What's new

How is Castle Wolfenstein? It's $30 at Circuit City. (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
It's a good game, but a bit of a pig, so make sure you have a nice fast CPU. I'm running it on a p3-450 with 384 ram and keep getting slowdowns that aren't directly related to the graphics settings. Tried turning detail down and it still happened, so it's something else entirely. The single player isn't quite as much as I'd hoped, but you do get to kill nazis, and that's always a good thing.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Well for $30 it's worth it. I don't personally think it's worth the $50 I paid for it.
Single player is pretty blah. I finished it on medium difficulty, and wish I would have went with hard. there is just something about single player that dosen't scream greatness at you. Some levels would be awesome, and then you get to the next one and it's boring as hell. Just really uneven.
I don't think much of the multiplayer either. What's there is great, but there is so little of it. And they don't offer deathmatch??? or bot support. And as of now they haven't released the development tools to the community so there isn't anything I know of happening on the mod front.
I was just looking forward to so much more. And I cna't believe there is no freaking deathmatch! :angry:

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with John. I'm surprised at the good reviews this game continues to get, because it's just not that great. Single player is pretty dull and although it's polished, it lacks that spark that keeps you wanting to play.

And multiplayer Wolf has just been dropped at our office in favour of Weapons Factory, for the daily lunchtime deathmatch. It lasted just over a week. Counterstrike lasted about 6 months, in comparison.

If you want a good FPS on the PC right now, I'd recommend Clive Barker's Undying if you haven't played it yet. No multiplayer though. Counterstrike is still MP king IMHO.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
The SP game would have been MUCH better had there been more stealth based missions. There were a few, and using silenced pistols, that silenced sniper rifle, and the knife was a lot of fun. Too bad more of the missions weren't like that.

Jake Gove

Second Unit
I just bought it at Best Buy the other day. If I bring in the Circuit City ad, does Best Buy price match after the purchase has been already made?

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
I picked it up when it came out a couple weeks back. After playing the multiplayer for awhile, I ended up putting Tribes 2 back into my system. I find myself really enjoying the multiplayer team combat in that a lot more, especially since it seems to handle a larger number of people. A game of 64 people in T2 has nowhere near the same level of slowdown as RTCW with the same amount.

I'm also not happy with how quickly you can get killed in it. While it may be more realistic, it sucks to be playing a 10 minute long session and spend 30 seconds waiting to spawn, run down an alleyway for another 15 seconds to get to where the fighting is, only to get killed within 2 seconds and then back into the spawning queue again. And to have that happen repeatedly.

A good part of it is that the game doesn't really emphasize real teamwork or anything. But it can't since you get nailed so fast. I've played more and more recently as they're getting things worked out and more players are coming on, but it doesn't seem to improve that much.

And there are just way too many whiny ass brat teamkillers playing MP in there too. Nothing like spawning with a group after waiting 30 seconds to have some punk ass kid toast you with their flamethrower and go right back into a 30+ second wait queue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks