What's new

How old is the Kenwood 504? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Curtis about being concerned to buy from a random online outfit, but I'm psyched that the HTB-544 is priced online at $399 so I can get the price difference back from American Express. I felt much better ordering from Crutchfield, with the Amex best value guarantee as price protection. At $499, the upgraded system is a great deal--at $399, it's a steal. I set the system up last night and the sound is really great. Haven't utilized all of the features yet, though.

Also, for what it's worth, Crazy Eddie says on their website: "The HTB-504 is being replaced by the HTB-544 this Spring." So, maybe the 544 is the replacement model for the 504, and not just an interim replacement until the new model comes out.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Curtis about being concerned to buy from a random online outfit, but I'm psyched that the HTB-544 is priced online at $399 so I can get the price difference back from American Express. I felt much better ordering from Crutchfield, with the Amex best value guarantee as price protection. At $499, the upgraded system is a great deal--at $399, it's a steal. I set the system up last night and the sound is really great. Haven't utilized all of the features yet, though.

Also, for what it's worth, Crazy Eddie says on their website: "The HTB-504 is being replaced by the HTB-544 this Spring." So, maybe the 544 is the replacement model for the 504, and not just an interim replacement until the new model comes out.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I got the 544 from Crutchfield delivered on Wednesday. It has the RF remote. Since the 544 comes with the VR-509 instead of the VR-507, it has the few upgrades from that model, the RF-LCD remote, Component Video switching, and an Optical out jack. The remote is very cool, but it was too complicated to figure out on the first night. It has an LCD screen, macro programming, and other cool features.

A long story short...

I ordered the HTB-504 from Circuit City earlier this week, after tax price of $513.59. I was told it would be in by Friday. Guess what, it wasn't. After reading the replies above, I called back to check to see if they had it in their warehouse. They said no, would have to turn around and order it from the factory. I told them to cancel my order.

Turned around and called Crutchfield. They had the newer HTB-544 IN STOCK. Ordered it for $513.94 after shipping. Learned something today about questions to ask when ordering.

Thanks for the posts above. You saved me probably weeks of frustration.

Kevin

Curtis H.

Auditioning
That's funny you mentioned that Kevin. CC wanted to order me one, said 7 to 10 days. I said nevermind but even when I visited a CC in another state, same thing. No HTB-504 - no where. Again, I was told they could order one.
That was why I was glad to hear Crutchfield had the HTB-544's IN STOCK as from what I have read, for a newbie such as myself, it's a good deal for the buck and one that should perform well till the upgrade bug hits. I've already planned for a better sub. :D
I'm going to make a final decision very shortly.

Brian_H_I

Auditioning
Van_D, check out my thread See HTB-504 my thread here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=34238 . You can pricematch at Sears.
Someone asked about downsides to the HTB-504:
1) The receiver does not have an on screen display, like basically all your TVs have. You have to read everything off the receiver. If you have a big room, this would not be good.
2) :angry: [rant]Remote[/rant]. I have deep disdain for the universal remote. Ok, I've got DirecTV, and one thing I've grown to hate is the Kenwood universal remote that comes with the 507 receiver. You press the DSS button on top to use the remote to control DirecTV, you press the Receiver button on top to use the remote with VR 507 reciever. Well, Last Channel DirecTV button is also Listen Mode for the reciever, and Guide for DirecTV is Setup for the receiver. Since you'll switch to reciever all the time to control the Volume, if you forget to switch the remote back to DSS, when you mean to hit the DirecTV Guide button (which is used all the time), you'll instead enter the receiver's Setup menu. The Setup menu won't go away (go ahead let it sit there) so I usually end up cycling through the setup options to get rid of it. Hitting last channel is worse still. Last channel DirecTV = change Listen Mode on the reciever. So, all the time I am accidentally switching the Listen Mode from ProLogic II - Movie (my favorite TV setting) to ProLogic II - Music. Well, I haven't figured out how to just go back one listen mode(please let me know if anyone can). So...you guessed it, I cycle through the 20 or so Listen Modes (the most annoying has got to be Stadium) to get back to PL II - Movie.
Please, someone out there tell me I'm not alone is this!
Anyway, buy the new 544 or get the 504 and a better remote.
After 2 months, I'm very happy with the system. We watch a DVD every weekend. Fast and the Furious is my current favorite for best sound.
I'm very happy with the Bass. It's placed in the corner of my average size living room, and sounds great (not SVS great - I'm sure, but I like it).
I bought the HTB-504 because I wanted to buy the cheapest system that I would be happy with without upgrading. Well, it was cheap, $380 at the time, and the system actually sounds way better than I was expecting.
It sounds like a couple of you are interested in adding a sub to the 504 system. If you are planning to upgrade before you even buy the system, you might be better off getting seperate components first. HTB-504 ($400) plus Sony WM40 sub ($140) = $540.
JBL NSP-1s are now $230 at buy.com plus Sony WM40 subwoofer $140 = $370. You're left with $170 to find a used, open box, or refurbished VR - 507 or get a 505 ($160 - etronics.com). Or, pick up the JBLs and a VR 507 now, and add the sub later.
Good luck.

Van_D

Auditioning
thanks for the great info!

this sounds like a dumb question but which page of the online retailer site do i print out to get the price match?

thanks for all the help

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
That is why I have four remotes on the coffee table:thumbsdown: I would rather go this rout than try to remember how each button functions with each individual item.Still I think the 504 is great for the money and I like the size and feel of the remote.The WM-40 is a good idea too.Running both of them would serve you very well with good placement.I have the WM-40 also witch I bought at the same time for $135.Still the Kenwood does fine alone.When I watch a movie with the family I just use it if the bass is to much for them.The DSP settings are a waste to me.Since I have to channel threw the modes they get in the way and the sound using this function is very poor."Just my opinionated opinion". steve nn

Van_D

Auditioning
i was planning on purchasing the HTB-504 at Sears using pricematch. i called their store today and they said they no longer carry it! whats the deal???

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks