What's new

How do you set up your TV audio? (1 Viewer)

I recently purchased my first home theater system - Marantz 5200 w/ Paradigm Titans in front, Atoms in rear, CC-170 and PDR-10. Now that I've got my 5200 working well (that's a whole 'nother issue), I'm focusing on listening to the great sound.

One thing I am curious about is how people set up their systems to listen to normal cable(AT&T) tv. My current TV is just a 27" Zenith. I have the variable audio output going to the Marantz. I have several options for configuring the sound - use 2ch stereo, 6ch stereo, DPLII(movie) or Dolby Pro Logic.

Last night while watching CSI in DPLII, I was pretty impressed. It all sounded good. However, some channels just sound plain crappy in DPLII. Especially if they are older shows or news type channels.

What do most of you do? Do you change the settings based on what channel you're watching? Kind of a pain when flipping channels.

Thanks for any input.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I usually leave my receiver in stereo mode for the TV I watch on CATV. Most of the programs I watch (sports, news) do not sound good in Pro Logic. For HDTV broadcasts, I leave my Sony 50ES in Auto Format Decode mode, and it will play in either DD2.0 or DD5.1, depending on the broadcast.

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
Cris,

In my area the, many commericals are multi-channel and

the programs are not. Therefore, I find the 'all channel

stereo' mode less annoying.

JRS

David Biggs

Agent
So far with my 4200, DPLII sounds very good with just about any Stereo source. I mostly use a Direct TV reciever(stereo output only) and a Digital Cable reciever(Scientific Atlantic). I agree that older programing is not great but it's gonna sound lousy no matter what you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryH12
Recent bookmarks