What's new

How does these things get made? (1 Viewer)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Disparage it if you will--I most certainly did--but Kangaroo Jack is the number one movie in America. Money talks and you know the rest.

How do these things get made? If enough people go or are thought will go, the movies will get made.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
You guys act like greed in hollywood and horrible movies are something new.
Exactly... U.S. pride war movies are hardly anything new. We have them through the World Wars. And anti-war war films during Vietnam to reflect the different sentiment of the time. Hollywood goes where the buck is... we as an audience can only hope the quality and the common dollar overlap more often than not.

ChrisWL

Auditioning
I hope its safe to say that the majority of the movie going public are not as obsessed with films as us people here on the Forum and will go see anything that has a cool 2 minute preview with a neato explosion on it. However I am happy that movies have not slipped into the horrid state that music and tv (reality tv) are in right now.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Jerry Bruckheimer Should drop Kangaroo Jack from his resume in the future, Why would a guy do this flick anyway
1 - To make money - which it probably will

2 - To (GASP!) entertain children and families not looking for (GASP!) the next 2001.

--
Holadem

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
the "number one movie in america" tag doesn't mean anything. just about all movies (when they first come out) can claim that tag - for that weekend. the next weekend it's at number 7.

believe me, i completely agree with you guys. i can't begin to fathom how some movies get greenlighted. i see so much crap that it becomes painful to watch previews. but, it's different strokes for different folks. not to sound snobbish, but i suspect most of us here have higher standards than the regular movie-going crowd.

take my girlfriend (please :) ). she loves all the kind of movies that i can't stand. for heaven's sake, she wants to see "just married"! :eek: so, that puts things into perspective for me. just because a movie appears stupid to me, there's going to be someone who will think otherwise. the studios know this.

most studios put out these kind of "filler" movies to hedge their bets against the blockbuster releases anyway. they know it's not going to set records, but it'll make enough money to keep the studio afloat.

finally, can you imagine george lucas' pitch for star wars? who the heck would have grenlighted that? ;)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i mean any movie that qualifies as number one can claim that tag for that weekend.

the point is, it may be number one, but only for one week. then it sinks like a rock.

:D

MarcinL

Stunt Coordinator
You can not judge a movie by First week opening, No Way.
You judge a movie by their second weekend and third, thats where the word of mouth spreads, Hey go see this movie its harious and so on and so on. First weekend people don't know what to expect, who know maybe all of them said Kangarro Sucks and next week it will only make a $1 dollars. You judge a movies by second weekend and so on. You know which movie did great in that retrospective. TITANIC, it made $29 Million dollars First Week, 60 Million dollars next week, close to 69 Million in the third week, 40 million in the fourth week 32 Million in the 5th week, than back to 34 million in the 6th week, than down to 31 million in the 7th week, than again up to 39 Million in the 8th week, Finally it dipped below 25 Million in 9th week, 24 million in 10th week, 23 million in 11th week, 22 million in 12th week, 23 million in 13th week, 21 million in 15th week, 15 million in 16th week and 12 million in 17th week, 8 million in 18th week, 5 million in 19th week and 4.7 Million in 20th week, Thats right gentleman any movie that can hold 5 million dollars after 5 months in theaters, That is a great movie, great advertsising promo, and great word of mouth.

Any bad movie can make 25 - 30 Million dollars, if the advertsisng is great, but after second week if its dipped more than 50% its not a great movie after all

Look at Crossroads with britney spears

Number 1 movie at box office with 17M dollars first week
second week it made 4.2 and third week 1.3M that is a bad movie. people went to see it first week but after that they told everyone it sucked

ALL STATS ARE AT IMDB.COM

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Being "the number one movie in America", though, allows the studio to perpetuate the illusion of popularity or quality. For those who know how the system works, tops at the box office often is meaningless, but for those who aren't as well versed at the intricacies of B.O. reporting, hearing that something is number one carries a certain cachet.

Any bad movie can make 25 - 30 Million dollars, if the advertsisng is great
Timing is often just as, if not more, important than advertising. Just Married was the first "teen" film in awhile. (Too bad for A Guy Thing, which was a week too late.) Kangaroo Jack was the first new kids-oriented film in awhile. National Security was the first adult-oriented action comedy in weeks. None are any good, but there are markets for the films. All have stepped in during a dry spell and drawn moviegoers.

Also, in the case of Crossroads, I suspect anyone who had the slightest interest in seeing it went the first weekend. Word of mouth was likely not good, but the intended crowd came out the first weekend, which is when studio's get the biggest cut of receipts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks