What's new

How would I completely roundover an edge of 3/4" MDF? (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Is there a router bit that can roundover the entire edge of 3/4" MDF or other wood? I will be building endcap covers (that hang over the tube slightly with a roundover edge) for a sonosub soon and am wondering if I can do this. I'll try to draw what I'm looking for below:

IIIIIID "D" being the roundover edge

IIIIII

IIIIII

IIIIII =Tube

IIIIII

IIIIII

IIIIII

IIIIIID

Travis G

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff if I understand what your saying you want a lip to go over the edge of the sonotube. If this is the case I don't know how you will get the endcaps into place. I had to round off the edges of my endcaps when I pounded them in and it was still a bugger of a job. I guess you could cut them so they fit in kind of loosley so long as you thoroughly sealed it with some silicon caulk.

Nevermind I understand.

charles_w

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

If you have a circle jig you can use a 3/8" roundover

and do one side at a time.

E

Eric Kahn

there are 3/4 roundover router bits availible, you just need to find the store that has one, you would want one with a pilot bearing and then screw the piece you want to round over to another piece that has been cut out as a guide plate for the pilot bearing

or use a circle attachment on the router

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Brian,

That seems to be it! Is that bit adjustable to any size radius you want? Those are very expensive though. WOW!

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,
No you'd have to go with whatever the largest radius is. In this case, that's 1/4". But that's probably as large as you could go with a 3/4" thick material. My Dad used to build a lot of furniture out of pine and would often use a router to round over both sides of the material. He'd just do one edge, then flip it over and do the other. I think he was using a regular 1/4" radius bit. This would be a cheaper way to go. The standard roundover bits (1/4" shank) are less than half the price.
http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-router...498621_8767+28
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks