What's new

How does this Sub compare? (1 Viewer)

Fred G

Agent
I'm currently using a Magnavox HTIAB sub with an Onkyo receiver. Soon my Fluance speakers will be arriving and I was thinking of getting another sub to go with the Fluance speakers. But I don't know if I will get better performance by getting another sub, or if I should just stick with the HTIAB sub. This sub certainly gets loud enough and actually I have it set to -4 because I don't want to disturb the neighbors in my apartment.

Admittedly I don't know how to interpret these specs so I don't know how this sub compares to others in the same price range.

Sub specs according to manufacturer:

Subwoofer ……………………………. 6.5"
Output power ……………………..…. 75W (4 Ohm, DIN)
THD …………………………………..10% at 80 Hz
Reproduction frequency response …….30 Hz - 180Hz
Phase switch …………………………..0°degrees, 180°
Input sensitivity (Subwoofer In) ……….200mVrms
Power consumption ……………………53W (at 1/8 rated power)
Weight …………………………………17.2 pounds

If I was to replace this sub I'd be betting one of the $150 subs available.

Dayton 10"
VELODYNE ACOUSTICS VX10 (jandr.com)
Sony 8" sub (bestbuy.com)

My most likely choice would be the Sony because of the price. How would the Sony compare to the other two. Would the _quality_ of the bass be very much different than the Velodyne and the Dayton? "Quantity" of bass is certainly something I don’t want nor do I need, but if the quality will be better I may consider not getting the Sony.

So is it worthing getting a new sub, or will the Magnavox be just as good for my purposes (playback at mostly low to moderate volumes)?

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
If your sub is giving you all the bass you need, then don't bother. You are listening to 40Hz with authority, lower than that a 6.5 wont have "punch".

Regarding quality I think the Dayton or the Velodyne would be your best bets.

What you need to do is to audition some big subs with recordings having lots of content on the 30Hz range. If you still can live without that then don't feel pressed to change your sub.

Fred G

Agent
Thanks for the response.

>Regarding quality I think the Dayton or the Velodyne would be your best bets

By this, do you mean the Dayton and Veldoyne subs would provide "cleaner" bass than the Sony? Is there anything in the specs that determine this, or can this only been found out by auditioning?

I guess what I'm most worried about is tightness and bass accuracy. If one of the other subs will provide better tightness (I think one post on the forum describes it as "fast bass") then I would consider getting one of the other subs. Though, my sub certainly does not sound muddy - but I don't have a strong reference point and it may in fact sound muddy after I hear sub that costs 10x as much.

However the most important thing is that, IF there are differences between these subs, that the difference will be noticeable at low to moderate volumes, as neither sub I get will be "pushed to it's limits" by any stretch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks