What's new

How to use a ... router (1 Viewer)

Luke_Khuc

Stunt Coordinator
:b Yes you read that right. I just bought my router today and I read the manual this afternoon. I'm still not sure how to cut the circular hole out of the MDF board. Don't I have to drill a small hole first (as a guide) then start cutting from there? Or can I just start cutting from the flat surface? I don't want to do something wrong and end up getting injured :) Thank you in advance for your inputs.

Andrew Lin

Grip
Do you have a circle jig? if so... drill a hole in the middle of the cutout and stick the guide pin and adjust your jig to the proper length and cut away. It works kinda like a compass...

If you don't have a jig... get one! or make one.. I use the Jasper Jig that can be purchased from Parts Express

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
hi luke,
go get one of these you cant go wrong. as a router novice(or expert for that matter) you wont be able to freehand a circle. with a jasper circle jig, all you have to worry about is the centerpoint of the circle. a well placed starter hole drilled on the circumference of the circle will help get things started, i.e. prevent the bit from breaking...a bad thing.
wear some goggles and a dust mask. dont think you wont get pierced by a flying bit. we all HATE breathing the dust. besides NOT inhaling that foul dust, wearing a dust mask really really makes routing easier too.
dont try to route your circles in a single pass. only dig in 1/8 to 1/4 inch at a time.
also, if you are going to flush mount the driver, route the countersink first (it doesnt go all the way through the wood, OK?) then reposition your pivot pin for the inner radius (smaller circle) and go all the way through the wood. hope that helps. be careful, have fun, and good luck.
cheers
jeff
and oh yeah, use a carbide bit. if you have high speed steel bits, tie your fishing line to them and use them for casting practice with a trashcan. ;)

Chad Anson

Second Unit
One other thing -- practice on scrap wood first! ;) Also, don't forget ear protection. My router is l-o-u-d! Would hate for you to not be able to really appreciate the fruits of your labor.

Luke_Khuc

Stunt Coordinator
Thx all for your replies. I don't have the circle jig yet and will make one. I will flush mount the driver. Thanks for the hint Jeff! I just thought about it and if I did it the other way around...not good :)

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
Parts express is a rip off if you ever want to return something

I bought alot of stuff from partsexpress in the past month. The products were fine but if you ever want to return anything, they'll screw you over. I did not see any 25% restocking fee on they're website, but it was written on the back of my reciept when I got the package. They over charge on shipping products, I bought a IEC plug for $17 and the shipping was $10!!! You have to pay for shipping both ways and take the 25% restocking fee. What a freaking scam.

Rudy H

Stunt Coordinator
Let's read Parts Express's Ordering info (one of the top links at the top of the homepage)
SHIPPING CHARGES - Shipping charges are figured by adding $2.75 to carrier's current chart rate.
Try returning a computer part to an online computer parts company, like newegg.com , they won't pay for return shipping and they also charge a restocking fee.
Would you like some cheeze with that whine?
Back on-topic, I can't wait to get my Jasper and start routing :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks