What's new

How is Sony DVP-S9000ES as a CD source? (1 Viewer)

Ed Teng

Grip
I have an opportunity to buy the Sony DVP-S9000ES at a bargain because it is now no longer in production and my dealer is willing to let it go at cost price.

I've been toying with the idea to get a top grade CD player for my music and when I heard about this great deal, I was wondering if I could kill "3 birds (CD, DVD, SACD) with 1 stone".

I have read many rave reviews of this player as an excellent DVD and SACD source (TAS, TPV, S&V, etc). But how does it fare as a CD source compared with audiophile quality CD-only players? Is the difference quite close or the latter players are in a different league?

Another question: with blue laser CD/DVD player(s) starting mass production soon, does anyone has any idea how many years before the current CD/DVD players become obsolete?

Thanks in advance.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
It's an above average redbook player but certainly not stellar. It won't play CD-R, CD-RW, or MP3. It's stereo (only) SACD playback is outstanding. Once you get a taste of SACD you may be less concerned about CD? Owning the 9000ES did just that to me. I've had one for close to 3 years. I buy a few CD's but mostly SACD's. I'm losing intrest in the CD format, myself. You ought to seriously consider the 9000. How much is you dealer asking, $500 or less? Best wishes!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ed, Rachael makes excellent points. The 'S9000ES is a good CD player, but not a world beater. When it retailed for $1500, comparably priced CD-only players would easily beat it, in my opinion. Still, the 'S9000ES is great with stereo SACD, and CD replay is above average.

Rachael asks a very good question. How much is the dealer asking for the 'S9000ES?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ed, is $750 for a new unit in a sealed box or for a demo unit. If it's the latter, I would pass. $750 for a brand new unit in a sealed box isn't bad.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Donnie, that's a fair point. While the 'NS999ES isn't built to the same standard as the 'S9000ES, the 'NS999ES is said to offer better video quality. Of course, the 'NS999ES offers multi-channel SACD playback as well. I don't know how the two players compare with CDs and stereo SACDs, however.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Ed, I tend to aggree with Donnie. $750 was proably his cost when the player sold for $1500, but the MSRP went down later, plus it's used quite a bit by now, surely. I would offer $500 and walk if the offer is rejected. I don't know what Oade Brothers has the 999ES for but it's proably not hugely more than $750. Later ths year or next year I'm going to buy another player. The 999ES or one of the growing legion of universal players are my prime candidates. It's crossed my mind to sell my 9000ES so I could make a move sooner. I've figured that the 9000ES was worth 4-$600 on the used market. I don't see why you should pay more than that. I do think the 9000ES is the best all-round DVD player I've owned so far, and I've been through atleast a dozen so far! Best wishes!

Ed Teng

Grip
$750 is for a brand new set. Read reviews that the NS999 isn't as good and well built as the S9000.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Ed, the 999ES isn't as heavy as the 9000ES but that may or may not be a big deal. I have not seen the 999ES in the flesh yet because there is no longer a Sony ES dealer locally. I've heard so many varying things about the 999ES that I don't know what to believe. If I was really in the market for one I'd drive over to Nashville and look-see.

If you want to get better audio than the 9000ES and give up DVD playback and also get multi-channel output you could search out a 555ES 5 disc changer. They're getting hard to find. Or, if you could ante up more $ you could get the XA777ES. IMO, the 555ES is a little better audio player than the 9000ES and XA777ES is da bomb. The 555ES is an absolute value leader! :emoji_thumbsup: I don't read Stereophile but I know they love the 555 and 777 and so do I.

If I could find a 555 I would buy it over the the 9000ES if DVD playback wasn't a consideration. The 777 will make the most of both CD and SACD. Is that what you really want? You should! Are these other players a possibility? Best wishes from an SACD fiend!

Ed Teng

Grip
Hi Rachael, Keith, Donnie:

Thanks for your inputs.

My CD player just broke down last night and I have been trying to find a good reason (for my wife) to replace my DVD player (it came free with my credit card application over a year ago) with something better (component video and progressive scan).

I have now narrowed my choices to these few:
1. Sony XA777ES Multichannel-SACD/CD at $2100.
2. Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD/SACD/CD at $750.
3. Arcam CD23T CD-only player at $1400.

Personally, I am not so keen on multichannel SACD.
But I am tempted to go with S9000 because I get respectable CD playback, great SACD audio, and excellent DVD video. Seriously considering whether I should pay so much more for the XA777ES to get better CD/SACD sound!!! How much better? Haven't done side-by-side comparison of S9000 vs XA777!!!

Heard the Arcam - it sounds so good. But if the XA777 sounds better than or equal to the Arcam, and I get SACD sound for $700 more, then that's also worth considering.

I feel I'm in a dilemma.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ed, demo the 'XA777ES before buying the Arcam player. The 'XA777ES is an excellent CD player, plus you get SACD. Also, I read recently on Audio Asylum that Arcam will be replacing the FMJ CD23T with the FMJ CD33T later this year. Of course, Arcam is saying it will be better than the CD23T. Supposedly, the new player will upsample.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Ed, I'd lean to the Sony XA777ES. I've never heard the Arcam but I wouldn't want to be locked out of playing SACD's. The 9000ES got me hooked on SACD. I'd take it over the Arcam just to play SACD's. You will quickly come to prefer SACD most, especially if you have revealing equipment. I don't know how far the format will go, but as long as they're sold I'll buy them. I think the 777 gives you as much as you need be concerned about, in so far as CD playback goes. SACD sound should have you watching the release lists closely. I think I'd take either Sony over the Arcam for SACD. Can you find or want the 555 changer? It's the middle ground between the 9000 and 777. You'd get better CD sound than the 9000 too. Any reason it's not on the short list? Best wishes! :)

Ed Teng

Grip
Hi Rachael and Keith:

Since there's a price difference of $1350 between the 9000 and 777, I was thinking to get a good DAC to go with the 9000. That way, I can have good sound that match the 777 and have DVD playback as well.

What do you think of this approach?
Any good DAC to recommend for $1000 and below?

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Ed that is an excellent price for the Arcam, I thought the retail price for it is around $2000?

I would still go for the Sony though, mainly because sound quality is roughly on a similar level to the Arcam (give or take) and you get SACD as a bonus.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Ed, for a 1K dac I would recommend the Musical Fidelity A3.24 dac... still not sure it would match the 777 in redbook though, it is reputed to be a mighty fine player. A dac also won't give you better SACD playback.

Cheers,
Mike

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ed, pairing the 'S9000ES with a good DAC is an option. As Mike said, the Musical Fidelity A324 at $1200 retail is worth considering. I believe Bel Canto has a quality DAC around that price range as well. There are always the MSB and Perpetual Technologies DACs to consider as well. For a bit more money, the Perpetual Technology DAC can be modified without voiding the warranty. I forgot who is doing those mods., but they supposedly improve the performance.

I still would go with the 'XA777ES. It is an outstanding performer. There is no video section that might compromise performance, and it is built very well (35 lbs.).

Ed Teng

Grip
Hi

It's me again.
I have added Marantz SA-14 Ver 2 to my list.
Now it's down to XA-777 vs SA-14.
Has anyone done a comparison of these two?

BeatCrazy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
Can you listen to both in the same system? My vote goes for the XA777ES (even though I haven't heard the Marantz). The build quality and DAC architecture of the XA777ES are world-class. Mine sounds like heaven ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks