What's new

Help With Final Sub Decision: VTF-2 vs. Rava (1 Viewer)

Denis K

Agent
Hey folks,
Well I've pretty much decided on the "5" part of a new 5.1 setup. I'm going with and Ascend Acoustics setup. Now for the ".1". As part of Ascend's HT package, I can get a HSU VTF-2 for what works out to be $350 (vs. $499 from HSU). My other option is to go with an Adire Rava ($399). Even though the HSU retails for $100 more, I can get it for $50 less than the cheaper Rava. But considering that I plan to use the sub for a long time, and that performance is the most important factor, I'm not going to sweat $50 either way.
Since both HSU and Adire are i-companies I can't listen to either, let alone both subs to compare them. I have read everything I can find on HTF and AR, but would really appreciate thoughts and recommendations from you folks on which to go with. Or at least additional factors to consider.
Room size: 16.5 x 16.5 with vaulted ceiling max 10ft. (approx. 2380 cu. ft.). This is an enclosed room that does open into others areas.
Use: 65% HT, 35% music
Thanks heaps in advance!
------------------

Evan A

Stunt Coordinator
It is actually the ".1" of the 5.1 that the sub plays.
wink.gif

Asscend is OFFICIALLY partnered with HSU. The VTF is your best bet because the speakers are designed to work with the VTF.
BTW great choice on the Asscend. I would love to hear your oppinion on your speakers after you get em.
------------------
--------------------
Evan Adams
[email protected]
--------------------

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i was SERIOUSLY considering the EXACT SAME THING about a month ago. i decided to stick with my free Cambridge SoundWorks Ensemble IV speakers though (due to lack of $$).
but after numerous posts and emails between Dan Wiggins and Tom V about those 2 subs, i chose to go with...SVS!! I figured if i coughed up the extra money now, i wouldnt have to down the line. also, i think the 25-31PC i got (b-stock for $599) will beat out either of the two. the final selling point for me was that it was vertical standing, so it took up less room in my dorm. i say spend the extra few hundred and be happy with it for longer. i can understand if you don't want to spend the extra $$ though.
i really say go SVS if you have an old amp lying around. you can use it to power an SVS 25-31CS for $399 shipped.
that's what i researched in the last month...glad i could offer it to someone. whichever one you choose, however, will make you VERY happy for years to come. good luck!
------------------
-Thomas
Click here to visit my webpage.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Comparing the VTF-2 and the Rava involves more than a choice of SPLs, as many find the sound and transient response of a sealed sub to be preferable, at least for music (reproducing "notes" as opposed to "effects"). In an SPL comparison, a vented will almost always win. There's certainly no longer the gulf here that there once was among quality subs, and some don't find it all that critical.
Having said that, given the space (and adjacent spaces) you've got to fill, and your preference for movies,I'd probably recommend the Hsu (especially at $350). It's also tough to argue with Evans' point about their working as a system, the Ascend and Hsu.
An SVS 25-31 would be worth the extra cost, especially if you can get a B-stock unit, or have an amp you can use as Thomas mentioned.
And, of course, there's Adires's new Dharman, another Shiva-based sub which seems geared more toward higher-SPL "home-theater" bass in larger spaces than the Rava. One of those would run about $550 delivered 'till about the 17th, I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks