What's new

How Far Apart to Place Speakers With This Setup? (1 Viewer)

Brent_N

Stunt Coordinator
Ted,

Yes, that is exactly what I am thinking - surrounds pointing upwards from behind the couch (see my last reply). So my question is, what is the best way to do this with a rear ported speaker (like a Titan)?

Certainly I don't want to just lay it on its back, blocking the opening. Is there a special speaker stand that would support the speaker in this configuration, but be open enough not to block the port.

Thanks

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
doh! sorry i missed your reply brent!

i actually used to own this thing-a-ma-jig. imagine a very small stand (like something you'd put your tower pc on) all made of thick wire "mesh".

i imagine that would work? it should support the speaker while providing open "airflow" to the back since it's made of mesh.

unfortunately a friend gave it to me so i have no idea where to get one...

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Any thoughts on this?
I think you cannot determine final placement via theory alone. In other words, you're gonna have to try it out, make adjustments, listen, rearrange, listen again, make further adjustments...

I'm constantly fiddling with speaker placement, and what I've found is that even tiny increments make large differences. Before you determine that final position, you simply must experiment and live with them for awhile. Nothing that anyone tells you here can replace that real-world experience. We can only suggest various options that can only serve as starting points.

I've never experimented with the ceiling-facing rear speakers, but it might prove a good option for you. Especially since you're going with monopole speakers, this orientation might provide a wider dispersion and greater sense of space as compared to monopole speakers firing directly at the listening position (or, as I prefer, just barely behind it). I, too, prefer monopole rear speakers after many years with dipole rears, but I've got them up on 40" stands, well above ear level and roughly three feet behind the main listening position (and aimed just barely behind the listening position). This is a compromise position that's a tad lower than Dolby recommends for movie tracks, and a tad higher than is recommended for SACD/DVD-A music sources.

But you gotta experiment!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
But you gotta experiment!
put it this way.
i'm going to test with my new speaker position two ways. with the tweeter oriented on the outside (away from the couch) and with the tweeter oriented on the inside (closer to the couch).
both times recalibrating with my spl of course.
i tell ya...this hobby is gonna kill me. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks