What's new

hp scanner problem (1 Viewer)

Grady Reid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Grady
Help! I'm at my wits end! I have a HP ScanJet 4300C. I have it hooked up to my Gateway laptop via USB. One day I try to start a scan using the scanner application (Precision Scan LTX 1.1). I app opens up and a window appears saying it warming-up the lamp- but the lamp never comes on. The window is on the screen until I close the app. I get the same results when I hit the "hot button" on the scanner. The scanner app opens up, but the lamp never comes on.
Now here's the kicker! I can use the copy function on the scanner. I can open up the application that will simply scan an item and spits it out on the printer. Lamp comes on- no problem. Unfortunately when I use that app to scan something, I can't save it as a file.
I've tried removing and re-installing the Precision Scan app, but I get the same results.
FYI- the scanner is out of warrenty and HP wanted $25 just to say hello to tech support. I'm trying to do this on my own.:angry:
I'm guessing its the scanner software. Is there other software I can use other than Precision Scan to run the scanner? Can this be fixed? Will my scanner scan to file ever again?

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
You can use most any image editing program with TWAIN support to initiate a scan. Only problem is that they don't have their own scanning software (all I've used anyway) so they use the HP scanning utility to get the scan.
I use PhotoShop and it goes through the HP ScanJet utility to aquire the scan, then dumps it into PhotoShop.

What OS are you using?

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I had some problems with a similar HP scanner on Win98. It never really did work the way it was supposed to. I had to kind of rig it.

First off, I uninstalled all the HP software. Drivers and all, then re-ran the installation using the custom setup. I only installed the needed files (no image editing software, just drivers and capture software) and used a 3rd party editing software to scan to.

Granted, this is a different situation, but it worked for me to use as little HP software as possible.

My problems were solved when I finally got a new PC running Win 2000. It had drivers for the scanner so I never had to install anything, Windows loaded what I needed and it's worked great since then.

My overall opinion is that I don't like HP scanners. They're nice when they work correctly, but I've heard other stories of them doing really weird things for seemingly no reason.

JoshR

Agent
have you checked to see if HP offers an updated version of the software, or a patch?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks