What's new

How was your Black Friday? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I spent an buttload of money this Friday! Man, I tore my credit card a new one...

At 8 a.m. I took the car into the Honda shop to get my timing belt and my water pump replaced (as well as the other belts). That was $320 after a 20% off coupon. I spent most of the 3 hours of waiting at the nearby mall where I just window shopped, but there were plenty of shoppers (don't know if they were buying, but they were at least looking for the deals advertised in the papers).

At 11 a.m. I headed over to Best Buys, and was surprised that what I wanted, they still had: 110 CDRs (80 minutes capacity) for basically free after rebates, 3 copies of Office Space (these are X-Mas gifts for my office mates), 1 copy of Bad Boys (for $9, what the hell!). The checkout line wasn't too bad, about 15 minutes at worst. After rebates, I spent around $40.

At 12 p.m. Went over to Home Depot and picked up a Toro leaf blower/vacuum for around $45

At 12:30 p.m. Went over to CompUsa and picked out the Que 24x10x40x CDRW drive that had for sale for $80 after rebates. I figure it was probably the same one as the Liteon model since it came with Nero CD burning software with the 2MB buffer and the Burnproof-like capabilities.

At 12:45 p.m. Went over to Target and picked up the Snow White DVD for $13, and a Black&Decker 12V Cordless Screwdriver and 18 piece handyman set for $50 (the main drawback of this deal is that there's only one battery pack, but I figure I can live with this drawback for now, though an extra battery was a friggin' $30!)

At 1 p.m. Went over to Costco and picked up a $2 slice of pepperoni pizza.

Once I post this, I'll be going to see Spy Game at the local theater. TTFN.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I scored 'Golden Sun' from Target for $25... then immediately ran home as Target was becoming the scene of a mob ;)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I stayed home, slept in. Then drove out to get some breakfast, sat on the patio ate and drank coffee then finished up the 3 end tables to go along with the park benchs on my front patio.
Kick'en it now, then heading to Steelhead brewery with some buds tonight for brews and dinner.
Nice and relaxing.
Peace Out~:D

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I woke up at 7 AM, stood in line outside Best Buy for an hour and managed to find one copy of the free Fox Demo DVD I was after thrown in the middle of a bazillion "Planet of the Apes" discs. Would've bought a $49 Dreamcast but had to get to my job at a different music and video retailer, which is where I am right now.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
1:30PM - Woke up.
1:30PM-3:45PM - Played some video games.
3:45-4:15 - Ate breakfast (that's right...breakfast).
4:15-6:00 - Watched Shrek.
6:00-present - Internet.
I worked at Best Buy during last year's Black Friday. It was absolute pandemonium. Needless to say, a lazy day of video games, food, and movies is far superior to dealing with rabid customers :)

Sam C

Stunt Coordinator
I tried buying the $49 Maxtor 60GB drive at Best Buy but they were sold out at 7:10 ...

Black Friday should be renamed to ... The day after Thanksgiving in which every person who is happens to be a complete moron decides to go shopping ...

AKA Stupid ppl shopping day ...

I cannot communicate properly through words how mad it makes me when ppl just stop in the middle of an aisle somewhere to start up a conversation ... Then have the nerve to be angry as you want through ... I nearly tossed knuckles 3 times in 2 hours of shopping ...

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I was working @ CompUSA today. We had a LOT of customers coming in (over 100 per hour) throughout the day. When we first opened, however, there were at least 100 people lined up outside CompUSA. It was a mad house! I wish I had that lazy day of video games, movies and food like you did, Joe! :D

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Did not buy a damn thing. I did however leave work this morning and go to Best Buy. I could not believe the cars in the lot... and in the grass... and on the side of the street, etc. Of course the people inside was even worse. Hard to believe I waited in line for 45 minutes to get the free FOX DVD.

I will check it out in a little while here at work. Did I happen to mention my portable DVD player works great on the 50" plasma widescreen we have here? On the down side it does not have a speaker system. However, graveyards have never been the same since we got it.

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
well had the family out to Toys 'R Us to get some Christmas gift ideas for the kiddies... getting late so we start heading home, about a 15 minute drive.

as we sit at a light, i mention to my wife - hehe, look at that bumper sticker (on a honda to our left) it said "Honk if you want ME!"... little did i know I'd be honking, but not for that reason...

the light turns green and we're driving along, it was 2 girls in the red honda ex just boppin along - i'm a bit tired from running around all day... so just toolin along ~30-40mph and she decides to turn into my lane, and when i say turn - i don't mean a gradual slide into my lane, but she turned HARD (I think to make it into the Burger King)... well, i didnt' get a word out, couldn't brake (she would have nailed me) just reflexes and cut HARD to the right - broke the tires loose which got her attention... then of course the tail end decided to come around on me so i'm counter-steering to get back in line, of course i'm out of practice on the AutoCross techniques (duh, never been) - so i over-corrected and WHEE! the front goes toward HER car! haha - i think i still remember the look on the passenger's face

anyhoo, i finally get the ass-end wiggle under control, check the mirror and LAY on the brakes - tightening the ever protective seatbelts... the honda proceeded to the next left turn to escape my audible barrage...

well, my kids were both excited and scared - my wife couldn't believe i kept the car straight...

yet another thing to be thankful for...

safe at home!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I stayed with a friend Thursday night because she wanted to get up at 3 Friday morning to join the march of the damned at the stores, and she wanted me to go with her. When we got to Wal-Mart at 5:30 and I saw the lines of people, I called bullshit and stayed in the car and slept while she shopped. We got back to her place around 8 and I started work on her Ranger to put in two 12" subs and an amp, which I made last all day because I didn't want to go back out into the melee of deranged lunatics in Little Rock. (I'm serious folks....someone opened the idiot floodgates and let them all on the highway yesterday.)

So after I finished I took a nap while she went to work. After I woke up, I went to her place of business and had dinner (she works at a Mexican resturaunt) then went out with some buddies and had a few drinks.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Just the highlights:
Replaced battery on a 89 Toyota pickup.
Replaced underhood wiring harness, fuel injectors, EGR vacuum modulator, alarm Piezo chirper, and intake plenum gasket on a 97 Corolla that had an engine fire due to it's owner's attempt to change his own oil and filter.
Installed rebuilt power steering pump and new high-pressure power steering hose on a 91 Camry.
Bought groceries and cigarets on the way home from work.
Changed kitty litter box. Put fresh antiseptic on kitty claw scratches on my ankles.
Played catch with my small dog for an hour.
Ate homemade cheeseburgers and fries while watching Hannibal on dvd.
Divided leftovers from dinner between Kitty and Doggy in separate rooms to prevent sibling rivalry.
There are times I'm glad I have to work on Black Friday.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
My reciever's rear channels died on me on Thanksgiving, so I spent Friday looking for a new one, decided upon the Pioneer VSX-710S, then went and got Bad Taste LE from Suncoast and tried to buy the new Cowboy Bebop box set but the guy who worked there said that he was buying the one behind the counter....bitch.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I was spared the chance to build character by shopping on black Friday.

7am: Got up after going to bed at 5am. Played on internet all night.

7am-9am: Slugged around and finally showered.

9am: Dropped by Wal-Mart to pick up some medicine for my new little nephew. Also impulse bought the new Planet of the Apes dvd.

11am-5pm: Wife and I headed over to her parents house. They have a farm which is a beautiful spread out in the country. On an overcast day such as it was, it's a gorgeous place to be. The cool breeze blowing made taking a nap out in a hammock under a tree a real pleasure. Also shot footage with my digital camcorder experimenting with underexposure for that subdued look. Came out pretty good.

Other than that, my wife and I basically babysat my neice and newphew and slugged around.

5pm: We came home, ate dinner, and wife watched Soapnet. I hate that channel but Genie Frances is hotter than hell. I played on the internet up until passing out at 10pm.

This was far better than shopping which sucks anyway unless it's at Fry's, Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, etc.

Wade K

Second Unit
Got to Staples at 7:00...apparently, they decided to open earlier to clear the lines. Great:frowning: All the 'free after rebate' stuff was long gone.
Managed to get one of the Palm deals (Palm Vx, GPS Companion(!), bunch of extras) for $199.
Noticed that the only thing on my receipt was the Palm...none of the free goodies, so I went back yesterday with the Best Buy ad and price-matched for $150. Since I plan on ebaying some of the accessories, I should end up with a new Palm with a GPS receiver for about $100.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Went an hour north friday evening to see a good friend.We went out for pizza then to walmart when I got there.

Went back to her place and became very good friends."woke up" yesterday and we just ran around lafayette all day until it was time for me to come home...

Craig Chatterton

Stunt Coordinator
Woke up at around 7am in my tent to the sound of rain. Got dressed and headed over to my bro-in-law's camper and we played cards all morning long and ate junk food. Finally decided to go into town to get some supplies. Stopped at the local Wal-Mart and grabbed some rain gear. It was crowded but not that bad, we were in a small town (Coos-Bay). Went back to the campsite, set up the rain gear and headed out on the dunes. Played around for about three hours until it got dark, then came back and ate some dinner, drank some beer and enjoyed the night.

(We were camping at Horsefal Dunes on the Oregon Coast all weekend. It was a blast!)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Got up at 6:00 am. Left the house immediately afterwards and arrived at Best Buy around 6:10. Line was already 100 deep. Waited in line with my wife, in the freezing cold & wind, until 7:00. By then there were hundreds in line, and it stretched all the way down the parking lot, past the nearby Office Depot, and around the corner for who knows how far.

However... once the doors opened, I had my 60GB hard drive for $50, 500MB of PC-133 RAM for $20, paid for my purchases, delt with the door nazis, and was back in my car by 7:05. Talk about quick! I lost my wife within seconds of entering the store, however, and had to go back in on a search & rescue mission to extract her from hostile territory. (Best Buy is not exactly her favorite store) I found her wandering around, lost and confused... got her out and quickly inserted her into JC Penny, where she was at home in a clothing wonderland. Unfortunately, I was sucked in as well and spent some time watching her try on jeans.

Then spent the rest of the day running around to various stores.

Finally got home, went to install my new drive, and my 10.2GB system volume on my server refused to come back up. Do yourselves a favor and don't ever buy Quantum drives. This is the second one that's failed on me. What garbage. Spent the rest of the weekend rebuilding everything. My web site is STILL offline... (yes, I have a backup, I just have to restore it and get Apache running again) I'm setting up a mirror volume now so the next time this happens, I can swap a cable and have it running in 5 minutes...

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I went with my fiance's family into NYC (we were in NJ) and visited the Ground Zero site. You might think that you have an understanding of the damage and death that happened there, but until you see it in person, it really doesn't hit you.
We then walked to Chinatown, Little Italy, and the SoHo district before heading back through the Lincoln Tunnel. We went back to the house for Antipasta (her family is VERY Italian :))
Didn't get much shopping done, will have to do that back in Tennessee the Sunday before Christmas :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks