What's new

How low does bass go? (1 Viewer)

RyanJE

Second Unit
Just curious how low does most bass go in movies? IM not including the LFE channel just the actual bass in the movie.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen a chart that measured anything under 10Hz, and there are a few DVDs that go lower than that on the mains.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yeap there are a few movies that dip into single digits, but it would be inaudiable, and beyond the reach of 99.9% subs out there.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
More like 99.99999% ;)

I think most people fail to realize what 20 Hz. sounds like. Run a 80 Hz. test tone and it sound like most people picture 40 Hz. sounding.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Are you guys talking about the bass frequencies or the LFE freq. IM not concerned with the LFE track in a movie Im talkin about JUST the bass freq.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Most movies don't have material below 40Hz. Action/Horror/Sci-Fi tend to get to 20Hz (sometimes lower) on the front mains. A few movies (say, DareDevil's DTS or Predators region 3 DVD) will have main-channel material down to below 16Hz. (but not very much).

Very few receivers wil even replay such tones even if speakers are set to 'Large'

Then there are electronic/techno music CDs which get to the single digits all the time.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

Could you give me some examples? Many of my CD's (same gerne) have some nice bass, but most of it seems to be 'music' bass as in, 30, 40, 50 Hz.

KeithMoechnig

Stunt Coordinator
The lowest I've heard of(on the internet) was around 10 Hz, but like said, most subs won't reach near it. The lowest driver I've heard of is Adire Audio's Maelstrom or Tumult subwoofers.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Ryan, don't know what you're trying to get at with this question, but theoretically, speakers can be sent bass in the low single digits on a DD or DTS track. Most of the low low bass is carried on the LFE channel, but there are some movies where there is low low bass in the front three speakers as well.

Put a few Avalanche 18's in an IB and you will get good response down to 10hz.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Well I was wondering because I read somewhere that if you can run your speakers at large because most movies dont have Bass that goes that low, since the LFE is sent to the sub. It said to do this in order to keep from muddying the bass in the sub with a mixture of bass and LFE. However the article didnt say exactly how low "bass" goes.

So I was Just pondering.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Both. Deep bass tracks can be mixed to either or both channels, or even center or surround channels.It's entirelly up to the movie makers.There is plenty of bass in the main channels that can overload speakers even those that claims flat low frequency reproduction say below 30hz. However it also depends how loud you tend to listen to movies.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Ryan, I used to wonder about the same thing - I was once considering using two subs, one dedicated for LFE and one dedicated for the redirected bass from the 5 or 7 other speakers. In fact, one of my first posts on this forum was related to this.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=176547

Man, I have learned a lot about home theater since then, and I owe a lot to the helpful members on this forum. Going with a sub (or two) that will reproduce the LFE AND redirected bass is the best option. Too many cancellation issues with one sub doing each or the sub doing the LFE only and the mains going full range. If you have capable mains that can reach really low though, try setting the crossover at 60hz and see if you prefer that to 80hz.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Garrett:

Thanks for the info, any particular track on a particular CD you would reccomend - for ultra low (or just good) bass?

Thanks!

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Garrett:

I hate you now - I just spent 17 British Pounds on Delicate Membrane from Amazon.co.uk because they are the only place that has it.

The used CD is going for a HELL of a lot of money (over $100 Canadian, and 60 Pounds other places!!!), but this one was from a seller I have used before and been happy with.

Jordan_Brulotte

Stunt Coordinator
The deepest song I can think of is "the real song for the deaf" on Queens of the Stones Age's Songs for the deaf LP.

I did a waterfall chart on it after my tempest excursion went crazy. VERY strong bass at 9hz... :)

HERE

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
You can check it out on Amazon.

Reminds me of old school Autechre meets 1960's trippy experimental acid rock.

I am a total freak when it comes to music :D

JORDAN:

9 Hz.? Wow... I didn't even know you could put 9 Hz. on a CD!

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I'm no engineer, but just off the top, there probably is no lower limit to what can be recorded to CD. On the other hand, because of the brick wall filter tied to the 44K sampling rate of red book CDs, the upper limit is 22KHz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks