What's new

How to remove that glue off "Shrek"? (1 Viewer)

Tom V

Grip
Does anyone know how to get that glue off the cover of the "Shrek" DVD? I remember people writing about "Goo Gone". Where can I by that? Any major store chains? I am in the Chicago area. Thanks All

David Singleton

Stunt Coordinator
Jon, it actually came off very easily for me, but apparently I was just lucky.
Tom, Goo Gone can be purchased at Walmart. It will definately take the residue off.
David

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I knew it! It's a conspiracy concocted by Wal*Mart where if your DVD cover is ruined by glue you can buy the Glue Gone companion to remove it!
biggrin.gif

------------------
- Brian
My DVD Collection
Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
If you already have some WD-40 save your money.
patriot.gif

------------------
God Bless America

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Lighter fluid will take off that kind of residue, too.
eek.gif

Goo Gone cane be purchased at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and many many other places. A medium bottle will last a looooong time. I discovered it about 5 years ago, and it's really caught on since then. It's cheap, too!
18921googon2_8162z.jpg

[Edited last by David Lambert on November 02, 2001 at 12:21 PM]

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I had to replace my case with a spare slim dual case I already had because the original case was ruined while trying to get that damned cement off. I won't even call it glue. It is as thick as the plastic cover on the case itself. What a damned stupid idea to put something like that on the outside of a case.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Joel C

Screenwriter
For a cheaper solution, just use clear packing tape. Stick it to the goo and yank it off. It will take a few pieces of tape to get it all, but it works great. Much better than the largely ineffective Goo Gone, IMHO.
------------------
Joel
[email protected]
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."
digitallyOBSESSED

Frank_W

Stunt Coordinator
Lighter fluid will take off that kind of residue, too.
David, I actually used lighter fluid on some VERY OLD
Yankee baseball cards that had tape on the cardboard.
It worked like a charm and did not damage the card
at all.
biggrin.gif

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Consider this a public safety measure, even though I'd like to think most members of this forum are smart enough to know better...you never know...
"Lighter fluid will take off that kind of residue, too."
Please don't do this near open flame. Thank you. That is all.
------------------
"This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"
Link Removed

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Guys...did any of you ever to stop to consider this: Maybe Dreamworks owns the company that makes Goo Gone.

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Count me in as one who used lighter fluid today. It works really well to remove the glue but the scrubbing action from the paper-towel leaves tiny little scratches on the plastic that take away the brand-new shine.
The topper? Baskin-Robbins was bought out in my area recently so I can't even get my free cone!
furious.gif

------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

Tom V

Grip
Thanks everyone for your info, You all have me wondering, Does Dreamworks work with Goo Gone -- hmmm who knows :) I actually was able to get most of it off with some Baby Oil, which worked pretty well. Besides the fact that I also used some scotch tape to pull some of the glue off beforehand. I just think that was crazy to put that sticker like that on the case. They should have just included it inside the DVD. Thanks All

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
You think that's bad - i still can't get all that glue off and I won myself a portion of small fries from any participating Burger King in Canada...
That'll do me a world of good in Scotland!!
biggrin.gif

Don

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
It's funny...I used Goo Gone to help remove the glue, and some of the Goo Gone got under the plastic and marred the insert. But then I noticed that they had given me TWO inserts! (Maybe they knew people needed an extra after the butchering the case would take in removing the sticker.)
------------------
Home Theater Pictures

Han

Second Unit
I've already tried Windex and Wallpaper Remover and neither worked. I have some WD-40, but haven't tried that yet. I hope too many different solvents don't end up killing the plastic on the case. I may end up Ogre-Doing it!
laugh.gif
Get it, overdoing it, ogre-doing it... Eh, eh, is this mic on?
crazy.gif

[Edited last by Han on November 05, 2001 at 12:23 PM]

Rob_C

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I lucked up. My card came off without any glue or anything on the box.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Here's another vote for WD40. Saturated a paper towel with WD40, wiped off the case, followed up with Windex to remove the oiliness and odor of the WD40, case looks brand new.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks