What's new

How to connect Samsung T.V - Q60T to RX V463 (1 Viewer)

Josh188

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
Hi All,

I have bought a new Samsung T.V - 75" Class Q60T Series LED 4K. I also have a RX V463 receiver and I am trying to connect it to my cable box and gaming console (Wii U).
  • I have connected the HDMI out (page 11 rear panel) to the T.V ARC (for validation purpose I have tried all three HDMI inputs in the T.V and got same results)
  • HDMI IN2 DTV/CBL to my cable box
  • HDMI IN1 DVD to my gaming console

So all works well beside when I am using the T.V directly. For example if I want to view Netflix or YouTube then the sound will come from the T.V rather then the speakers (via receiver)

Appreciate any detailed explanation for how to configured the T.V with the Yamaha RX receiver.

Thank you

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Welcome!

I own older Samsung TV's so these instructions may be a bit different in your case.

• Menu
  • Sound
  • Speaker Settings
  • TV Sound Output ==> Receiver

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Two other things you may need to do ...

On the Receiver Menu
1606098627631.png

Select RX-V463

On the Samsung

It does not appear that your Receiver supports Dolby Digital+ (Or ARC) here is the portion of the TV manual ...
1606099304059.png

With the Expert Settings you should be able to change to bitstream, PCM, or Dolby Digital (NOT Dolby Digital+) ...

Hopefully that helps ...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The receiver doesn’t have ARC, so you have to connect a digital optical cable from the TV to one of the optical inputs on the receiver, then configure it to use that input for TV. No ARC means no ARC. You need the optical cable to get audio from the TV to the receiver.

Josh188

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
Thank you all for your advices. I believe John is correct. It make sense since the T.V didn't even recognize the receiver via settings and also this receiver is quite old.

Josh188

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
Hi,

So I have bought this optical cable. I have connected the cable in the receiver optical DTV/CBL input and updated the T.V sound to optical. This time I notice that I can control the volume of the receiver via the Samsung remote control. Still I am unable to hear the sound from the T.V. Any idea what is the issue ? Thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are some configurations you have to set, some of which you've probably already done. The TV Audio Out (an option in the TV's setup menu) might have a choice between Variable and Fixed, you want fixed. This is because you are controlling the volume with the receiver, not the TV. You'll need to make certain the optical input on the receiver you connected to (there are two) is configured in the input setup to the input you choose when you listen to TV. The DTV/CBL input is digital 2 (optical). I know that probably sounds unnecessary, but those inputs are assignable and might have been changed from their default. Then, when you select the correct input on the receiver, you should get audio from the TV. It can all be very weird and nonsensical until you understand what's going on.

Come back if you have trouble.

Josh188

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
Hi,

I added few pictures of all the connection. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. In picture number 6 (last one) you can see that the “Pass-Through” option is disable and I think that maybe this is the problem.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

What do you think ?

Thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
...yeah...

Try PCM. That's always a good fall-back when there are problems.

According to the prompt, Pass-Through is only for eARC, which you are not using and the receiver doesn't have.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Also, "HDMI" is lit up in the first image. You need to make certain that in the input setup, it is configured so the DTV/CBL input is getting its audio from digital input 2, not hdmi.

Gotluck94

Auditioning
Real Name
Melissa
Hello Everyone!

I am in the same boat as josh188. I have the same tv as him and I am trying to connect my reciever to it (also the same reciever as him)

I have tried to follow the advice above but im still not having any luck. I figure I must have a setting off somewhere.

Can anyone give me a step by step guide on how to hook everything up from scratch? Maybe its better if I just start over from the beginning.

Or @Josh188 maybe can you tell me how you set everything up from beginning to end since we have the same equipment? The only difference is I'm hooking up an Xbox instead of a Wii, but its still being hooked up with an HDMI.

Any help is appreciated! I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this thing out!!

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks