What's new

How loud are SVS Ultras? (1 Viewer)

spiroH

Agent
I just purchased a CS-Ultra and have a Crown 402 amplifier giving it about 400w and although the bass blends well with my music and movies this thing is not loud at all. Am I underpowering this thing? How many watts do I need?

WayneO

Supporting Actor
How big a space is it in? Have you tried different placement options? Done any cabibration? Frequency response charting? With a lot more details about your setup, you'll be easier to help out.

spiroH

Agent
My room is 14x21x8 feet. I dont have a SPL meter. I tried the autoeq feature on my HK receiver and also have it set as normal. Pretty much no difference.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Spiro,

This may be an instance were the HT processor isn't sending enough voltage to the "pro" style amplifier to push the amp properly.

1)check to be sure all speakers are set to small in your speaker setup menu
2)set all gain controls on the amp to full throttle(max).

Tom V.
SVS

spiroH

Agent
I have all my speakers set to small. Gains are at max. I also put the gain for my sub at +10. Sounds better but it is still missing that impact.

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
I drove two 20-39cs plus's for a while with the crown xls402 ..and I didnt have any voltage problems driving the subs to very loud levels fromthe outs of a Pioneer mid level reciever..At the same time I always felt the xls402 wasnt quite up to the job..and after switching amps this was confirmed..But it sounds to me like you have phase issues or something else going on other then the amp.

Have you had any other subs in this particular room as to compare to the svs/xls402 ? and if so what was it and how did it do, also what were you driving it with ..

spiroH

Agent
John,

What amp did you move over to?

Both my CD Player and DVD players use an optical connection and set to 44khz. I cant use PCM with subs? I have an old klh subwoofer I will try and connect shortly to see if there is any difference.
What I did notice last night was that in my room where the sub is located in the upper left-hand corner it does not seem to be too loud but if I go upstairs or to a different room I can feel bass throughout the entire house.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Placement, placement, placement, is the key, once you get all the other stuff sorted out.

spiroH

Agent
Damn, this sub has impact. I'm going to start trying to place the sub around the room to get more sound next to me, but my whole damn house is shaking. Good stuff. I'll give you guys an update.

spiroH

Agent
I wish I can tell you :) I reset my receiver and from there started watching matrix rev and it just sounded really damn good. I love the way this sub blends in with movies and music. I'm really impressed.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Not loud but the whole house is shaking?

I'd schedule an appointment to have your hearing checked, you may be losing your hearing in the lower frequencies.

spiroH

Agent
That's nonsense. I have no problems hearing my car system or my other room. It's probably because the carpet is absorbing the bass.

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
I'm afraid carpets don't absorb any bass worth noticing.
High frequencies yes. But not sub-level bass.

I think this is a classic case of the Ultra output being very clean compared with the bass you are used to.

The acoustic energy is all there but you aren't getting the higher harmonics (distortion) typical of many subs. So it's not as audible as you think it should be.

Careful placement in the room is essential.

Use an SPL meter to find your sub's best position and get it calibrated properly with your speakers from your seating position. It does make a difference and it is difficult to do properly by ear. :)

Regards
ChrisBee

Eric C D

Second Unit

I'm NOT trying to put you on the defensive, but are you one who has subs in your car that completely pressurize it? If so, the response from this sub will be different (and run significantly into lower frequencies). Run a frequency sweep on the Ultra and also in your car and measure the diff. Having the Ultra for a while will probably change your tastes concerning the car stereo.

enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks