What's new

Hsu VTF-2 vs. Adire Rava (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Anybody have any thoughts on my previous extraordinarily convoluted and probably unnecessarily complicated question?
Well, anyway... ;)
I've fairly well decided on going with two towers upfront that will likely give me sufficient bass extension for music sans sub (probably the Axiom M60s). But for the occasional 1812 Overture and Bach organ piece, I'm sure I'll want to incorporate the sub.
Does everyone pretty much agree that the Rava is tighter and faster - though not as deep - as the Hsu VTF2? And is anyone integrating either sub with Axiom towers?

Den Isle

Auditioning
Wow. I'm a new member too and you guys are giving me a headache! :D
I'm also looking for a new subwoofer too.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
re: rava filling 200+ sq ft room.

i spoke with dan wiggins about choosing a rava or a dharman. i related that my main interest is musical performance. i related my equipment and my room size:

17 x 14 x 10 (238 sq ft. / 2380 cu ft.)

here is the email i received back from him:

"Thanks for the e-mail! With your size of room, either sub should work well; I probably would go with a Rava, because I prefer what it does in the bottom end, especially with music. And you won't be taxing it much at all in that size of room."

this leads me to believe that the rava will perform very well on 200+ sq ft. rooms.

kevin t

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Personally I prefer the sound of a well designed ported sub. I have not found these to be less "tight" at all, but in fact more sensitve and with better roll off on the low end.
Not to be inflammatory, but actually from a scientific point of view just the opposite is correct. Ported designs allow for lower extension, but roll-off very quickly when they reach their port tuning limitations. Sealed subs, in contrast, usually have less extension but a much smoother roll-off curve. Case in point, the Adire Rava has an anechoic F3 of 27Hz but it's F8 is 18Hz, while the Hsu VTF-2 (in max extension mode) has an anechoic F3 of 25Hz and an F8 of 20Hz.

"Tightness" and sensitivity are another matter entirely. Those are characteristics of the box's Q rating (lower is generally better) and the particular driver being used.

Eric, for your needs I'd go with the Rava. IMO, it's the better of the 2 subs when it comes to music and almost as good as the VTF-2 in HT applications.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks