What's new

connecting projector to old receiver with RCA only inputs (1 Viewer)

Carolyn D

Auditioning
Ok, I would like to purchase a Projector (under $1,000), 1080p, 3D. Torn between DLP and LCD, setup will be in a living room 17' by 13' (rear surrounds face the long end of the room) and not a dedicated HT room so there will be ambient light. Thinking about a refub Epson 3020 or the BenQ HC1200 or BenQ HT3050. My concern with DLP is color fade and headaches while viewing.

Anyway, before I tackle the hardware issue I would like to understand how I am going to connect everything. I would like to be able to watch my laserdics, dvd and satellite TV through the Projector. I would like to use my old HK AVR 30 receiver to process the sound from these input devices. My receiver only has RCA inputs for sound, no digital inputs, no coax, no optical, just RCA. Laserdic player has RCA output and Svideo.

Before I purchase a projector and a bluray/3d DVD player I would like to understand how I connect the input devices to the output devices. I do not want to upgrade my receiver, I know it is old, but I love my old, made in Japan, HK. I love my surround sound setup, I don't have a subwoofer but quite honestly, my old Infinity Reference speakers don't really need a sub at this time.

My understanding is that I need to be careful with the audio connection otherwise I might end up with a delay between audio and video. Will I need a Digital to analog converter for the DVD player and satellite receiver? If so I am guessing a converter with multiple switchable inputs and one output will be needed.

I am on a budget so I would prefer not to spend more than $200 dollars for a converter or any other required device. I have seen DAC (should I need one) for $30 to $50 however I do not know how effective they are.

Any information regarding how to connect the devices to my ancient receiver is appreciated.

Happy New Year

Carolyn (stuck in the 90s) :)

Carolyn D

Auditioning
Bummer.

Is there a way to connect two receivers to one pair of speakers, the left and right front, a speaker switcher? I was thinking I could keep my old receiver for my audio devices and then get another receiver which would not need a radio tuner or anything for audio, more of a designated Receiver for video input devices only and segregate the two types of devices. Just not sure how the two receivers would share front speakers. Not sure if they have a receiver like that, one designed for just video devices.

Carolyn D

Auditioning
I do have line outputs for all the speaker channels on my receiver. Can I use those to run the speakers to the other receiver?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Honestly Carolyn, there’s no good reason to go through that much trouble to keep the HK in the loop. It’s going to be a convoluted nightmare, running separate audio cables to the HK and video cables for each component up to the projector. Then in day-to-day operation having to change inputs on both the HK and the projector every time you change sources.

And for what? It isn’t going to get you any improvement in sound quality compared to a new AVR, especially for video sources since the HK only has Dolby Pro-Logic processing, which is notably inferior to Dolby Digital.

But if you’re determined to keep the HK, your best bet would be to make sure the new AVR you choose has line-level outputs for the front L/R channels. You could send those to an input on the HK, and connect the Infinity speakers to the HK. The rest of the speakers would be connected to the new AVR. When viewing surround sound sources you’d select the input on the HK for the AVR, and the former would pass the signal on to the speakers. For audio sources connected directly to the HK, things would work as you’ve been accustomed in the past. It’s still a convoluted cabling and operations mess, but at least you’d have use of the HK.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Carolyn D

Auditioning
Thank you Wayne for the information. I know I am going to need a new AVR for the HDMI switching but I just like the idea of segregating the old audio technology from the new video technology. I have a turntable, cassette deck along with the other audio sources, satellite radio, cd player, regular radio that I would like to keep with the old HK. I just did not know how to hook up the speakers. I knew the surrounds and center would go with new AVR, I just did not know how to hook up the fronts. Thank you for explaining that to me. I just don't like the idea of everything in one box, I grew up in the age when separates was the desired form of an audio setup but that setup was cost prohibitive for most. Receivers started to become popular because their sonic qualities improved and it was a less expensive setup.

I don't need 7.2, I am quite happy with 5.1 which I think will save me some money. I was looking at Onkyo, Yamaha and Denon. Not sure which model would be best, but it needs to be under $500.

In my opinion I think it is less of a cabling mess to keep the two types of cables segregated to two boxes. Besides if I ever need to upgrade the video, I don't have to touch the audio units. Obviously if the HK ever breaks, I have a backup AVR where I can move the rest over but the thing has been going strong for 21 years now and I am convinced the thing, like my old MITs TV is never going to break.

Any suggestions for an AVR receiver that will meet my needs is appreciated.

Thanks again and Happy New Year

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks