What's new

How to remove that glue off "Shrek"? (1 Viewer)

mdean

Auditioning
I originally posted this in another thread last Friday when I picked up my copy of Shrek; it's probably better suited here. Here's how I cleaned off the residue off my Shrek plastic case.
With a bit of scotch tape and some patience, I managed to clean that awful tacky glue off! Took about 10 minutes or so, but it's clean as a whistle.
I actually used the type used to tape up boxes, but ordinary scotch tape should do as well.
Simply cover the area with tape, then lift up--some of the glue will stick to the tape. Continue this lifting motion until all of this ugly, sticky stuff is gone. It doesn't take long either.
Worked for me, my case is squeeky clean now.
Mind you, I first thought super hot water would emulsify the stuff. Not a chance. Then I tried scrubbing if off. Finally, I tried the scotch tape trick, worked like a charm.
Good luck with yours

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Vegetable oil or cooking spray--works great. I used Pam or whatever that brand is. You can't tell the sticker was ever there except for the dented outline of the sticker.
------------------
This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I guess I lucked up. My card came off without any glue or anything on the box.
Hey Rob, I doubt you were just lucky -- I could be mistaken, but I think if you look a little closer you may find that the plastic square everyone is complaining about is still there on the DVD case. The little card comes off quite easily, but it's the clear plastic square that it's mounted on that is the problem. At first it looks like it isn't even there but if you look closely you'll see it. Now carefully try to pry up one of the corners (it isn't easy) and you should be able to peel the whole square off. After you do there is a very sticky residue that requires the Goo Gone or whatever to remove. In my case, even after I carefully removed it I can see the imprint of the square on the plastic cover of the keepcase if I hold it at an angle to the light.
I hope they NEVER do this again.

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
I used this spray on adhesive remover called "Lift Off". It worked great, but what a pain in the ass this all was.
Why not put a sticker advertising the BR free cone on the outer plastic and put the coupon inside the box!! Duh.
------------------
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~drashforth/_uimages/flaggif
"Historians of science have long said: A body of knowledge that does not fit in with prevailing ideas, will be ignored as if it does not exist, no matter how scientifically valid it is."
My Spare time larcenists
The worst HT in America.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i ended up using my girlfriends nail polish remover. it has a pretty high acetone content in it, so i was a little hesitant. i used the same stuff to clean some electronic components and it sort of "melted" the plastic.
anyway, it worked pretty well. it got off all the sticky residue but there still seems to be that little square "indented" into the plastic.
is that more residue or something else?
completely annoying in my opinion...i would have waited until that promotion was over...wait...what am i saying? of course i couldn't have waited! :)
------------------
"The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

Irens Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
I'm impressed, WD40 works great and it took me less than a minute. Great !!!
Where can I buy Goo Gone ? I'm curious :)

Henry C

Stunt Coordinator
Scotch tape.....does the trick. It takes a little while, but it gots the job done. Thanks for the tip.
Henry

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
WD40 worked for me.
I was so impressed, I went ahead and yanked the labels off those AOL keepcases I keep getting in the mail.
Now I have four additional pristine keepcases!
------------------
rfloto1.gif

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I ruined mine
frown.gif
Anyone know where I can get a new case like this? They're available on eBay, but only in lots of 100, and thats overkill.
------------------
--
Donald Roeber
Generating 2048 bits of randomness...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks