What's new

How would I do this? (1 Viewer)

Jason_M

Stunt Coordinator
ok, here goes. My parents are getting dishnetwork. They are getting 2 Dual Tuners. One DVR and one standard. The DVR will go in the living room and connect to that TV and then run to their bedroom. The standard receiver will go in the den's tv and run to the spare bedroom. Now here's my question. I looked at a pic of the back of the DVR receiver and the description on dishnetwork's website. This is what it says:

TV1 connections:
1 set RCA type a/v outputs
1 set s-video output
1 rf mod. output (channel 3/4)
1 tv antenna/cable input
1 optical digital output

TV2 connections:
1 set RCA a/v output
1 agile modulated output (channels 21-69, 73-125) stereo audio

Ok now onto the question. The living room and their bedroom are on opposite ends of the house. They will use the s-video and optical for the living room but how will they run a rca a/v cable all the way to the other side of the house for their bedroom? Is there something out there that converts rca to coax cable for long runs or what? Also, what is the agile modulated output?

Please help, I am dumb.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Jason, the RF output IS a coax output. You could use that for the long run into the bedroom. Only caveat is that the bedroom TV will have to be on either channels 3 or 4 (user selectable) to watch the Dish signal.

Jason_M

Stunt Coordinator
tv1 will have to go the living room because it will use the s-video and optical out, so the tv2 connection has to go to the bedroom so that won't work. Thanks anyway.

Neal_C

Second Unit
Jason,

The modulated output of the second tuner travels over the coax line. When Dish does the install, if necessary, they will drop another coax line to run from the living room to the bedroom.

The bedroom tv will need to be on some arbitrary channel that you listed (doesn't matter which one). The remote for the second tv uses RF (radio frequency) to control the 2nd tuner in the satellite box in the living room, without effecting the 1st tuner that is operating in the living room.

Neal

Jason_M

Stunt Coordinator
I dont think you guys understand what I am saying. The agile modulated output for TV2 dosent look like a standard rf coax. it is a rca style connector.

Neal_C

Second Unit
I assume since you say they are "getting Dish" that you don't have the box in front of you and are probably looking at the picture shown here

Yes, under "TV2" the output labeled ch21-68 out is yellow like the video RCA connection, but if you look at everything else in its design aside from the yellow color, you will see it is exactly the same as the tv ch3-4 out under "TV1", which is a coax connector.

I am not sure why they have a yellow color on the coax output under "TV2", but it is definitely coax.

I was at the Dish Network Press conference at CES when they talked about their new dual tuner boxes and how they worked. I have also been in communication with a Regional Sales Manager (who I met at CES) about my interest in Dish as well.

The installer will set it up and have it working.

Neal

Jason_M

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I do not have it in front of me but why is it called something else if it is the same thing?

Neal_C

Second Unit
On your living room tv, if you were using the coax connector and TV1 on the satellite box, you would have to tune your tv to channel 3 or 4, right? Right.

The modulated output for TV2 uses the same concept, except you just have to tune the tv in the bedroom to any channel in the range listed (21 to 68, or whatever, just not 3 or 4). That is just the way the technology works.

And the difference in the channel numbers is the only difference in the naming of the output connector.

It works, I have seen it in action.

Neal

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks