What's new

How old is the Kenwood 504? (1 Viewer)

Wes C

Supporting Actor
After doing about 2 weeks of research, I have decided that the 504 is exactly what I want. However, I probably wont purchase the system until the 1st week of may when I move out of my dorm room. Will Kenwood have already dicontinued the 504 by this point? I want to make sure that I dont buy the system then 1 month later Kenwood releases the latest version of a 504 system. Thanks.

-Wes

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Wes,

I don't know personally- and would assume very few people do. UNlike software, hardware doesn't have a release date and often just shows up on the market.

You might try a search on the model on this forum and see when people started talking about it. That might give you a good idea of how long it's been out. Although, that might not give you any hint as to how long it will be available... some manufacturers come out with new models twice a year- others are selling the same models thay offered in 1998.

And I would also say that if you're using the "is there something newer available or coming" as your gauge for if you should purchase- you're probably in for a wild ride. MOst "new" products are rumored as "coming" a year before they hit- so you might hold off hoping for the more recent version and wait an extra 12 months (ask anyone waiting for the Outlaw Peamp)!

If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about that-- heck if it is "exactly" what you seek- you should root for a new model to come out because you could get the old one cheaper (or even better find it used for 50% of what it cost new!).

I would just keep researching and see what best suits your need when you are ready to go plunk down you cash.

-Vince

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I'll bet with some searching you can still find the HTB-504, try Best Buy, or some online sources. I do not think Kenwood will make us wait too long for the new line-up. I have already heard of specs and reports on the new 6000 series(VR-6070) and I'm hoping that the 600 series (including the HTB-604?) will be out soon.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hi Wes C.

I bought the 504 at circut city for $388 at the end of Dec.There on line price will not reflect their in store specials.I don't think they have CC in Texas though.I wondered the very same thing.I do really like it though.I do see on line dealers for this price with shipping.I guess we know a newer model will come out but when? steve nn

Wes C

Supporting Actor
Steve, do you have any complaints about the 504? I have read hundreds of good reviews but noone has discussed what they dont like, besides the factory cables.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
For the price the 504 is awesome, and down the road you can upgrade your speakers if you like, the VR-507 receiver that comes with it is very nice.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Wes C.
I really do like it Wes.I know there is better but In this price range?It sounds great to me.I am sure you have read many reviews so I will not go on.I did buy a seconed sub to go with it though.I like base.From hanging around this sight I thought it best to have two.I bought the WM-40 12"Sony sub at the same time. $135 from vidio only.Well actually I just bought a third--The velodyne 15".Its a BRUTE so I will be going back to one mmmmmmmaybe keep one of the others?:D :D I'm sorry Wes,This was not your question was it.
Things I don't like about the HTB 504--My wife telling me to turn it down:angry: :angry: If you don't have a understanding about systyms then read the manual two or three times first.Speakers and sub very easy and DVD.The VCR I had a hard time with.I could get sound but no picture.Be sure to turn of the cinama equalizer if you use it befor you switch from VCR on over to DVD if you have both or you will only get stereo.I did buy all new cabels.Too me Wes it just blows away the others in its price range and far above.I really can't think of much bad to say about it.A better sub if you can or two will make things reall fine if you don't live in APT and you like heavy base or should I say LFE affects.Let us know how it goes for you and if I can be any help:emoji_thumbsup: steve nn

Adam Brandner

Stunt Coordinator
Wes, I know for a fact that the HTB-504 came out during the summer of 2001. I know this because I bought my HTB-503 in March or April 2001 just before the new version came out. Is there a 505 on the way? I have no idea. But I am really happy with my 503. I think the only difference between the two is that the 504 has Dolby Pro Logic II, but don't hold me to that. But they look exactly alike and the specs match up. I knew that a new version was coming out when I got mine, but I bought the 503 anyway because it was on clearance. I've heard some people complain about how it's not as good as a high-end system, but for the price, it's unbeatable. It sounds like you're just starting out in the home theater world like I was (am), so this should be a good starter system for you. My advice is to buy decent cables for it, though. The cables that come with it are pretty poor. Also, a lot of people complain about the subwoofer, but (based on advice I found on this messageboard) I bought a big piece of slate to put the sub on, and it sounds a lot better. It also doesn't seem to spread through the house so much now, which is an added bonus. Good luch, and if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them for you.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Who's to say if this is how they'll work things this year, but normally Kenwood releases their new line in May of each year.
The 5xx series released last year in May and the 6xx series should release this May.
Check out www.kenwoodusa.com to see if there's a press release yet.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, Kenwood just came out with the replacement for the HTB-504. The new system is the HTB-544. I called up Crutchfield last Friday, and they had just gotten in a shipment of the new systems. They said that it is the same speakers, but instead of the VR-507 receiver, the HTB-544 comes with the Vr-509 receiver. Crutchfield hasn't even put it up on their website yet as it is so new, but they have it for $499. I bought one, and can't wait to get it.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Actually, Kenwood just came out with the replacement for the HTB-504.
All the more reason to pick one up!:D This great system will now be at a great pricepoint so the stores can make room for the new product.
I will second that the VR-507 manual is the weak link in this setup, but don't let it scare you. Just come here for your questions. (Don't forget the "search" function):)

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
The 544 really isn't the replacement for the 504...it's just taking up the slack until the new models come out.

From what I understand the 507 has been discontinued and they're replacing it with the 509 in the HTB systems.

They'll still release an HTB-6xx when the new line comes out.....they did this same thing last year.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
That's right. I just got the HTB-544 in yesterday and the box is the HTB-504 box, but it has a sticker on it saying that it is the "HTB-544 Upgrade". Regardless, I'm glad I got the upgraded system because the VR-509 does have some better features than the VR-507. I'd really be curious what Kenwood will change in the new model. At this price point, I can't imagine they'd make drastic improvements over the current system.

Wes C

Supporting Actor
Im hopinf the next model of the 504/544 does come out soon so I can get the 504/544 at a reduced rate and put a little more money into my TV. What are the differences of the 507 and 509? I checked the kenwood site but did not notice any changes.

Wes C

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know of an online retailer besides crutchfield selling the 544 upgrade? I would love to have that remote, but it isnt worth 100 bucks to me.

Curtis H.

Auditioning
...the HTB-544 comes with the Vr-509 receiver. Crutchfield hasn't even put it up on their website yet as it is so new, but they have it for $499. I bought one, and can't wait to get it.
First, I would like to say hi to everyone and say that I have found this board to be very helpful, especially for someone as myself who is very close to getting a HT and knows squat regarding these systems. :)
Jeffrey R has provided some great information which I followed up with via email to Crutchfield. This is what they said for others who may be interested...
Hi Curtis,
Thanks for your e-mail, and for shopping the Crutchfield web site.
In answer to your question about the Kenwood HTB-544 system, I have great news! They're in stock at $499.95. The item number is 113HTB544. It should be on our web site shortly, but when you're ready to make a purchase, you can place your order using our Complete Online Order Form
at:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/viewcart.asp
Now I just need to make up my mind! :D

Wes C

Supporting Actor
For anyone who is interested, I found the Kenwood HTB 544 for sale at Link Removed for $399.99.

Curtis H.

Auditioning
That's a nice price though I get real nervous using business's that run small sites like that based out of NYC.

I ran a test purchase and got the following...

Kenwood HTB-504 / HTB-544 Home Theater System 1 399.00

Total Purchases 399.00

Shipping 50.00

Tax 32.92

Total for E-lectronics for less 481.92

To get the same from Crutchfield and to know that you can ship it back free of charge, it will cost you...

Kenwood HTB-544 Home Theater Audio System $499.95

Merchandise Total: $499.95

Standard Shipping Shipping Charge: $13.95

Order Total: $513.90

So, for $31.98, I'll use Crutchfield if I decide on the HTB-544. Of course, that's just me.

---------->>

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks