how many of you buy a DVD just to buy it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Christ, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Todd Christ

Todd Christ Stunt Coordinator

[rant]i see SO many people here just BUYING DVD's because they are for sale - reminds me of my mother, severe spending problem, if something is available she buys it...[/rant]

how many of you buy it and just put it on the shelf....?

2. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I can't buy a dvd until I've seen it ,and then only if I like it.

3. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I collect only certain films and I can only think of one film that I have purchased sight unseen: Fight Club. It was a gamble that payed off.

I am very picky when it comes to the discs I purchase. So, NO, I don't just buy it to put it on a shelf. I make every effort to watch my discs, though I am somewhat behind.

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

The last dvd I bought just to have was Shrek. Wal-Mart had it on sale. Knew I should have rented it. Not a bad movie, just over-rated...

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have 57 DVD's in my collection and have been collecting since June 1997. I am careful what I buy.

6. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

I only buy DVD's that I will watch repeatedly (once a year?). There are many good films I simply don't have a desire to see that often. Therefore, I will not purchase them just for the sake of owning a good movie.

7. Al Glasser

Al Glasser Auditioning

Ok, I'll be the first to confess. I have bought quite a few DVD's that I haven't even watched yet. I usually use several reviewers to see if it a movie I want in my collection (170). I watch them as time permits. I admit that I have bought a few that I found I did not like later.
    I guess its a collection thing. Can't explain.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Altho. I think that number is only a few.

8. Todd Christ

where are you guys with the "BIG" numbers? [​IMG]
    it's like owning a library of books i guess, you have the posessions but just can't get around to enjoying it all, and once you've enjoyed them all - how many will you watch (read) over and over and over????
    I've seen that most folks watch a handful of movies repeatedly (usually in cycles, rotating favorites)... just trying to figure out the craze [​IMG]

9. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

I've been collecting since 1998, and I used to buy movies simply because they were inexpensive - sometimes even if I had never seen them before. But I've "filtered" down my collection and got rid of about 2/3 of the DVDs I owned because I knew I would never watch some of those movies again. I now limit myself to purchasing 20-30 DVDs per year.

10. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I call my collection "The Archive". I talk movies alot and it's nice to have an example of what I am talking about.
    For example:
    If someone is talking about film noir I can easily pull The Third Man, Double Indemnity, or The Stranger and actually show them examples of what I am talking about.
    If someone wanted to see the incredible tracking shot or sound design from The Lady From Shanghai I can pull the LD to show them the studio version and then show them the DVD and they can hear the difference themselves.
    I have NEVER bought a disc just because of the DTS soundtrack or cool extras, the film must belong in my collection.
    There are lots of reasons for me to justify my "Archive".

11. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I like to buy DVDs that I think will A) be watched repeatedly B) be reference type disc and C) will not be available. Only on movies I enjoyed for C.

12. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I buy my DVD's based on my interests and what movies I like (or the genres)

Of all my DVD's, there's only 2 I haven't watched all the way through. They're both gifts...

17 of my DVD's are movies I have seen before or owned on VHS. The rest are films I feel are important for me to have because they're great movies.

For example, I bought Arsenic and Old Lace because I heard it was really funny and was also on the AFI Top 100 Comedies list. I bought Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs because I'm an animation fan and would love to see the one that started it all.

I'm very rarely disappointed about my purchases. If I don't feel like I'll watch it again, I won't buy it. I'll upgrade a movie from VHS to DVD pretty much only depending if I liked the movie and finding a good price.

13. RolandTGS

RolandTGS Auditioning

Ok, My name is Roland and I have a problem...

I have bought 7 DVD's since Xmas mainly because of the price.

Grinch - 11.99 (Canadian prices).. I have never seen it.

Jurassic Park 3 17.99

Apocalypse Now Redux 18.99 Never seen this version.

I have made this mistake in the past. I bought End of Days, sight unseen. (you think I would have learned)

14. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

Count me in as another buyer of End of Days. The sad thing was that I saw it in the theater and decided that it didn't have a high rewatchability factor but still bought it anyway when I found it for a steal of a price.
    Of my 200 (as of today) titles there are only 12 that I doubt I'll ever watch again. I try not to buy a title strictly because it's a bargain but if I think I may enjoy it I will. I can always trade it or sell it here and my loss is typically the cost of a rental anyway. In fact, I've done that 16 times according to feedback on the Good Traders list.

15. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Not surprising with a last name like Christ that you'd want us to confess our little idiosyncracies.

16. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

In the olden days Ièd buy what I thought I would watch again .. WHOOPS!

Now I only pick up 1 movie ever coupe weeks

Brent

17. Todd Christ

18. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

The closest to what you're looking for that I've done is buying sight unseen, which has been a general failure for me. Not so much that the films turned out bad, just that I couldn't justify keeping them. There are only a few exceptions to this, but they are movies I encountered on cable later anyway, so I would have found them eventually. I think I've sworn off of buying sight unseen for now.

My DVD list is 220 strong, with 12 tradeable titles.

19. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    A good majority of the movies in my collection (39 DVDs since X-MAS 2000) most of my movies have been bought sight unseen because they were movies that I though would interest me and so far all of my choices have been good.

20. Duane_T

Duane_T Stunt Coordinator

Most of the time I will buy a movie if I know that I will watch it at least 4 or 5 times. Then it pays for itself. There are quite a few movies I go back to.

Once in a while I like to surprise myself though and buy something that I think will be good. So far I'm at 100% with these buys, eg. Fight Club and Snatch. I'm sure I'll buy some crap this way sometime, but I don't buy this way all that often so it doesn't matter.