What's new

how many of you buy a DVD just to buy it? (1 Viewer)

Julie K

Screenwriter
If I like a film I buy it on DVD. I don't buy for extras, video or sound quality, or for 'reference'. I buy a disc for the movie. Some movies I watch often, some I watch a lot in a short time only to let it lie fallow for long periods later, some I watch very little. It doesn't matter to me - if I like it, I want it in my collection.

I try to rent or otherwise see before I buy, but that's not always possible. I do occasionally buy sight unseen and have gotten some real gems that way. I also get some real dogs that way but I just sell those off so I'm not out too much.

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
I purchase what I enjoy watching. Like some others who have responded before me, some I watch a lot, some a few times and few and far inbetween. Others are a yearly ritual the family gathers to enjoy together.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I haven't rented or been to the movies in almost 8 months, so I only buy trusted favorites or highly recommended titles. So far out of about 25 sight unseen purchases I have only found 1 I didn't really care for, but is still ok to keep in the collection (113).

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
any of you do the DVD Clubs and cancel, then rejoin - to keep costs low? then cancel, and rejoin, etc, etc....
(just to get the 49 cent DVDs?) :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
In the golden days of online DVD deals, I did buy a lot of DVDs simply because they were a deal, thus I loaded up back then, and accumulated almost 200 DVDs in no time flat.

I would like to say I've done a better job of buying what I want to have in the collection, but I do confess to impulse buys now that I'm almost exclusively a retail buyer of DVDs, usually getting them on the week of their release to get the low price on their initial week.

Kirsten

Stunt Coordinator
I swear, my fiance does behind my back. :angry:
Don't you Scott? Yep, that's right, I'm on to you and your casual DVD purchases!!! ;)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Depends on what you mean by "just to buy it."
There are a few turkeys that I've gotten talked into buying because of the buzz on the HTF, and regretted, mostly for state of the art purposes *cough*Lost in Space*cough*The Matrix*cough*The Haunting*cough, but mostly I buy movies that I think I'll be interested in seeing. I see very little in the theaters any more (last weekend a cell phone call in the middle of Harry Potter has pretty much got me to swear off theaters altogether except for a few more excursions to LOTR) so I have to rely on reviews pretty heavily.
I don't watch everything I buy immediately, or even within a year, though. I buy it because many times it may not be available later, or the price will be higher. With the recent round of price reductions at CTS and Paramount that has burned me a little bit, so that may be less of a justification in the future, but I come from a generation without home video, and the thought of owning all these movies and being able to watch them whenever I want just makes me giddy with glee. Yeah, it's neat having a library of film right at your fingertips. I like it. So sue me. ;)

PaulG

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a bunch of Clint Eastwood westerns. I wanted to watch them in order, so I waited until I had them all. I watch one a week, this weekend I am going to watch The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. 2 Mules for Sister Sara isn't on DVD, but I have it on my TiVo, so I will watch that in a couple of weeks. As far as the rest, there are 3 I haven't watched (2 1/2 really, I had to stop watching Gladiator in the middle because of work, but without work, I wouldn't have any DVDs), and the other 2 (Apocalypse Now Redux and Quigley Down Under) I received for Christmas and haven't got to them yet. Oops, add M*A*S*H to that list, I bought it yesterday. Of the 75 or so DVDs I have, I have watched about 1/2 of them more than once.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I've done this only a couple of times, once based on the collectible factor (the Akira tin), and once based on price (Lawrence of Arabia for under $20 new).

I purchased both of these sight unseen, and still haven't watched Lawrence, but I did enjoy Akira quite a bit. As someone stated in another thread, everyone's first Lawrence experience should be on the big screen, so I'm waiting to see if it plays somewhere in the Midwest soon before spinning the disc.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I can't think of any I purchased just for the sake of purchasing it. Usually, I try to only those movies that I love.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks