How far apart for front speakers 5.1 setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian_Tho, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Brian_Tho

Brian_Tho Stunt Coordinator

I have recently aquired some new front speakers. They match my existing setup. My question is regarding the distance apart they should be mounted. If I sit 8ft from the TV how far apart should they be? 4ft from the center channel on either side? Any comments welcome

2. Brian_Tho

Brian_Tho Stunt Coordinator

Anyone?

3. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

I'm guessing that the general answer is that you can have them as far apart as you want, as long as you don't create a sound "hole" between the mains and the center. I read this in an earlier post a few weeks back. Some more experienced users can chime in and be more specific.

4. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

FYI: The following is from The Dolby Guide to Home Theater Sound website ...

5. Rick J

Rick J Stunt Coordinator

6. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

In my experience, I feel placing the mains in an equilateral triangle configuration puts them too far apart. Even with toe-in, I have a hard time putting vocals in the center. I don't like the sound of one singer coming from all over the soundstage.

That said....I'd start with 2/3 of the distance to you apart. Experiment. There's no right/wrong answer. Some prefer a really wide soundstage to envelope them at the expense of accurate imaging. Others like me, prefer a narrower setup. On some recordings, you'll swear the singer was right in front of you.