What's new

How to spend $200? (1 Viewer)

Imposster

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
I'm new to this, so hopefully somebody experienced can give some insight. I'm not gonna list the models I have cause it's not important. I recently got my new 65" smart tv, so naturally I had to set up my cheap RCA 5.1 system with it. First day it's hooked up, my optical input quits working, so now I'm using av cables which makes the Dolby digital setting not work. I'm pretty content with the sound, but it's not very loud. I have an old Kenwood 5 channel receiver which puts out more power and looks like it has better specs but needs a powered subwoofer. Should I use this receiver and just buy a powered subwoofer or go buy a new receiver that has HDMI inputs? Does using HDMI create a major sound quality improvement? Both my receivers are old so I have to use av cables. My budget is about $200.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
HDMI will allow you to play the high def audio on Blurays. That will only sound better if you have the system to support it, which seems unlikely in the $200 range. Since you are okay with the sound you have now, I say that the $200 would do the most good put to a good soundbar.

On the other hand, if loud is your goal (and not ignoring quality), I'd consider a mid-bass module (instead of a true sub). That will cover more of the spectrum of the RCA speakers (which I'd imaging are not great speakers), and still give you an oomph boost similar to a true sub.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Sound like you have an RCA HTiB unit currently. Replacing it with with a new/refurb AVR will still require you to get a powered sub. You should also check to see what the impedance rating on the speakers you currently have. If they are 3 ohms like some of the HTiB ones are you shouldn't use them with a budget AVR as they will put a strain on the amp.

What are you looking for with this upgrade a new 5.1 setup? Just better sound out of the TV? Are you open to setting up a 2.0/2.1 and adding in the other parts later? Are you open to soundbars?

Imposster

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Thanks for the replies. I wondered if upgrading my receiver would do much since I'm sure the cheap speakers will still hold me back. Like I said, I'm content with the sound quality for now, just need some more volume. I might just go with my Kenwood receiver and drop $110 for a Yamaha powered sub I found on Amazon. I don't want to go soundbar just for the fact that I mounted my speakers on the walls and don't want to deal with filling in holes. In time I'd like to upgrade everything to something nice. Thanks.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Actually, the model numbers would have been helpfull.

Those RCA speakers might have proprietary connections (which could probably be snipped off) but they might be 3 ohm as well which might damage your Kenwood (or any other entry to mid level receiver). Proceed with caution.

But that old Kenwood, matched with a $75 BR player, Dayton sub and decent speakers (meaning better then those RCA's) can still sound very, very good even without lossless audio.

Imposster

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
It's an RCA rtk2380bk. Rated at like 45 watts per channel and the speakers are 6 ohm. Doesn't really matter cause I hooked up my Kenwood receiver yesterday and it was dead. I'll be looking for a new receiver soon, I've found an Onkyo, Pioneer, and Sony all at $200, which is the most I want to spend. Any certain specs I should be looking for? I think I'll start here and try to upgrade speakers in a few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks