Toshiba for it's DVD-A & reputation. So, I can't really compare the video vs. the Panasonic because I also changed TV's. I can tell you that I get a phenomenal picture w/ my current set up! I use the interlaced component output of the 4700. I have not tried the progressive output. The DVD-A sounds the same to me on both units. One thing in the Toshiba's favor over the Panasonic is the ease of set-up & use. I found the "Navi" function much better / easier than Panasonic's "Display" function. It's also 1/3 the price!

Kishu: The room is right around 2500cf & opens up to a kitchen that is just under 2400cf. There is also a hallway that leads to the front door & an a hallway to the left of the SVS sub that leads upstairs. The tv has always been in that spot, but we've moved things around through trial & error. I've had speakers mounted in several different spots until I learned a few things from Dennis Erskine. Dennis ISF's my last TV & gave me some great pointers about speaker placement. Bringing the front speakers away from the wall & placing the bi-pole surrounds 6' from the floor directly on the room sides both made big differences in the overall sound. Adding the two rear centers really pulled it all together.

Sankar: I get pretty anal about hiding speaker wires & bundling cables. The components used to be on the left side of our room. Moving them to their present position caused me many extra hours of work! Plus...my 7 month old dog would just love to get hold of a few wires for fun!

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
drool

i have two questions :

- what component rack is that? looks beautiful

- how did you take care of those nasty cables?

edit:

i havent heard anything about mission speaker, so i tried to search it on google. i was surprised when it brought me to denon's website! the speakers looked awesome, but how come they are not popular in htf??? how does it compare to another popular brand such as nht, paradigm, etc etc?

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
Felix: Mission speakers are a British company. They have joined up with Denon from a marketing perspective. I got them at my local HiFi Buys / Tweeter store, who used to carry the whole line. The store gave me full trade up value on my previous Klipsch Quintet toward the purchase of the Missions. They no longer carry the Mission line. I just got the floorstanding speakers a few months ago. They were very difficult to locate, but I eventually found them new on ebay. The speakers have always received positive reviews in the HT mags. I think they sound great!

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Gary,

Your system looks great. I especially like the Sanus rack. I researched it on Amazon, but the glass shelves only support 60 lbs. Could you please tell me if the shelves are removable and if you think it would be possible to replace one with 1/2 inch glass to support a 110 lb amp?

Thanks,

Russ

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I'm shamelessly going to admit that you have a great looking (and probably sounding) system.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Gary,

Very nice and neat. I love the look of the new Sanus line.

Jim Golden

Stunt Coordinator
Gary:

Looks great! Very neat and tidy. How did you get rid of those annoying wires? Does your Sanus rack have a wire management system? My Bell Ogetti's do, but there so small, to me, they're useless.

Jim

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Gary,

Thank you for the info. Your system is really teriffic. The time you put into it shows.

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks