How to get 24bit/96KHz digital output from Audiophile 2496 in Win2K?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sihan Goi, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Hi guys,

I have Win2K SP2 and the Audiophile 2496 with the latest drivers released Nov, and I can't seem to get 24bit/96KHz digital output to my prepro. I seem to be stuck at 16bit/48KHz, which defeats the purpose of the Audiophile 2496. I tried this wrapper that I was recommended, but that didn't work either. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Sihan,

Does the card itself upsample? I was under the impression it didn't (most 24/96 cards are 24/96 because they support the ability to pass and record that rate and bitdepth-- not because they can create those rates from thin air).

I am having trouble getting my card to pass digital, at all. But I would assume that if you're getting 16/44.1 from CD- that if you ripped that track to file, used an editor to upsample it to 24/96- that you'd see the card could pass it.

Again- i might very well be confused, but I was never under the impression that the MAudio card's "whole purpose" was making 24/96 audio out of thin air (rather the main appeal for HTPC, as far as I understand, is bit for bit digital transmission of digital audio like DD and DTS-- which would mean 16/48! The main marketing of the card is that it allows you to record from analog sources at 24/96 as well as pass that bit rate to equipment that supports the rate.)

-Vince

3. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Vince, that's a good observation. However, I'm using the MAD Winamp plugin that has an algorithm for upsampling to either 24 or 32bit. I'm choosing the 24 bit option but I can't get that to work since it gives me an error message about it exceeding my hardware capabilities.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Interesting.

Well, if you give me a day or two I can post a 10 second 24 bit 96k wav file and you could try to play that. The problem might be in the winamp plugin.

-Vince

5. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

That'd be great...I'm too lazy to make a 24/96 wav sample even though I have CoolEdit Pro [​IMG]

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

My audio PC is currently "on location" being used in a mixing session for a movie. Will post once it is returned home.
    [​IMG]

7. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

sure thing...let me know when you're ready, you have my address [​IMG]
    thanks!