How far away from the wall should the port on a sub be?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Matt_Smi, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

After just reading another post about someone saying that having the port of their sub too close to a wall made it sound worse. I realized that my port of my Sony SA-WM40 is about 5” away from the wall. Maybe this makes it sound boomier? When I go home this weekend (at college now) I will pull it away from the wall and see if it makes a difference in sound (doubt it will). The main reason I ask this is because I plan of purchasing a HSU STF-2 soon. And I will be going in the same place where my Sony currently is, so the port on it will be pretty close to the wall. And I don’t want this to make the sub sound worse. If I have too I could pull it out from the wall, but it would stick out and look funny. Anyway does this make a difference? And is there a minimum distance that the port should be from the wall? Or does it vary from manufacturer to manufacturer?

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

a few inches is usually ok as minimum, but placing the sub properly will have a *HUGE* impact on the SQ you get from it. OFten a corner is a good place to start, the corner helps reinforce things, but the best thing to do is move it around to lots of places and see where it sounds best, and/or put it in your listening position, then crawl around and see where it sounds best, then put it there.

3. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

I'd say 3" is safe to gaurantee the air can get out without any added resistance. My SVS PB2+ was fine when I had it that far away.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    VTF-2 manual states minimum of 2", STF-2 will be the same, OR, simply don't point the port at the wall.

5. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

Ok sounds like I will be fine then, I won't worry about it, Thanks.